X-GDT 12/19: Canada 4, Sweden 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

pouskin74*

What's wrong with taking positives away from an exhibition game? Absolutely nothing. This is the first game the team has played together and they managed to beat Sweden. You guys just need to chill because your constant whining is becoming really ridiculous.

he is allways like that :D there is more to come, no suprises if someone going to cry in to pillow after WJC:laugh:

Pellegrino

Oct 30, 2007
Sweden
What's wrong with taking positives away from an exhibition game? Absolutely nothing. This is the first game the team has played together and they managed to beat Sweden. You guys just need to chill because your constant whining is becoming really ridiculous.
The real question is if this game was ever a serious game, I mean Owuya instead of Markström... Would Devils ever bench Brodeur in a serious game? They didn't really sound disappointed after the game.

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
What's with all the Swedish fans whining?

It's a sign of things to come........A lot more whining ahead, people.

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
Oh no, you didn't. Now the Canucks are going to be all, "That's such a loser's mentality" and feel so good about themselves. :sarcasm:

Ok...Swedish team is great. I actually picked them to win Gold and so did most of HF. Even Pat Quinn said that Swedish team is very good and the most talented.

SO QUIT YOUR WHINING...........:shakehead

drew1234

Feb 6, 2008
Toronto
The real question is if this game was ever a serious game, I mean Owuya instead of Markström... Would Devils ever bench Brodeur in a serious game? They didn't really sound disappointed after the game.

You cant blame Owuya for the loss yesterday. I was pretty impressed with his play. Sweden was just dominated. The best two players offensivily I thought were Moller and Backlund. MSP and JJ were pretty much invisibile except a play here or there. Which is what I thought. You cant expect much from 17 year olds in a U-20 game. Hedman had a great SH goal at the end. 1st time ive seen him since last years WJC.

But Karlsson was the more prominant player yesterday on defense maybe because Hedman was benched a lot as they want to "save him" which is okay for exhibition. That big hit from Tyrell shook him up. But Karlsson made a lot of mistakes. Similiar to Doughty at the beginning but hes looking pretty good for ottawa. Clean up his game a bit and he can be a more complete player.

On a side note, maybe Owuya has been better then Marstrom in the practices. Just because you were drafted higher doesnt mean your better right now. Whatever goalie is "hot" you play. Since you are not the coach of sweden I dont think you see what goes on in the practices/scrimmages to say who is the better goalie to play. So please dont jump to conclusions.

Canada played both goalies. Why didnt Sweden? Maybe they thought wow Owuya is playing very well and is a better goalie vs Canada then Markstrom would be.

drew1234

Feb 6, 2008
Toronto
Ok...Swedish team is great. I actually picked them to win Gold and so did most of HF. Even Pat Quinn said that Swedish team is very good and the most talented.

SO QUIT YOUR WHINING...........:shakehead

Wow. HF loves to hype young players. This tourny is all about 19 year olds. IMO, Sweden is relying on Backlund, Moller and Markstrom to lead them. Thats not strong enough.

I believe Team USA is one of the favs. They will have the best line in WJC. Schroeder/Wilson/JVR. Yes Schroeder is young, but he showed last year he can compete. MSP and JJ are unknowns to this point.

Why do you think Canada went with Esposito over Hall or Kane. If we all drafted Esposito would be last. Hes 19 and more experienced.

USA is pretty much a 19 year old. That is why they are scary. Can their goaltending hold up is the only question I have.

Pellegrino

Oct 30, 2007
Sweden
You cant blame Owuya for the loss yesterday. I was pretty impressed with his play.

On a side note, maybe Owuya has been better then Marstrom in the practices. Just because you were drafted higher doesnt mean your better right now. Whatever goalie is "hot" you play. Since you are not the coach of sweden I dont think you see what goes on in the practices/scrimmages to say who is the better goalie to play. So please dont jump to conclusions.

Canada played both goalies. Why didnt Sweden? Maybe they thought wow Owuya is playing very well and is a better goalie vs Canada then Markstrom would be.
No offence, but you have no idea what you're talking about.

leafmon

Nov 13, 2006
I was pretty disapointed in Team Canada's PP. They need to put Pietrangelo and Hickey on the top pairing.

Ellis has a great shot, although for anyone who's seen him in the OHL I don't think I've ever seen him play a game where he hasn't hit the glass at least 5 times with it, so that was a plus tonight.

But Ellis just looked really indecisive with the puck, they were definitely giving him a ton of space up top but he was reluctant to move it a lot and the Swedish defenders were doing a good job of reading where he was moving it to.

I think the PP needs a major make over before the tournament begins.

Good point and I agree. Wasn't much for the rover game of Subban on the PP. Will be interesting to see if Can changes the back end on the PP next game. The front end is outstanding.
Always makes me laugh now to hear all the talk now of how JT has improved his skating when most of it is due to just growing another year. A

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
No offence, but you have no idea what you're talking about.

I would have to agree with him that Owuya played quite well, Sweden was quite outshot. However, its obvious that Markstrom (sp?) will be their starter and this really was just a warm game for Sweden.

I think Bob McKenzie mentioned how they're probably still a bit jet lagged, didn't start their #1 goalie. Sweden has more in the tank than what they showed I think. I think Canada did play very well though, I thought the officiating went Canada's way a few times, an odd hook or trip I was surprised they didn't get called for, and certainlyl the refs weren't letting up on Sweden, but I guess thats the way it goes sometimes.

Either way, the game got me even more super excited for the tournament.

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
You cant blame Owuya for the loss yesterday. I was pretty impressed with his play. Sweden was just dominated. The best two players offensivily I thought were Moller and Backlund. MSP and JJ were pretty much invisibile except a play here or there. Which is what I thought. You cant expect much from 17 year olds in a U-20 game. Hedman had a great SH goal at the end. 1st time ive seen him since last years WJC.

But Karlsson was the more prominant player yesterday on defense maybe because Hedman was benched a lot as they want to "save him" which is okay for exhibition. That big hit from Tyrell shook him up. But Karlsson made a lot of mistakes. Similiar to Doughty at the beginning but hes looking pretty good for ottawa. Clean up his game a bit and he can be a more complete player.

Markstrom's the starter and in many people's eyes the best goaltender in the tournament. Hot goaltending? Check his numbers out (Markstrom's).

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
Wow. HF loves to hype young players. This tourny is all about 19 year olds. IMO, Sweden is relying on Backlund, Moller and Markstrom to lead them. Thats not strong enough.

I believe Team USA is one of the favs. They will have the best line in WJC. Schroeder/Wilson/JVR. Yes Schroeder is young, but he showed last year he can compete. MSP and JJ are unknowns to this point.

Why do you think Canada went with Esposito over Hall or Kane. If we all drafted Esposito would be last. Hes 19 and more experienced.

USA is pretty much a 19 year old. That is why they are scary. Can their goaltending hold up is the only question I have.
Markstrom, Backlund, Moller, Hedman, MSP, Tedenby, Karlsson is enough to scare any team in this tournament. Backlund and Moller are two of the best players in the tournament and Markstrom is arguably the best goaltender in the tourney so yes that is enough.

leafmon

Nov 13, 2006
Another myth that will die at the WJC is all these puck hog comments. Down low JT is the shooter or playmaker. Great play one time where he threw a little backhander out front while he was being taken out behind the net. There will be some deft little setups by him before this is over (vintage Kane or Savard) down low.
And that amazing strip of the puck and freewheel back into the offensive zoom.....well look for more of that as Tavares is outstanding at stripping the puck from behind.
Haven't seen nearly as much of Hodgson but he played a great game last night and will be a steal where he was drafted .

Didn't feel real comfy at times when Subban had the puck. In the O he sometimes goes on these rushes that seem to last forever before he dishes the puck off. At this level he better just beat that first guy and head -man the puck or he could be in trouble.

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
Another myth that will die at the WJC is all these puck hog comments. Down low JT is the shooter or playmaker. Great play one time where he threw a little backhander out front while he was being taken out behind the net. There will be some deft little setups by him before this is over (vintage Kane or Savard) down low.
And that amazing strip of the puck and freewheel back into the offensive zoom.....well look for more of that as Tavares is outstanding at stripping the puck from behind.
Haven't seen nearly as much of Hodgson but he played a great game last night and will be a steal where he was drafted .

Didn't feel real comfy at times when Subban had the puck. In the O he sometimes goes on these rushes that seem to last forever before he dishes the puck off. At this level he better just beat that first guy and head -man the puck or he could be in trouble.
That's what he did for the most part last night so hopefully he keeps on doing that.

Canadian

Mar 1, 2002
Markham, Ontario
Don’t read too much into yesterday’s game, at least not on Sweden’s end. I don’t think some of the Swedish players were taking it too seriously, at least not Jacob Markstrom and Mark Owuya. Having the luxury to attend the game, I noticed that Markstrom and Owuya were busier catching the beginning of the second period intermission entertainment than re-joining their teammates in the dressing room to regroup. This shows you the interest level they had in yesterday’s Pre-Competition Game.

Like some of the other board members have stated, I believe Mark Owuya has all the right tools to be a solid goaltender. However, it seems that his focus is lacking somewhat. While Owuya made some good routine saves, I noticed he needs to improve on his ability to track the puck. At times, it looked like he was flopping around in his crease because he didn’t know where the puck was. I don’t know if he saw the puck on Alex Pietrangelo’s goal or not since I was in the opposite end of the rink, but it didn’t look like he was screened whatsoever.

As for Victor Hedman, I thought his play was slightly above average. I didn’t really notice him for the most part, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing. I thought he positioned himself well, defensively, and he was able to pitch in with a goal. I believe the latter is most telling, the fact that he scored with approximately two minutes left in the game tells me this guy will give you a full sixty-minutes effort and there is no quit even in a losing effort.

As for Magnus Svensson-Paajarvi, he was definitely invisible out there. For most of the first period, I was looking for him and couldn’t find him. At one point, I asked my friend, “Is Svensson-Paajarvi not playing tonight?” It wasn’t until Svensson-Paajarvi was right in front of me behind the net that I said, “There he is.”

I thought Oscar Moller was definitely Team Sweden’s best player on the ice yesterday. I can definitely see why Moller is playing for the Los Angeles Kings. He showed great hustle and reminded me of an Energizer bunny who just kept going and going.

On a joking note, I think the reason why Nichlas Torp was flying around and lifting himself off his feet was because he wanted to spend sometime in the penalty box where he could be taunted by some female who was strutting her stuff.

In regard to Team Canada, I thought John Tavares played quite well. For a player who was criticized for his poor skating ability last season, his skating has improved quite a bit. In fact, I distinctively remember when Tavares used his improved skating ability and his body positioning to re-enter the offensive zone for a scoring chance. That play alone showed me with a little more work on his skating and some added muscle mass, he might just be the real deal.

As for Ryan Ellis, I believe for him to make an impact in the NHL, he is going to need to put on quite a bit of muscle. There is no doubting that Ellis has the offensive tools, but because of his small stature, it is a high-risk reward. I remember at one point of the game, Ellis had to retreat all the way back into his own zone because a Swedish player was skating after him. I’m sure Ellis has quite a bit of speed, but because of his size, I think he was afraid to try to out skate the opposing player since the Swedish player could have skated with him and perhaps knock him right off the puck. With some added size, Ellis should be able to power his way backup ice without too much difficulty.

Like a previous board member stated, Ellis was hot and cold all night, he was on for a powerplay goal and a shorthanded goal against.

Anyways, this is just my two cents.

Last edited:

Manyzer

Dec 20, 2008
I never really liked tavares. To overhyped by the media. I think there were better candidates on who should captain team canada. Basictly being the "top overall" pick for 2009 gives him special treatment. Honestly I think Hickey, Pietrangelo,and hodgson were better candidates.

He was classless after hodgson gave him that beautiful pass and he scored. Hodgson went to hug tavares. Tavares just ignored him and did a cocky fist pump.

And one more thing he needs to pass the puck more... what a puck hogger......He was on a 2 on one, didn't pass... there was other times to where he should have passed the puck more....

I never did like taveres.... Overall I think the boychuk-hodgson-eberle line was great!

and to think this heh... an oiler prospect and canuck prospect have great chemistry :naughty:

He is not a leader. JT is miles and miles ahead of the character that he has.

Hodgson is the best leader on this team, but picking Hickey is not a bad choice. He is respected by the players on this team.

Lessy

Jul 21, 2004
Sudbury

Agreed with certain parts.

You really can't blame Owuya for the loss whatsoever. The result would have been the same with Markstrom in net. Canada dominated the game even though it is only a pretournament contest which means zip in the grand scheme of things.

Another thing I agree with you on is the ridiculous expectations of MSP. People are touting this kid to dominate the tournament. It is a 19-year-old tournament. You have to be a pretty special player to dominate as a draft eligible player. There's a reason Canada cut 4 guys of MSP's caliber and draft ranking: they aren't ready for the bigtime in this tournament yet and only elite, borderline generational talents make a substantial impact as 17-year-olds in this tournament. Sorry MSP isn't one of those guys. Nice prospect? For sure. Potential top 5 pick? Most likely. Elite prospect? No. That's reserved for the Hedman's and Tavares' of this year not the MSP's.

However, I have to disagree with your comment on Owuya. He will not get in any significant games in the tournament barring an injury to Markstrom. Markstrom is the better goaltender and he's one of the three top dogs in the tournament with Pickard/Tokarski and McCollum all in the same breath. He will be in net for the Swedes should these teams meet again and I fully expect him to be very good.

Systemfel

<b><i>Hockey Talk by Country</b></i>
Jun 20, 2004
Gothenburg
You really can't blame Owuya for the loss whatsoever. The result would have been the same with Markstrom in net. Canada dominated the game even though it is only a pretournament contest which means zip in the grand scheme of things.
Perhaps. But Markström is one of those goalies who will flat out steal games. Often. Last night could have been just another crazy performance by Markström.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
I would have to agree with him that Owuya played quite well, Sweden was quite outshot. However, its obvious that Markstrom (sp?) will be their starter and this really was just a warm game for Sweden.

I think Bob McKenzie mentioned how they're probably still a bit jet lagged, didn't start their #1 goalie. Sweden has more in the tank than what they showed I think. I think Canada did play very well though, I thought the officiating went Canada's way a few times, an odd hook or trip I was surprised they didn't get called for, and certainlyl the refs weren't letting up on Sweden, but I guess thats the way it goes sometimes.

Either way, the game got me even more super excited for the tournament.

Owuya played pretty good nobody is arguing. But the guy made a ridiculous point.

svartgul

Hata Löven
May 9, 2007
Beyond the Infinite
www.northpower.nu
Lessy: Not true, Markström is a crazy goalie. Brynäs might be playing terrible and the opposing team is bombarding Markström with pucks, and he won't let a single one in. Owuya let a couple of real easy one's in the net, Markström just won't let that happen. If there is one player that you should be hyping it's him, he's insanely good for his age and by far the most important Swedish player in this tournament. But the North American media has chosen to hype Hedman and MSP for a long time, and I just don't get it.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
What did people think of Esposito? Didn't watch the entire game but I saw him backchecking hard and throwing his weight around, that's not really is game but playing with Sonne and Dido I'm guessing that's more or less his role on the team, not sure if he played PP, hopefully he will in the real tourney.

What did you guys think of him? And with Tyrell out, will he play with Tavares?

Schenn Him

Mar 19, 2008
SK
thehamiltonian.wordpress.com
What did people think of Esposito? Didn't watch the entire game but I saw him backchecking hard and throwing his weight around, that's not really is game but playing with Sonne and Dido I'm guessing that's more or less his role on the team, not sure if he played PP, hopefully he will in the real tourney.

What did you guys think of him? And with Tyrell out, will he play with Tavares?

I thought Esposito played really well. He wasn't the best player on the team, but I don't think that is his role with this team. He was solid. I definitely noticed him on the backcheck. He's a very good skater.

I think it depends on how long Tyrell is out for, and if they replace him on the roster. If they replace him, hopefully they take another banger like Tyrell, instead of just taking the next guy on the list.

Talus

Nov 2, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
I am currently a student at Saint Mary's University, coming from a low-income family and trying to make it on my own through loans, a part-time job at Sobey's and my savings, but once again I find myself heavily disappointed and disgusted by the extremist play of Team Canada in an exhibition game. I'm not saying not to play physical but show some sportsmanship and represent our country with class for once.

Who cares if you work for Sobey's and you go to university.
All I get from your post is you are an ignoramus and would be more at home watching table tennis than hockey.

Manyzer

Dec 20, 2008
I thought Esposito played really well. He wasn't the best player on the team, but I don't think that is his role with this team. He was solid. I definitely noticed him on the backcheck. He's a very good skater.

I think it depends on how long Tyrell is out for, and if they replace him on the roster. If they replace him, hopefully they take another banger like Tyrell, instead of just taking the next guy on the list.

Tyrell is out. I would bet the discussion the brass are having now, can they replace Tyrell with someone already in their line up. If so, then it will most likely be either Kane or Duchene. If not, they have a tough decision. If Kadri is near 100%, they will take him over Schenn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad