X-GDT 12/19: Canada 4, Sweden 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lessy

Jul 21, 2004
Sudbury
Lessy: Not true, Markström is a crazy goalie. Brynäs might be playing terrible and the opposing team is bombarding Markström with pucks, and he won't let a single one in. Owuya let a couple of real easy one's in the net, Markström just won't let that happen. If there is one player that you should be hyping it's him, he's insanely good for his age and by far the most important Swedish player in this tournament. But the North American media has chosen to hype Hedman and MSP for a long time, and I just don't get it.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: There is no such thing as a sure thing in goal in this tournament. Is Markstrom the slight favourite to win goaltender of the tournament? I'd say so. Is he a shoo-in for the award? No chance.

Don't agree with me? Take a look at Marc-Andre Fleury's implosion in 2004. He was coming off a spectacular tournament in 2003 in which he was named the tournament's top goaltender. He was absolutely phenomenal in that tournament and the biggest reason why Canada had a sniff at gold. Fast forward a year later. Fleury has been chosen 1st overall in what may go down as the best draft in history. He is given a chance to go for gold on a Canadian team that is a step up from the 2003 version. What happens? A complete disaster for Canadian hockey.

My point is if you guys think Markstrom is an absolute god let me warn you. He has nowhere near the pedigree Fleury had going into 04 and he also doesn't have the International experience. I'm not saying I think Markstrom will have a Fleury-like tournament but to claim he is a lock to be lights out every game is naive. And honestly, I don't think Owuya was overly bad. He looked poor on the first Canadian goal. Other than that? Maybe a top goalie stops Benn's breakaway bid. The others were a deflection and a roof-job from the edge of the crease. Those aren't getting stopped by any teenage goaltender.

I agree that all the hype is going to MSP and Hedman and in the case of Hedman it is for very good reason. However, the hopes of the Swedish team lie in goal. If Markstrom doesn't excel and win goaltender of the tournament Sweden will not win gold. It's as simple as that.

Checker*

He is not a leader. JT is miles and miles ahead of the character that he has.

Hodgson is the best leader on this team, but picking Hickey is not a bad choice. He is respected by the players on this team.

Are you really knocking Pietrangelo's character? I'm going to assume that you just picked a poor choice of words here. While Pietrangelo isn't a vocal leader, he's humble, well-liked, and made quite the positive impact on the Blues organization with his excellent character.

I'm assuming that you misspoke and just meant he wasn't captain material or something.

Manyzer

Dec 20, 2008
Are you really knocking Pietrangelo's character? I'm going to assume that you just picked a poor choice of words here. While Pietrangelo isn't a vocal leader, he's humble, well-liked, and made quite the positive impact on the Blues organization with his excellent character.

I'm assuming that you misspoke and just meant he wasn't captain material or something.

The problem I have with Alex is that he can be negatively persuaded by those around him IMO. As a result, yes I would say he lacks (lacked) character. But how much of that concerns his maturity level rather then character? And that is not to say that he cannot grow out of it by any means, I'm sure he can and may have. I would also say that playing in the NHL and being around some of the brass they have has to pay dividends for him.

But to suggest that he is a leader of this team or has that opportunity is false. I don't think he is even on this team is it was not for the injury to Cuma. I would take JT and the constant beating and pressure he takes before Alex to lead.

And yes, looking back I did poorly word that one part. I would not say that JT is miles ahead in terms of character, JT himself has actually grown up a fair amount over the past year. He was a player who was not afraid to routinely take 2+ minute shifts.

Looking back, I should really substitute character for maturity and that is more accurate of the statement I was trying to make.

Checker*

The problem I have with Alex is that he can be negatively persuaded by those around him IMO. As a result, yes I would say he lacks (lacked) character. But how much of that concerns his maturity level rather then character? And that is not to say that he cannot grow out of it by any means, I'm sure he can and may have. I would also say that playing in the NHL and being around some of the brass they have has to pay dividends for him.

But to suggest that he is a leader of this team or has that opportunity is false. I don't think he is even on this team is it was not for the injury to Cuma. I would take JT and the constant beating and pressure he takes before Alex to lead.

And yes, looking back I did poorly word that one part. I would not say that JT is miles ahead in terms of character, JT himself has actually grown up a fair amount over the past year. He was a player who was not afraid to routinely take 2+ minute shifts.

Looking back, I should really substitute character for maturity and that is more accurate of the statement I was trying to make.

That makes more sense. Thanks. Yeah, I wouldn't argue that he should be given an "A" on the team. He doesn't strike me as the vocal leader type. He may never develop into that, and that's perfectly fine. There's nothing wrong with being a guy who quietly goes about their business and produces. I was just kind of shocked by your comment at first as I know that Alex impressed alot of people in St. Louis with his character. I'd agree he does need time to fully grow into his game though.

Schenn Him

Mar 19, 2008
SK
thehamiltonian.wordpress.com
I really want to see Brayden but if Tyrell is out I can see Kane as the guy being used.

I think Schenn is the closest of the guys who were cut to being a Tyrell type of player. With Tyrell out, they are losing one of their best bangers. Kane's a dynamite player though - it would just mean some of the other guys (Benn, Della Rovere, Cormier) could have to step up the drit.

DJIncognito

Jun 9, 2007
Fun game to be at :)

Did they show the giant Canada flag before and/or after the game in section 118?

PTmbp13

Jan 21, 2007
boring Swedish effort, yeah i know they were playing it softly, but some effortthey could managed? not so much efforts on offensive side. canada wanted to win swedes just skated around. canada looked good, but we dont know how sweden are when it will be points in it. hope the fins will show some effort to win

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Refs will always favour Canada in hockey, especially when they ARE canadian, which is a joke to begin with.

Doesn't happen in any other sport.

Seiza

Feb 28, 2002
Sweden
I better keep off these boards during the WJC if this whining keeps up.

This was an exhibition game, Canada was the better team, refs did a good job. Sweden has problems with the physical game, IMO MÃ¥rts should have brought a couple of physical players for the checking line.

Manyzer

Dec 20, 2008
That makes more sense. Thanks. Yeah, I wouldn't argue that he should be given an "A" on the team. He doesn't strike me as the vocal leader type. He may never develop into that, and that's perfectly fine. There's nothing wrong with being a guy who quietly goes about their business and produces. I was just kind of shocked by your comment at first as I know that Alex impressed alot of people in St. Louis with his character. I'd agree he does need time to fully grow into his game though.

Yes, I really do like him for the most part. He just needs to make sure he surrounds himself with the proper people. I'm not sure he will ever be a leader type of player, but he is very skilled. And the thing I do like about him is that he is a pretty jovial and light guy. With all the stress these guys face, you sometimes need those guys. But they really have to pick their spots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad