Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border
Big.

Defenceman.

Good.
But is he big?

6'3 is NHL average for a D.

If his eliteprospects weight is accurate at 193, that's kinda light for someone that size in the NHL.

AHL has him listed at 194.

To put that in perspective, McDonugh the smallest D on Tampa is 6'1 and is at 215 lbs.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
giphy.gif

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
That's plausible, which is why I said "one of Cholowski/Lindstrom."
Lindstrom got more TOI than Stecher in the last 6 games (didn't go back any further than that) so I'm under the assumption that Stecher goes unprotected.

Stevie said he was going to sign 2 UFA LHD, I don't think this counts as one of them though. I really think it's GR/depth signing, unless Stevie is shooting for Wright.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Lindstrom got more TOI than Stecher in the last 6 games (didn't go back any further than that) so I'm under the assumption that Stecher goes unprotected.

Stevie said he was going to sign 2 UFA LHD, I don't think this counts as one of them though. I really think it's GR/depth signing, unless Stevie is shooting for Wright.
Very plausible. Also he could have been letting Lindstrom play the last bit, knowing he still has Stetcher under contract for next season and had already accepted an invite for Team Canada at the World Championship.

I think the last 6 games were pretty a much a last chance "show me why I should keep you here" kind of move.

better Red than Dead

Apr 23, 2021
His career may end up in Grand Rapids but this is not a GR only signing, they think he can eventually push for a job in Detroit

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Very plausible. Also he could have been letting Lindstrom play the last bit, knowing he still has Stetcher under contract for next season and had already accepted an invite for Team Canada at the World Championship.

I think the last 6 games were pretty a much a last chance "show me why I should keep you here" kind of move.
I dunno, it looked like it was more Blash's preference for low event hockey. Lindstrom is low event hockey, Stecher is not. Lindstrom also has room to grow whereas Stecher is what he is.

Stecher looks good at times, but there are a lot of games where he fumbles the puck or just looks lost out there. I don't see him being more than a 7D anywhere, even Detroit. Hockey IQ isn't there and that combined with his size means very little upside.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
I dunno, it looked like it was more Blash's preference for low event hockey. Lindstrom is low event hockey, Stecher is not. Lindstrom also has room to grow whereas Stecher is what he is.

Stecher looks good at times, but there are a lot of games where he fumbles the puck or just looks lost out there. I don't see him being more than a 7D anywhere, even Detroit. Hockey IQ isn't there and that combined with his size means very little upside.
Stetcher is simply a veteran depth defenseman who was an upgrade over (insert 4 previous redwing defenseman names here). He has his 5/6/7 spot on any team. Yzerman definitely wanted to get a larger sample size for Lindstrom before he has to who he wants to protect. It's just a GM wanting to see who he's got for next year, or as a showcase for other teams.

Reactions: Rzombo4 prez

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
I highly doubt it, is there much upside to him? Could be a 7th D
I don't know a single thing about him, but looking at the stat sheet, why AREN'T we viewing this move as a potential late bloomer with big upside?

He's got good stats in the NCAA, as well as the AHL on North American ice against professionals. And he's got good size to go with it. Why aren't we viewing him as a prize like a 23 year old Dekeyser? Or even a Kaski or Sulak, who I seem to recall people being pretty excited about?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad