Post-Game Talk: x - Edmonton Oilers

What is your favourite type of x?

• Total voters

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Give McDavid and Draisaitl .915 or better goaltending and you have playoffs.

Why the Oilers made that so complicated is beyond me.

Like this season, the forward group beyond those two actually sucks donkey balls, they are considerably worse than last year. They've regressed there hard.

Smith has been good since January 2020, well before this season.

To be honest they don't really play that great defensively, they still make brain dead plays defensively routinely (like what the f*** was Khaira doing on that first goal), but Smith will make a big time stop when he needs to. The defence on the JT Miller goal was atrocious too, both Nurse and Barrie decided to play the same left side of the ice leaving no one but a rookie McLeod to cover the middle/right side.

How is this season’s forward group worse than last year’s?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
How is this season’s forward group worse than last year’s?

Neal, Kassian, Yamamoto, RNH, are all worse than last year, by fairly large margins.

Neal scored at a 28 goal pace last year, Yamamoto at a 33 goal clip, Kassian at a 21 goal rate. None are even close to that this year. Turris is also scoring at below Riley Sheahan's level. And RNH has been hot garbage scoring wise 5 on 5. Ennis can't even get into the lineup regularly anymore.

The forward group around McDavid and Draisaitl has taken a step backwards, Yamamoto gets a pass because a sophomore slump is generally normal, but the other guys, nah.

Still you see what McDavid and Draisaitl do when they get good goaltending.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Great game. I don't think the Canucks were ever really in it. The score flatters them.

In celebration of the Oilers making the playoffs officially, and now having the most regulation wins of any team since January 30th, I'd like to take a moment to remind fans on here endlessly complaining about the players / coach / GM of how it could be (and has been, not too long ago).

11 years ago, the Edmonton Oilers' top players every night were:
Dustin Penner
Sam Gagner
Gilbert Brule
Shawn Horcoff
Patrick O'Sullivan
Lubomir Visnovsky
Jeff Deslauriers

Remember this before drafting your next post about how much the current team sucks.
I broke out in a cold sweat when I read this. The scary part is there were many fans who were optimistic about that group.

Reactions: The Panther

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Neal, Kassian, Yamamoto, RNH, are all worse than last year, by fairly large margins.

Neal scored at a 28 goal pace last year, Yamamoto at a 33 goal clip, Kassian at a 21 goal rate. None are even close to that this year. Turris is also scoring at below Riley Sheahan's level. And RNH has been hot garbage scoring wise 5 on 5. Ennis can't even get into the lineup regularly anymore.

The forward group around McDavid and Draisaitl has taken a step backwards, Yamamoto gets a pass because a sophomore slump is generally normal, but the other guys, nah.

I think it's countered by more production from the defense and Larsson being good again.

In short, the top end (McDrai) has gotten better somehow, and the rest have become more like a typical Tippett team: plug and play, everyone can play adequately.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I think it's countered by more production from the defense and Larsson being good again.

In short, the top end (McDrai) has gotten better somehow, and the rest have become more like a typical Tippett team: plug and play, everyone can play adequately.

The scoring from the D has helped, but the forward support group (meaning non-McDavid/Draisaitl) players has basically regressed from last season where some progress was made (they could actually score 5 on 5 without needing McDavid thanks to DRY line).

I mean if Neal had 19 goals this year, and Kassian had 15, Yamamoto had 17-20 we'd probably be sitting first in the division.

It is what it is.

The bottom line though is anytime McDavid and Draisaitl get .915 or better goaltending, the Oilers are basically a playoff team.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

Luckily Barrie and Nurse have helped to offset the rest of our forward group not being as productive this year.

But generally I’m not sure people understand just how much this team has been relying on McDavid lately.

Since April 1 the Oilers are 9-3-1. That’s a great record. Over that span the team has scored 41 goals. McDavid has points on 28 of those goals. So over a 13 game stretch the team has produced 13 goals where McDavid doesn’t get a point on the play. Offensively the team is as shallow as it’s ever been. McDavid just happens to be scoring at a pace not seen in 25 years.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
The scoring from the D has helped, but the forward support group (meaning non-McDavid/Draisaitl) players has basically regressed from last season where some progress was made (they could actually score 5 on 5 without needing McDavid thanks to DRY line).

I mean if Neal had 19 goals this year, and Kassian had 15, Yamamoto had 17-20 we'd probably be sitting first in the division.

It is what it is.

The bottom line though is anytime McDavid and Draisaitl get .915 or better goaltending, the Oilers are basically a playoff team.
True, but the league has basically turned into a two-system approach. Good teams either get balanced scoring through 3.5 lines or they're extremely top heavy and rely on 2-4 players to generate most of the offense. There are maybe 3 or 4 elite teams in the entire league that have both elite top end talent and balanced scoring throughout (Vegas, Colorado, Tampa, Carolina, maybe Florida but it's only been 1 season so far).

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011

I dunno, I’m a fan of Neal and he scored a lot of goals the first half of the season but was useless the second half (looked good in the play ins) and was awful 5v5.

Kassian was also pretty useless the second half of the season. He’s had some flashes so maybe he’ll show up in the playoffs provided he’s healthy

Yams and Nuge have been disappointing as well but they’re producing adequately (Yams really needs to score a damn goal sometime soon).

Pulju, Kahun and McLeod have helped make up for the other players stepping back a bit (especially Puljujarvi who has been a revelation) and the Oilers only had Ennis for a short while last season. He should be drawing in more than he has been.

I’d say it’s about even, maybe slightly worse overall

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
True, but the league has basically turned into a two-system approach. Good teams either get balanced scoring through 3.5 lines or they're extremely top heavy and rely on 2-4 players to generate most of the offense. There are maybe 3 or 4 elite teams in the entire league that have both elite top end talent and balanced scoring throughout (Vegas, Colorado, Tampa, Carolina, maybe Florida but it's only been 1 season so far).

My point was more that there hasn't been some huge culture shift for the Oilers.

The goalie just makes a goddamn big save now and again. But it's not like everything has gone perfect this year (actually by no means, the forward support has been awful). And really if I'm being honest the D structure still makes a ton of dumb errors, I think all four of the goals the Oilers allowed in the last two games were examples of "what the f*** was that" silly errors.

It's mainly the goaltending. If we have Mike Smith playing like this or if Talbot's 16-17 game didn't fall apart we wouldn't have missed the playoffs twice in a row.

McDavid and Draisaitl really only need a little bit of help.

Reactions: BigFuzzyDice

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I dunno, I’m a fan of Neal and he scored a lot of goals the first half of the season but was useless the second half (looked good in the play ins) and was awful 5v5.

Kassian was also pretty useless the second half of the season. He’s had some flashes so maybe he’ll show up in the playoffs provided he’s healthy

Yams and Nuge have been disappointing as well but they’re producing adequately (Yams really needs to score a damn goal sometime soon).

Pulju, Kahun and McLeod have helped make up for the other players stepping back a bit (especially Puljujarvi who has been a revelation) and the Oilers only had Ennis for a short while last season. He should be drawing in more than he has been.

I’d say it’s about even, maybe slightly worse overall

It's not even close to even, lol. Goals scored in the first half of the season still count, you know that right? Like Neal helped us win several games that we probably don't win otherwise (the LA game early in the year, the Islanders game for sure, among 2-3 others ... that's like an 8-10 point swing in the standings).

This year how many games can you count where a forward other than McDavid/Draisaitl helped really power us to a win ... *crickets*.

Kahun has been nothing special.

It just tells you how special players like McDavid and Draisaitl and yes Smith are and the job they've done this year.

Culture schmulture, the same exact team under Koskinen was 3-6 ... get a goalie who can make a f***ing save and they immediately have the best record in the division from that point on. Goaltending sorta matters, if Talbot's play had not dropped off or we had this version of Smith in 17-18 and 18-19, we probably make the playoffs both of those years.

LemmyUlanov55

4th line grinder
Apr 3, 2016
X! Hell yeah!
Already preparing myself mentally for some stupid o'clock alarm times to watch Oilers playoff hockey.. :naughty:

Reactions: RattsSSV

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
My point was more that there hasn't been some huge culture shift for the Oilers.

The goalie just makes a goddamn big save now and again. But it's not like everything has gone perfect this year (actually by no means, the forward support has been awful). And really if I'm being honest the D structure still makes a ton of dumb errors, I think all four of the goals the Oilers allowed in the last two games were examples of "what the f*** was that".

It's mainly the goaltending. If we have Mike Smith playing like this or if Talbot's 16-17 game didn't fall apart we wouldn't have missed the playoffs twice in a row.

McDavid and Draisaitl really only need a little bit of help.
Obviously the team still has some major issues. Despite the record, the team can often look outmatched on the ice for long periods because they lack more dynamic players beyond McDavid, Draisaitl and Nurse. And even those 3 can look outmatched because they play a specific style that can be defended against if a team commits itself to it.

But they've made structural strides and with a Tippett team sometimes you don't need too much scoring to win a game.

Reactions: AT14C

Oilerfan88

Jan 26, 2021
I hate to say it. I think Drai is the problem with the DRY line lol. Today Yams, Nuge and Kahun had great chemistry. Also I think tippet needs to understand that Drai can’t play mcdavid minutes. He looks gassed at times.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I hate to say it. I think Drai is the problem with the DRY line lol. Today Yams, Nuge and Kahun had great chemistry. Also I think tippet needs to understand that Drai can’t play mcdavid minutes. He looks gassed at times.

I mean lets see them do that against an actual better NHL team, the Canucks look life less right now. If they can generate high danger scoring chances and actually even score against one of the playoff teams, then I'll be impressed, but in those games that Kahun-RNH-Yamo combo seems to go invisible.

Reactions: Snipes45

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011
It's not even close to even, lol. Goals scored in the first half of the season still count, you know that right? Like Neal helped us win several games that we probably don't win otherwise (the LA game early in the year, the Islanders game for sure, among 2-3 others ... that's like an 8-10 point swing in the standings).

This year how many games can you count where a forward other than McDavid/Draisaitl helped really power us to a win ... *crickets*.

Kahun has been nothing special.

It just tells you how special players like McDavid and Draisaitl and yes Smith are and the job they've done this year.

Culture schmulture, the same exact team under Koskinen was 3-6 ... get a goalie who can make a f***ing save and they immediately have the best record in the division from that point on. Goaltending sorta matters, if Talbot's play had not dropped off or we had this version of Smith in 17-18 and 18-19, we probably make the playoffs both of those years.

Sure man, they do. But go back and check who was scoring all of the goals in the second half of the season, if it wasn’t DRY (before they were broken up shortly before the season ended), it was McDavid on largely solo efforts. This year the biggest difference outside of McDavid being better than Drai was last year (and Drai was amazing last year) is they have Pulju back and he’s playing like a top 6 winger where ever he plays and they actually have scoring (lots) from the D. The role players have done about the same, some better some worse. The biggest disappointments are technically Nuge and Yams. If they both get going heading into the playoffs the team will be dangerous

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011

Didn’t they play as a line a few games ago and look terrible?

Reactions: Drivesaitl

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
RM deserves so many points. Really impressed by his game and great to see JP growing game after game
Yup, much like Puljujarvi this year I wouldn't worry about the point totals, the on ice play speaks for itself with McLeod and the numbers will come.

You don't know how excited I am to see this team once Bouchard, McLeod, Holloway and Broberg are regulars. It's going to feel strange having quality depth as soon as next season after 10+ years without it.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Sure man, they do. But go back and check who was scoring all of the goals in the second half of the season, if it wasn’t DRY (before they were broken up shortly before the season ended), it was McDavid on largely solo efforts. This year the biggest difference outside of McDavid being better than Drai was last year (and Drai was amazing last year) is they have Pulju back and he’s playing like a top 6 winger where ever he plays and they actually have scoring (lots) from the D. The role players have done about the same, some better some worse. The biggest disappointments are technically Nuge and Yams. If they both get going heading into the playoffs the team will be dangerous

When all of RNH, Yamamoto, Kassian, Neal, and Kahun have unperformed relative to expectation at the start of the season ... that's not just "well a couple of guys are down and Puljujarvi cancels that out".

I like what Jesse has brought but his 13 goals don't make up for like the combined 50-60 we should be getting from Kassian + Yamamoto + RNH (5 on 5).

But the broader point that just shows you McDavid and Draisaitl don't need everything to go perfect, not everything has gone perfect this year. Just give them one top pairing D guy (Klefbom or Nurse, doesn't even matter who) who is actually playing and not hurt and one good starter (Talbot 16-17 or Smith Jan 2020 onwards) and voila ... playoffs with a winning record.

It's actually kind of frightening if Chiarelli wasn't a total moron and hadn't bet the damn farm on an unproven KHL goalie and instead got an experienced NHL guy to help Talbot out during his down year ... Chiarelli might still be employed here, lol.

The bar is that low and he still found a way to f*** that up.

Reactions: RattsSSV

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
That Kulikov pass on the GWG was sick though. Not bad Ken, not bad.
Kulikov is such a mixed bag. He's mostly a physical shut down defender with mediocre break out passes, but a few times a game you'll see him make a really good offensive read or really good pass and it's as if he's having a flashback to his junior days.

Either way he's an upgrade on Russell.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad