Post-Game Talk: x - Edmonton Oilers

What is your favourite type of x?

• Total voters

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Thanks for the reminder! Circa 2006. Haven't been out of the furnace room till today. ;)

BuUMiuI.jpg

Bringing out mine tomorrow!

Reactions: Dorian2

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
i think those corsi stats are batshit crazy. The ice and meaningful scoring chances tilted when line 1 was on the ice and they scored 4goals and we'ren't on for any GA. Outright domination where it counts.

But oh shots based "advanced" stats...

sorry, just a pet peeve

I mean its just shot share metrics, it isn't meant to give you a full picture of how lines performed.

But it does show that all of the top-3 lines had the puck going in the right direction, which is definitely a good sign heading into the playoffs.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
Hasn't really been discussed but James Neal seems like such a great teammate, keeping things light and always making the players around him smile and laugh. I hope he sticks with the organization after retirement (maybe as an assistant coach in AHL)

Ya Connor talked about that in the presser. How Smith is playing well but how his off the ice his leadership is massive. Same with Neal. I think Smith's return was so huge for the team's turnaround and it had more to do with his leadership and how he keeps guys in check to play the right way in front of him. To get into good habits consistently.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Ya Connor talked about that in the presser. How Smith is playing well but how his off the ice his leadership is massive. Same with Neal. I think Smith's return was so huge for the team's turnaround and it had more to do with his leadership and how he keeps guys in check to play the right way in front of him. To get into good habits consistently.

Smith yells at the players, lol. They're afraid of him, so they cut out some of the dumb shit. This team doesn't do well if they're always coddled.

He makes big saves full stop too, don't freaking kid yourself and act like that doesn't swing games.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
Smith yells at the players, lol. They're afraid of him, so they cut out some of the dumb shit. This team doesn't do well if they're always coddled.

He makes big saves full stop too, don't freaking kid yourself and act like that doesn't swing games.

He's a strong leader that makes a big difference in the room if there's buy in. The way he's got guys to play in front of him (strong, urgent, responsible, predictable) allows him to play confident and assertive in net and he's played well. If there's low buy in/coordination from the 5 guys, any goalie will look bad, Smith included.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
He's a strong leader that makes a big difference in the room if there's buy in. The way he's got guys to play in front of him (strong, urgent, responsible, predictable) allows him to play confident and assertive in net and he's played well. If there's low buy in/coordination from the 5 guys, any goalie will look bad, Smith included.

Give McDavid and Draisaitl .915 or better goaltending and you have playoffs.

Why the Oilers made that so complicated is beyond me.

Like this season, the forward group beyond those two actually sucks donkey balls, they are considerably worse than last year. They've regressed there hard.

Smith has been good since January 2020, well before this season.

To be honest they don't really play that great defensively, they still make brain dead plays defensively routinely (like what the f*** was Khaira doing on that first goal), but Smith will make a big time stop when he needs to. The defence on the JT Miller goal was atrocious too, both Nurse and Barrie decided to play the same left side of the ice leaving no one but a rookie McLeod to cover the middle/right side.

Reactions: Snipes45

Gordy Elbows

Keep off my lawn
Oct 31, 2019
Great to get the CLINCH...well done Oilers!
Connor is a bull in a china shop around hockey records / numbers...keeps breaking them. And we love it!
Stay healthy boys - lots of work ahead.

Gordy Elbows

Keep off my lawn
Oct 31, 2019

I agree. The biggest part of succeeding in the NHL is transitioning from boys to men (with responsibilities and accountability). Smith is a large part of that process here.

Reactions: nally

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Clinch playoffs, beat the Canucks and 4 mcpoints.

What could be better? Other than, like, 5+ mcpoints I guess.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Nah, you don’t need no stinkin Pronger jersey.

I've gotten over it since, to be honest I'm not really even mad at him. I don't think he personally wanted to leave, whataya gonna do ditch your wife and kids? lol, no.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I've gotten over it since, to be honest I'm not really even mad at him. I don't think he wanted to leave, whataya gonna do ditch your wife and kids? lol, no.
Maybe if he wouldn’t have literally allegedly ditched his wife they would of stayed?? (Alleged Weather girl incident)

but yeah I agree. He really only had one option at that point.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Maybe if he wouldn’t have literally allegedly ditched his wife they would of stayed??

but yeah I agree. He really only had one option at that point.

I mean there's no way he could played at that level if his heart wasn't in it, so he clearly he was on board.

You can't ditch your wife, we just got really unlucky that he happened to have an extremely high maintenance wife that was actually richer than he was and wasn't just content to be a regular hockey wife.

But that 2006 run was the best he ever played, without a doubt in my mind.

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
i think those corsi stats are batshit crazy. The ice and meaningful scoring chances tilted when line 1 was on the ice and they scored 4goals and we'ren't on for any GA. Outright domination where it counts.

But oh shots based "advanced" stats...

sorry, just a pet peeve
Don't be sorry. It's just 5 on 5 Corsi, which is only a fraction of everything.

Remember, our first line was dipsy doodling. If they wanted to, they would have had MUCH more shots and that # would be much higher lol. It doesn't really show how much zone time they had.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad