Recalled/Assigned: Xavier Ouellet

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
I can see maybe having a debate on Jensen and Marchenko (I wouldn't want to have to depend on either in the case of injuries), but there's nothing to indicate that Sproul or Backman are NHL-ready.

While I agree that Sproul and Backman don't appear NHL ready neither did Jensen at any point before this pre-season. He was behind both of them on the depth chart just a few months ago.

I really don't think there is that big of a gap between any of the Wings top 5 defensive prospects and I'll be disappointed if any of the 5 don't make the NHL, despite it being all but assured that some of them will have to make it on another teams roster.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
i do not believe holland will waive kindl or lashoff to promote X in march anymore then he would on wednesday as their is no recent track record to support the notion he would beyond wishful thinking

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
While I agree that Sproul and Backman don't appear NHL ready neither did Jensen at any point before this pre-season. He was behind both of them on the depth chart just a few months ago.

I really don't think there is that big of a gap between any of the Wings top 5 defensive prospects and I'll be disappointed if any of the 5 don't make the NHL, despite it being all but assured that some of them will have to make it on another teams roster.

That's some lofty expectations. Will be fun to see what happens in the end :)

I'd be shocked if all 5 become NHL regulars, but I hope they do. I think Ouellet is a sure-bet at this point. So my prediction is 2 out of the other 4.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl

I'd be shocked if all 5 become NHL regulars, but I hope they do. I think Ouellet is a sure-bet at this point. So my prediction is 2 out of the other 4.

I really like Ouelette. Always have. He was my pick over all. Sproul imo will be the bust. Jensen will be on the level as Kindl. Marchenko doesn't look like anything special and it is too early to say on Backman.

As of right now, I believe there is only 1 future NHL caliber defenseman in the system. I think Ouelette is going to be the real deal, however. Watching Griffins games (through their losing streak), XO was the only silver lining night in/night out.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto

I'm not sure how lofty my expectations are of them. I think more of them will turn out to be Kindl type defenceman than top pairing guys but I think they all have the ability to play NHL minutes for someone in the NHL.

Even the furthest from the NHL (Sproul) has tools that would make many scouts, coaches and front office guys drool. He has a tremendous amount of work to do defensively but right now there couldn't be a prospect more tailor made for what the Wings current needs are. I just hope he finds a way to become at least somewhat responsible in his own end, because at the moment his tremendous offensive upside doesn't cover up his defensive lapses.

Ouellet to me is the opposite type of player. He is rock steady and unquestionably the more NHL ready, but I don't see any one skill he has that elevates him above the type of prospect every team has. He's just good at everything without being "Great" at any one thing.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
I'd rank the 5 of them, with predictions, as such at the moment....

1. Ouellet - Hockey sense is very high, great compete level, good two-way play and consistency, works hard and has noticeably good character; projects as a #2-3 two-way guy, which is where he'll eventually settle in

2. Marchenko - Very similar to Ouellet, maybe without the top-tier hockey sense, but with more reach and strength; also good compete level, two-way play, smarts, consistency, and character; projects as a #3-4 two-way guy, which is where he'll eventually settle in

3. Jensen - Top-tier speed and skating is what his game thrives on, but also works hard, has a great compete level, and plays physical; projects as a #5-6 all-around guy, will eventually settle in as a #6-7 guy

4. Backman - Yet another two-way cerebral player with consistency and good vision, but seriously lacks strength and has at times lacked confidence; projects as a #3-4 two-way guy, but will bust with the Wings and end up with another team or a career in the KHL/SHL

5. Sproul - Highest upside, lowest floor of the bunch, has great offensive instincts and a nasty shot, coupled with great size and skating mobility, but is a defensive liability who is prone to bone-headed plays; projects as a #2-3 offensive defenseman; will initially bust and end up with another team as a #6-7 guy

davecrockburn

Jun 8, 2011
I really like Ouelette. Always have. He was my pick over all. Sproul imo will be the bust. Jensen will be on the level as Kindl. Marchenko doesn't look like anything special and it is too early to say on Backman.

As of right now, I believe there is only 1 future NHL caliber defenseman in the system. I think Ouelette is going to be the real deal, however. Watching Griffins games (through their losing streak), XO was the only silver lining night in/night out.

I think Sproul will be a much better player at the NHL level that he is at the AHL level. He has all the tools to be a game changer in this league. He is the closest thing we will ever have to a Shea Weber. He has a booming shot, quick speed, and physical play. Only knock is his defensive play but the same could be said for guys like Karlsson and Subban coming into the league. The problem is that the Wings organization values players that are safe and consistent and give these kids shots at making the pros earlier.

Jensen has all the tools to be a great #6. Great speed, passing and reliability.

Dynheart

Aug 21, 2011
Do you guys think Hicketts will crack the NHL? He looks legit. Hopefully he can bulk up, as he's tiny.

Last edited:

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
It's hilarious that Holland intentionally ices an inferior team for faux depth. Even if we did have a rash of injuries on the blue line, I'd be very comfortable with having Jensen, Marchenko, or Backman called up. Ouelett has made it very evident that he's better than Kindl or Lashoff, and thus, one of them should be waived.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Do you guys think Hicketts will crack the NHL? He looks legit. Hopefully he can bulk up, as he's tiny.

He does not play tiny, but honestly this is so far down the line it is way too early to even guess.

He is excelling at the level he is at. Jiri Fischer might sound like a broken record in terms of that but it is what the organization likes to see, so he is up to expectations for his first season and likely encouraging the folks in Detroit like he has the posters on this board.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England

I think he's already pretty solid weight wise, he's just really small, and with 2 small parents unlikely to get much taller.

Can he make it in the NHL? Possibly. He wouldn't be the first small, quick, skilled defenceman to make it. Guys like Rafalski, Niedermeyer and Zidlicky show that it can be done. He's dominating junior, we just have to see how he does in the pros next year. He's supposed to have a realgud attitude and work ethic too.

I bet there's a ton of GM's kicking themselves right now for not chancing a 5th round pick on him though....

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
The reason to keep Lashoff around is because, in addition to being cheap and NHL-capable, he's in a reserve spot; the proverbial pressbox. If you dump him, you have to put either a prospect or a fragile (in terms of confidence) $2.4M guy in the pressbox. Neither is attractive. The best guy in the organization to be in that #7 reserve spot, by a wide margin, is Brian Lashoff. Even if you believe "he sucks."

For 1 more year yes I agree with you. But I'm pretty sure his deal is up at the end of the year and his spot should go to a kid that won't make it threw waivers. Once he hits FA he won't have too much bargaining power but he should not be retained to further increase the chances that a d-prospect with promise gets waived and claimed.

I really want Kindl moved however. No ******** I would retain .5 million no question for 3 years. And I would only ask for a 5th to 7th rounder back. He isn't a tire fire or anything it is just his playing style doesn't work with babcock's coaching style. Though I am happy he has been producing every now and then this year. If he can come into the trade deadline around 21-25 points that might further entice a team to bite the bullet and take on his contract.

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
XO should stay and either Kindl or Lashoff should go. Love to see Smith and XO pairing.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
waive lashoff and bench kindl

if one dman gets hurt well in goes kindl

if two dmen get hurt then call up jensen or marchenko

if three dmen get hurt at the same time we're screwed no matter what so who cares

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
Kronwall-Smith
Ericsson-DeKeyser
Quincey-Ouellet
Kindl

Would be a great defense. Screw you Holland.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Only 4 months and we'll ice that for the playoffs.

as much as i would love to think so, what makes you believe holland will bench experienced DMEN in the playoffs in favour of a rookie with what, maybe 10 NHL games played this season at that point?

i dont believe holland looks at the playoffs as the best testing ground for rookies at the expense of vets.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
as much as i would love to think so, what makes you believe holland will bench experienced DMEN in the playoffs in favour of a rookie with what, maybe 10 NHL games played this season at that point?

i dont believe holland looks at the playoffs as the best testing ground for rookies at the expense of vets.

It's what Holland/Babcocj did last season...

Gyldenlove

Jun 10, 2013
XO should be a top pairing guy in 4 years. His game is more complete than any D-man currently team, he has the size, the game sense and the work level. I think he needs much more experience to get up to speed playing against top forwards, but he will get there.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

They did it with Ericsson and DeKeyser...

They have done it up front with Abdelkader, Helm and Nyquist.

I believe barring an upgrade where this is no longer a massive issue that Ouellet is in the playoff plans. He played last year over Kindl for their final game.

Their playoff roster and six month roster have proved to be different things and rightfully so. Which one of their players have they ruined doing this, did Kreider get ruined in New York with this same theory?

As Henkka said it does things with the roster limits and such. That is the business angle we don't like, but it makes sense. I expect he will be up sometime in March to stay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad