Confirmed with Link: Wyatt Newpower

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
I always enjoy these types of signings. Low risk and he obviously produced pretty decently in AHL, already.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Bear alum Newpower caps D-1hockey career with honors, pro deal
Aspires to be a federal cop, but first wants to give hockey a shot
Newpower was the subject of a feature article in the Hartford Courant. It focused on the fact he played only 15 of 36 games his sophomore season, after which he had a heart-to-heart with coach Mike Cavanaugh.
Newpower told the Courant: “I walked in there and said, ‘Listen, I want to be coached by you guys, and I want your help.’ And he (Cavanaugh) said, ‘OK, you need to take this next step.’” Cavanaugh responded by telling Newpower he had not been very “coachable.”
Newpower accepted the challenge. He was on campus that summer and the next for a four-day-a-week regimen of weight training, footwork, speed work and yoga, along with playing in a summer league. “The next year, he was a different player,” Cavanaugh told the Courant.
Newpower became a top-line defenseman who could score, too, notching 36 goals in 68 games his last two seasons. A teammate, junior Adam Karahick, told the Courant that Newpower “has been our rock, for sure,” as a leader on the ice. Newpower was named Hockey East’s top defenseman this year and was included on the Hockey East All-Stars as a second-team pick.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
What are we going to do with Watt Oldpower?

Oh, there's a use for him.

ThePrestige_10YearsLater.jpg

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
We wanted Power, we got Newpower instead....

I'm guessing this is a GR signing and maybe Lashoff is gone? No contract details on Capfriendly yet.
Could be a sign we are losing one of Cholowski/Lindstrom and this is the replacement.

Reactions: r0bert8841

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Could be a sign we are losing one of Cholowski/Lindstrom and this is the replacement.
Doubtful, they're all basically the same age and Wyatt has no NHL experience, so it looks like a GR signing. I'm pretty sure this means either Lashoff and/or Hicketts doesn't get re-signed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad