GDT: WWE ROYAL RUMBLE (January 29, 2017) -- Our Christmas is Here

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamjs

Oct 1, 2008
Interesting article on how the idea of the Royal Rumble came about
http://www.cbssports.com/general/ne...ure-wwe-event-survived-despite-early-failure/

royal-rumble-st-louis-mo-sept-29-1987.jpg

Funny thing about the original Rumble is that nobody remembers who the 12 wrestlers were that worked the Rumble that night

There were 12 men in the Royal Rumble. It is likely that all 12 came from the group of 13 male wrestlers on the undercard, but it's unknown which of the 13 men sat out. It clearly wasn't Gang -- the winner -- or Junkyard Dog. It's worth noting that Haynes worked twice on the undercard alone, in both cases as a substitute (sitting in for Dynamite Kid in a tag team match and for Ricky Steamboat vs. Bundy). Whether he was the guy left out of the Royal Rumble is unknown, but if not, then he worked three matches on an eight-match show. Not bad for a guy that wasn't even advertised to be there.

One Man Gang has a valid claim to being the first-ever Royal Rumble winner, but he never talks about it because he just doesn't recall it.
"I wish I could give you details about it, but I really don't remember it," George Gray, who portrayed One Man Gang, told CBS Sports.
Despite not remembering it, Gray did sound amused and perhaps a little flattered at the idea of being the rightful first Royal Rumble winner.
Orndorff told CBS Sports he doesn't remember the show either -- not his undercard match with Rude, nor the Royal Rumble on the same show, nor whether he was for sure a competitor in that match.
"We're talking about hundreds of matches [since that 1987 show happened]," Orndorff explained.
Orndorff was happy to hear Rude's name, though.
"Rick Rude?" he asked with a touch of reverence. "Rude was a great man. We were very good friends. I loved that guy."
Add Demolition Ax (Bill Eadie) to the list of performers at that house show that can't recall specifics.
"You're the first person that ever brought that up," Ax said. "I wish I could help you, but it would all be speculation."

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I was wrong, actually. In the wrong thread, talking about NXT. And he's still not out there anyways

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
There's results I want to see...there's results I think will happen...I just want this to be done right.

Tonight could be thrilling and unpredictable. I don't want to know too much about what could happen tonight. I want to be surprised. I want to be entertained. Compared to last year...this Rumble and Mania season has the potential to be great. So many quality names in this year's event while injuries depleted the roster last year. I'm legitimately excited about watching this tonight. The next few months should be a lot of fun.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Just make me happy please. That last 5 or so Rumbles ended with a sour taste in my mouth, even if some of them were good matches.

Please, PLEASE, just give me someone I like to win this thing.

Blainer114*

Maverick
Jun 8, 2016
Toronto
it'd be cool to have someone like jericho or samoa joe win. orton's already won and I don't think his match with wyatt at mania needs to be for the title

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Pretty nuts that it's not even February and we've had three legitimate match of the year candidates between Omega/Okada, Tanahashi/Naito, and Roode/Nakamura. We may very well have another one with Cena/Styles and even the Royal Rumble match itself.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Pretty nuts that it's not even February and we've had three legitimate match of the year candidates between Omega/Okada, Tanahashi/Naito, and Roode/Nakamura. We may very well have another one with Cena/Styles and even the Royal Rumble match itself.

I wouldn't hold your breath on that one.

The Lunatic Fridge

why is my name here?
Aug 20, 2008
New York

Calm down, satan.

Roode/Nak was good but its not anywhere near MOTY. Styles/Cena already have that locked down from WWE's side from summerslam.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Roode/Nakamura was simply really good, it's not a match of the year.

The potential is there for this to be the first time the main roster show is better than the previous night's NXT show

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Not that I think it should happen, but I have a feeling Taker will win the Rumble tonight. John Cena vs Undertaker for the title at Mania would be my guess.

Who do I want to see win?

Shinsuke Nakamura, Samoa Joe, Bray Wyatt or Sami Zayn.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Not that I think it should happen, but I have a feeling Taker will win the Rumble tonight. John Cena vs Undertaker for the title at Mania would be my guess.

Who do I want to see win?

Shinsuke Nakamura, Samoa Joe, Bray Wyatt or Sami Zayn.

1) KO retain, Jericho win. Sets up the best friends at WM. And yes.. I know it won't happen.

2) Utter shock Sami Zayn to take on KO at WM.

3) Taker vs. Cena for the title would be pretty cool. I'd dig it.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
I wish the Undertaker would just go away already. If that happens Cena will have to carry the whole angle. Taker frankly sucks on the mic and he is hobbling around as it is so if he even shows up for the build up they won't get physical.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad