X-GDT 12/19: Canada 4, Sweden 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Personally, I don't think that physical play is the key to win WJC for Sweden.
I really question ability of this particular team to amtch Canada's physicality on small ice. It's too young.
Besides if we wanted to give Canada a physical battle we must have taken Johan Motin, Alexander Urbom, Anton Myllari, Martin Lundberg, Anton Gustafsson and Henrik Bjorklund.

It's pretty clear that Marts doesn't plan to win by physical presense, he has chosen skill. So in my opinion, while sure we must not be soft, Sweden must not try to outhit Canada. And that comes from a big physical hockey fan.

Some players like Torp, Andersson, Ullstrom and Lasu must be physical of course.

Funny you should say that. When the team was picked everyone, even some Americans posters, were wondering if this Canadian team was physical enough. They thought it was too small and picked too many skillful players for the small ice.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
Funny you should say that. When the team was picked everyone, even some Americans posters, were wondering if this Canadian team was physical enough. They thought it was too small and picked too many skillful players for the small ice.

This Team Sweden isn't big one physically too.

For Canada probably the only team that can be dangerous in physical play at this WJC is USA.

Analyzer*

You do realise he was constantly doing flying headshots. :rant::rant:

I think that's why he called him air torpedo.

I was unable to watch the game, but from the highlights, looks like Canada played very physical, which is good. I hope they can keep it up.

sbtatter

Feb 27, 2005
So based on that one game, tavares jumps back ahead of Hedman. See how they play from here on in.
Hodgson was the best Canadian, Boychuk had lots of jump, as did Eberle. Ellis's puck handling on the PP was a revelation to me.
Hedman was disapointing, not physical, MSP was a typical 17 year old in this tournament, so hard to star at that age, look at Tavares last year.
Esposito was better than I expected.
Teubert translated his hitting game well to this speed.
Interesting exhibition game

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I definitely like Nicholas Torp. If he somehow learns to play defense, he could be extremely useful in the future for Montreal.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
So based on that one game, tavares jumps back ahead of Hedman. See how they play from here on in.
Hodgson was the best Canadian, Boychuk had lots of jump, as did Eberle. Ellis's puck handling on the PP was a revelation to me.
Hedman was disapointing, not physical, MSP was a typical 17 year old in this tournament, so hard to star at that age, look at Tavares last year.
Esposito was better than I expected.
Teubert translated his hitting game well to this speed.
Interesting exhibition game

Too much analysis about extibition.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Too much analysis about extibition.

What's wrong with taking positives away from an exhibition game? Absolutely nothing. This is the first game the team has played together and they managed to beat Sweden. You guys just need to chill because your constant whining is becoming really ridiculous.

KRM

Jun 9, 2005
Gothenburg
Yes, I'm sure Hodgson said "tackles".

I know you can't read this but you are simply pathetic, how wrong of him to try to translate something a canadian player said to Swedish media. I would like you to try to squeeze out one single word in Swedish. Jävla as.

Lessy

Jul 21, 2004
Sudbury
the Boychuk - Hodgson - Eberle line played pretty well, but Eberle struggled a lot out there.

Tavares was all over the ice tonight and was pretty snake bitten but he had a great game. Sadly his line as a whole was looking pretty weak. I think they need to utilize him more on the PP as well, they're setting him up on the back door but they never tried that play once the entire game.

Really?

Now I'll preface this by saying I'm an Oilers fan but I was extremely impressed with Eberle tonight. He didn't have the numbers that Hodgson and Boychuk had but he had an outstanding game, albeit a weaker third I thought. One of the most heady games from an 18-year-old that you'll ever see. Small plays that don't show up on the scoresheet made him what I thought one of the best players on the ice tonight. He has real good cohesion with Hodgson as well.

Boychuk was the weak link on that line I thought. Yes he posted a couple of points but I was expecting much more from him. Hopefully he'll amp it up a little by Boxing Day.

lovethelight

Jun 3, 2008
Sweden
My bad, I thought you copied and pasted that from a news source. That's just why I found it funny that they used the word "tackle" instead of "hit". Wasn't trying to pick on you.

:laugh: misunderstanding then. My bad, for using "tackle" instead "hit"...up all night and tired ;)

Sorry for jumping to conclusions. :)

Last edited:

Lessy

Jul 21, 2004
Sudbury
Just an exhibition game but I thought Canada played a solid game and carried the play for basically the entire game...

FORWARDS

Tavares A
Night and day from last years WJC. His skating has improved tremendously and he's just a more mature player in every facet of the game. Had a few defensive gaffes but his offensive hockey sense is so much better than any other player on the ice. Just a real heady offensive player that's added a step or two from a year ago.

Tyrell B+
Loved the hit on Hedman but hated the fact that he left the game. He's going to be a key contributor for this team and hopefully he's alright. One of the top forecheckers we have at our disposal.

Ennis C-
This is one of the first games I've ever seen Ennis play and I wasn't impressed. He has some good wheels but I was disappointed with his skillset and intensity against elite competition. He was one of the worst forwards for Canada I thought.

Hodgson A
He and Tavares were probably the two best Canadian's in this one. He reminds me of a less physical version of Mike Richards. Could have had about 5 points and he had some ridiculous chemistry going on with Eberle. Bad giveaway which led to the second Swedish goal but other than that he was virtually flawless. A real heads up play to set up Tavares to open the scoring as well.

Eberle A-
Had a ridiculously underrated game. Made the kind of plays that don't show up on the scoresheet but are pivotal in the game. To be honest, after the second period I thought he was the best player on the ice. Cooled down a bit in the third but his playmaking and awareness at both ends of the ice were really good. Quite impressed with this guy.

Boychuk C+
I might be the only one but I was a bit disappointed with Boychuk last night. I know he got a couple points but I really thought he was the weak link on that line with Eberle and Hodgson. He killed quite a few offensive rushes with poor decision making and limited intensity. Hopefully he can ramp it up by Boxing Day because he's going to have to be a key contributor being a returnee. Needs to be more assertive I think and he had the same problem at last years tournament.

Cormier B
Didn't notice him too much but he did have a few nice hits on the forecheck. I'm thinking he can be one of the unsung heroes for this team when all is said and done.

Della Rovere C+
Reminds me a bit of a poor man's Stefan Legein. Nice energy and aggressiveness but can't be taking poor penalties like the one he took in the first. I really thought he was lucky not to get a major on that hit.

Benn B+
First game I've ever seen him play and I was pretty impressed. Nifty little move on the breakaway and had a few other good chances to score on a checking/energy line which was nice. Had a few great hits as well including that monster on the forecheck that gave Tyrell on Hedman a run for hit of the game.

Sonne C+
Didn't notice him very much at all. Had a few nice forecheck's going early on but really disappeared later in the game.

Esposito B
I like his versatility and the fact that he can play on any of the four lines. Had a few nice hits tonight and has the wheels to be a nice forechecker if Quinn elects to keep him in a checking role. Hopefully he can bring the emotion and intensity on a consistent basis.

Didomenico C-
In my opinion, he was Canada's worst forward on the night. Turned pucks over way too much and didn't have anything going offensively. It was the first time I've ever seen him play so I wasn't sure what his game was but he did nothing for me whatsoever last night. One of the few guys up front I was honestly disappointed with.

DEFENCE[/B

Hickey C+
Here's a guy that needs to be much better for this team to win gold. I wasn't overly impressed with him at all in any facet of the game. His outlet passing and poise under pressure are usually strong points in his game but they weren't there last night at all. He and Teubert are going to need to elevate a lot more if this team is going to shut down the big line of team USA on New Year's Eve. Got undressed a few times in one-on-one plays and I'd like to see him battle harder down low.

Teubert B-
For his first game at the WJC I thought he did OK. Translated to the speed of the game pretty well and had a few nice hits. He was far from the rock we need our two shutdown guys to be though. Two plays in particular had me worried. The first was when Moller split the defense and walked in on an uncontested breakaway. He's a nice player but Teubert and Hickey have to take that play away. The second was when we were a man short. Teubert made a strong play to win a battle and take full puck control. However he couldn't ice the puck with all the time in the world and it led to a great chance. He's going to have to play virtually mistake-free hockey because he really doesn't bring much offensively. I'm a bit worried that we don't have the same shutdown groupings that we've had in years past.

Aulie C+
A big guy back there but I was a bit disappointed with his play under pressure and his mean streak or lack thereof. At that size you need to be mean and throw your weight around to be the best you can be. I didn't see that from Aulie.

Myers B
Not a bad game from Myers at all. You can easily make a case that he was our best blueliner on the night. His mobility is fantastic and he made a few nice outlet passes. His offensive upside is obviously limited but if he can get a bit meaner he can be a real effective top 4 guy.

Subban C+
He was hot and cold for me as he usually is. Had a few nice hits but his hockey sense in the defensive zone is pretty poor and it showed at times. I know a lot of people are hating the rover role he's playing but I don't mind it that much. It's extremely high risk but it also generated a ton of opportunities. However, we gave up way too many shorthanded chances for my liking and one of them was converted, albeit in a meaningless way. I'd like to see his shot utilized more but I do think that bombs from the point don't play as big a role in this tournament as they do in the NHL. Down low PP's tend to be the most effective in a tournament like this for Canada.

Goloubef B
First game I've ever seen this guy play and I wasn't disappointed. The fact that I didn't notice him much is a nice testament to his steady play. His decision-making was nice and safe and while he wasn't overly physical or offensive, he got his job done.

Pietrangelo B-
He's a real wild card much in the same way that Benoit Pouliot was a few years ago for this team. One of the most naturally gifted players on the entire team (after Tavares he probably has the most natural ability). However he needs to ramp up the intensity and make stronger plays if he's going to get the minutes his talent suggests he can play. I'd love to see him play a more physical game and be harder on the puck. Did well to get that shot through that gave us a 2-0 lead but it just seems to me that he's a bit easy to knock off the puck, especially for a guy his size. Leaves a lot to be desired for me and I'd really like the intensity to be elevated before he sees elevated minutes at ES.

Ellis B
He was hot and cold for me, as I'm sure he will be all tournament. Reminds me a bit of Danny Syvret or Ian White from a few years ago. Made that awesome defensive play on the 3-on-1 but you can tell he is a bit overmatched in the defensive zone, especially when it comes to the physical play. He is a nice piece on the PP however. Made good decisions all night from the point but maybe not as good as Pierre would lead you to believe. I really don't see the need to have 8 defensemen on this team. If you're not comfortable with Ellis at ES and a guy goes down on the blueline you can give him a spot shift against weak opposition that adds up to maybe 4 minutes of ES time and a load of PP time. No need to jeopardize the 13th forward as it's obvious there's going to be injuries and struggles to produce up front.

Goalies

Tokarski A
Not busy but not bad either. Made some key saves and while I'm not the best when it comes to evaluating goaltenders, he looked pretty sharp in there with his rebound control, movement and positioning.

Pickard C+
To me he looked quite slow in the net as far as lateral movement is concerned and he got burnt twice with it. Granted, he didn't have much chance on the second goal but the first goal he has to get over there to make that save. With that being said he did make some nice stops but it's clear that Tokarski was the better tender on this night.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
So it was pretty one sided then huh? Well better now than during the competition games ahead.

Obvioulsy the Swedes also needed this one to get a feel of "small ice" hockey, and it's intensity.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
I never really liked tavares. To overhyped by the media. I think there were better candidates on who should captain team canada. Basictly being the "top overall" pick for 2009 gives him special treatment. Honestly I think Hickey, Pietrangelo,and hodgson were better candidates.

He was classless after hodgson gave him that beautiful pass and he scored. Hodgson went to hug tavares. Tavares just ignored him and did a cocky fist pump.

And one more thing he needs to pass the puck more... what a puck hogger......He was on a 2 on one, didn't pass... there was other times to where he should have passed the puck more....

I never did like taveres.... Overall I think the boychuk-hodgson-eberle line was great!

and to think this heh... an oiler prospect and canuck prospect have great chemistry :naughty:

Last edited:

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
What's wrong with taking positives away from an exhibition game? Absolutely nothing. This is the first game the team has played together and they managed to beat Sweden. You guys just need to chill because your constant whining is becoming really ridiculous.

Constant whining? About what? It's you who is whining here, I just gave my opinion that he overanalized extibition game.

eddy

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
I never really liked tavares. To overhyped by the media. I think there were better candidates on who should captain team canada. Basictly being the "top overall" pick for 2009 gives him special treatment. Honestly I think Hickey, Pietrangelo,and hodgson were better candidates.

He was classless after hodgson gave him that beautiful pass and he scored. Hodgson went to hug tavares. Tavares just ignored him and did a cocky fist pump.

And one more thing he needs to pass the puck more... what a puck hogger......He was on a 2 on one, didn't pass... there was other times to where he should have passed the puck more....

I never did like taveres.... Overall I think the boychuk-hodgson-eberle line was great!

and to think this heh... an oiler prospect and canuck prospect have great chemistry :naughty:

Thomas Hickey is actually the captain Tavares does have an 'A' though.
TSN is reporting that Tyrell suffered a knee injury and could be out for the tourny. I wonder if this means Kane or Hall comes in.http://www.tsn.ca/world_jrs/story/?id=260312&lid=headline&lpos=topStory_world_jrs

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad