Post-Game Talk: x - Edmonton Oilers

What is your favourite type of x?

• Total voters

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
When all of RNH, Yamamoto, Kassian, Neal, and Kahun have unperformed relative to expectation at the start of the season ... that's not just "well a couple of guys are down and Puljujarvi cancels that out".

I like what Jesse has brought but his 13 goals don't make up for like the combined 50-60 we should be getting from Kassian + Yamamoto + RNH (5 on 5).

But the broader point that just shows you McDavid and Draisaitl don't need everything to go perfect, not everything has gone perfect this year. Just give them one top pairing D guy (Klefbom or Nurse, doesn't even matter who) who is actually playing and not hurt and one good starter (Talbot 16-17 or Smith Jan 2020 onwards) and voila ... playoffs with a winning record.

It's actually kind of frightening if Chiarelli wasn't a total moron and hadn't bet the damn farm on an unproven KHL goalie and instead got an experienced NHL guy to help Talbot out during his down year ... Chiarelli might still be employed here, lol.

The bar is that low and he still found a way to f*** that up.

My point is last season’s offense was largely on the back of DRY (Draisaitl) and a recovering McDavid. This season it’s largely McDrai. Neal and Kassian weren’t as good last year as their point totals suggested (especially Neal), they gave back a lot of what they produced.

This team is better this year because of Smith (which you’ve pointed out) and more production from the blue line. McDrai are a constant. You could say that Pulju, Barrie and Nurse (his increased offensive output) have covered off for Neal and Kassian falling off and the slighter dips in Nuge and Yams production.

The bottom 6 forwards are about as useful offensively. Neal and Kassian put up most of their offense while on the PP (Neal) or playing with McDrai 5v5 (Kassian).

I like Holland but they need another top 6 guy that can help the 2nd line and the third line needs to be more productive next season. I think the third line could be handled by Kahun - McLeod - Holloway but I’d try to sign a proven 3rd liner to put in one of those spots to be safe.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
My point is last season’s offense was largely on the back of DRY (Draisaitl) and a recovering McDavid. This season it’s largely McDrai. Neal and Kassian weren’t as good last year as their point totals suggested (especially Neal), they gave back a lot of what they produced.

This team is better this year because of Smith and more production from the blue line. McDrai are a constant. You could say that Pulju, Barrie and Nurse (his increased offensive output) have covered off for Neal and Kassian falling off and the slighter dips in Nuge and Yams production.

The bottom 6 forwards are about as useful offensively. Neal and Kassian put up most of their offense while on the PP (Neal) or playing with McDrai 5v5 (Kassian).

McDavid + Draisaitl + .915 goalie + 1 actual top pairing D who isn't hurt (ahem Klefbom) = playoffs.

Basically.

The fact that the previous GM could not even clear that low of a bar is embarrassing. We missed the playoffs twice with McDavid/Draisaitl, never should have happened.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
McDavid + Draisaitl + .915 goalie + 1 actual top pairing D who isn't hurt (ahem Klefbom) = playoffs.

Basically.

The fact that the previous GM could not even clear that low of a bar is embarrassing. We missed the playoffs twice with McDavid/Draisaitl, never should have happened.

Don’t disagree

Enjoying the moment, but looking ahead there needs to be an upgrade for 2LW and some sort of proven 3rd line driver to take another step. They’ll need to find another starter as well. D should be able to be handled by internal options but will need a stop gap if Klefbom isn’t back and they don’t re-sign Barrie

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
Clinch playoffs, beat the Canucks and 4 mcpoints.

What could be better? Other than, like, 5+ mcpoints I guess.

Maybe a couple of dream AHL call-ups? :DD

It was good Vancouver was in the game. Hopefully the Oil will continue to take them seriously & finish real strong.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Kulikov is such a mixed bag. He's mostly a physical shut down defender with mediocre break out passes, but a few times a game you'll see him make a really good offensive read or really good pass and it's as if he's having a flashback to his junior days.

Either way he's an upgrade on Russell.

Kulikov looked a lot quicker to my eye yesterday. Looked like he upped his tempo a bit. Maybe its just the Canucks though.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Don’t disagree

Enjoying the moment, but looking ahead there needs to be an upgrade for 2LW and some sort of proven 3rd line driver to take another step. They’ll need to find another starter as well. D should be able to be handled by internal options but will need a stop gap if Klefbom isn’t back and they don’t re-sign Barrie
Goalie and Top 6 LW are my summer wish list as I believe Holloway and McLeod will be full time NHLers next year ready to contribute. I think goalie should be easy to find given some of the UFAs and some teams looking to get something instead of losing a goalie to the expansion draft. If Kulikov looks good into playoffs I don't mind re-signing him as insurance if Klef can't return. Worst case he plays 3rd pairing and whoever is left of Jones/Lagesson after expansion is left in the press box as depth. I'm comfortable going with Larsson/Bear/Bouchard on the right side next year as I just don't see Barrie taking a 2-3 year deal that would be required for him to be worth re-signing. I certainly wouldn't go any longer than that as for a small guy Barrie isn't an elite skater. If he loses a step into his early 30s I could see him falling off a cliff beyond a 2-3 year deal.

BigFuzzyDice

the giant Kane in your azz
Jul 8, 2016
This Smith?!
This guy who threw his own d men routinely under the bus in Arizona?!
The one who couldn't stop a slow moving beach ball against Chicago?!
This 40 year old guy!? Our fearless leader?!

Yeah. That's our Michael Jeffrey Jordan Smith. Pass the crow over.
Some things get better with age.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
I like what Jesse has brought but his 13 goals don't make up for like the combined 50-60 we should be getting from Kassian + Yamamoto + RNH (5 on 5).
I think you are kind of exaggerating. I did some quick calculations (sue me if they're ballpark). Based on the rate the players scored last season (only goals, not assists) the number below represents how far off that pace they are through fifty games this season.

Neal - 13 (played only 24/50 games)
Yamamoto - 12 (played 48/50) so really the only guy that is way down and actually played the games.
Kassian -10 (played 27/50)

Mostly the rest of the roster is reasonably close to the rate of scoring from the previous season.
Draisaitl -6
RNH -3
Archibald, Khaira and Haas -2 each
Chiasson equals his scoring rate from last season

McDavid is +4
Larsson is +2
Nurse is a massive +11
JP is found money at +13
And Barrie vs Klefbom is a +3

It would appear that the '50-60' extra goals you were expecting from Kassian+Yamamoto+RNH is not a realistic number, at least based on what those guys produced last year. By my count those three guys have contributed 25 fewer goals this season than could have been expected based on last season. A far cry from 50, and a number that is actually perfectly replaced by the +24 goals the team got from Nurse and Puljujarvi.

McDavid and Draisaitl haven't gone on some unforeseen tear .... in fact combined they are -2 vs their scoring rate last season. I would say the glaring disappointments are Neal, who has barely played, and Yamamoto who is kind of without excuse. The stud beyond belief is Darnell Nurse. Pay that man his money.

Reactions: Behind Enemy Lines

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Canadian Hockey Media is a joke. So far up Matthews nostrils they have no idea what’s going on in the rest of the league. Travesty that a generational Canadian super star, the best since Gretzky/Lemiuex in McDavid gets ignored by these assholes all in the name of ratings and making Leafs fans cry less.

Most Leaf fans know McDavid is better . The only ones that argue the point are trolls .

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Gonna be fun to watch all these "experts" pretend they didn't have the Oilers as one of the worst teams in Canada before the season started. I don't think they've ever been as out of touch with the team this much before. I don't care that they are wrong, but they never own up to it, and it happens every fall. That smug asshole Mike Johnson originally had them 6th and said the Flames had potential to reach the 3rd round. Button, Ferraro, O'Neill, Stewart, etc.

cCDH28R.gif

Dont lesson to O'Pig. he thinks Marner & Matthews are better then McJesus and Drai. Only good thing O'Pig is good at is first in line at the Buffett Line

Reactions: Del Preston

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Hasn't really been discussed but James Neal seems like such a great teammate, keeping things light and always making the players around him smile and laugh. I hope he sticks with the organization after retirement (maybe as an assistant coach in AHL)

He has actually been playing better recently. Interesting decisions coming. We still won that trade. Smith and Neal both seem to be happy to be outta Calgary

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Draisaitl is putting up the points but he does seem a bit off to me. He seems a bit reluctant to engage physically. I think he’s probably banged up a bit. He plays a ton of minutes. He might be saving himself for playoffs. He’s still doing his part and more obviously though.

A banged up Draisaitl is still out scoring MVP Matthews . McDavid factor . McDavid is only scoring more points because of weaker opponents . Don't you dare mention we play the same teams except TML view themselves as the best in the north don't have to play themselves . Logic on HF boards = Homer

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
I want McDavid to open a burger joint . Earn Mcpoints with every purchase . Have a Matthews MVP burger . Matthews could buy a MVP . No need for the Toronto media to try and get him one .

Right now Matthews MVP burger is at McDonalds

Its what the media is serving up to their customers

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Neal, Kassian, Yamamoto, RNH, are all worse than last year, by fairly large margins.

Neal scored at a 28 goal pace last year, Yamamoto at a 33 goal clip, Kassian at a 21 goal rate. None are even close to that this year. Turris is also scoring at below Riley Sheahan's level. And RNH has been hot garbage scoring wise 5 on 5. Ennis can't even get into the lineup regularly anymore.

The forward group around McDavid and Draisaitl has taken a step backwards, Yamamoto gets a pass because a sophomore slump is generally normal, but the other guys, nah.

Still you see what McDavid and Draisaitl do when they get good goaltending.

Negative Nancy ? Why not mention the improved D scoring ?

nally

When you have something to say, silence is a lie
Sponsor
Nov 8, 2004
London, Ontario
www.Directdial.com
K, I think it is time to start cheering for Winnipeg for a few games...
I even cheered for Toronto last night, yuck! Of COURSE they didn't score on that empty net chance and then lost in OT to give their golden boy more confidence and make the fanbase more insufferable.

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
We clinch a playoff berth and McDavid has a four point night, but Toronto and Montreal are so important that Caufield deserves a double post on nhl.com

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad