GDT: WWE Hell in a Cell (16th September 2018)

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
Thought the show was going great until the AJ/Joe Trainwreck ending.

The last three matches were just plain bad, the last two atrocious.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
I actually didn't mind the Joe/AJ finish. Controversial finishes aren't bad as long as they're well executed, and that one was.

I think Joe needs to win the belt, though. If he doesn't take it off AJ, who you really gonna have do it?

Conrad McBenis

Bow Down
Jan 10, 2018
Ronda match... terrible. Honestly wtf.

I enjoyed the rest of the show and was doing laundry during miz vs Bryan.

Brock was a legit surprise. Not sure why the match ended without a bell?

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
I'm actually surprised Brock is doing any wrestling ahead of the DC fight.

One wrong move and he misses out on a big payday. Then again, I can't really remember a time he had any type of tear or break that sidelined him. Dude is a freak.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I'm actually surprised Brock is doing any wrestling ahead of the DC fight.

One wrong move and he misses out on a big payday. Then again, I can't really remember a time he had any type of tear or break that sidelined him. Dude is a freak.
He wrestles the same match all the time. It's not surprising. The most we'll get is a triple threat at the Australia show or Survivor Series and he'll be on his way.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
He wrestles the same match all the time. It's not surprising. The most we'll get is a triple threat at the Australia show or Survivor Series and he'll be on his way.

Hurling Reigns or Strowman multiple times is a good way to f*** something up.

... Then again, this mother f***er throws and catches a heavy bag as cardio.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
It is crazy to me they pulled that no contest, while pushing Foley’s insane cage match.

They just ruined Strowman completely.

Tag match was great, and I liked AJ/Joe but that feud really needs a payoff. One where Joe wins the belt.

I don’t even know why Bork is here.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Lesnar is booked for Saudi Arabia, which has to be a network show at this point.

Bryan Alvarez was furious when he was told Becky was still supposed to be a heel

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I actually didn't mind the Joe/AJ finish. Controversial finishes aren't bad as long as they're well executed, and that one was.

I think Joe needs to win the belt, though. If he doesn't take it off AJ, who you really gonna have do it?
I read someone online suggest that Miz wins the belt, refuses to give Bryan a title shot because Miz has already beaten him twice now, DB wins the Rumble and beats Miz at Mania.

Which sounds cool, but I think if given the choice many would just prefer to see AJ keep the belt and have Bryan vs. Styles at Wrestlemania.

Reactions: Fro

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
'Member when Reigns and Strowman barely had a match before four other guys came out and were way more exciting, then a couple F5s ended a Hell in the Cell match with a no contest?

Good times, good times.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
'Member when Reigns and Strowman barely had a match before four other guys came out and were way more exciting, then a couple F5s ended a Hell in the Cell match with a no contest?

Good times, good times.

Don't forget that Ziggler and Seth pulled off the exact same cell fall spot as Seth and Dean years ago. It's like it's the only approved cell fall spot these days.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
no, I'd say it was definitely when the split happened and he was keeping everything from The Shield after the split. His reactions were really strong. They completely botched his entire run.

They were turning on him when he was illogically handed title matches by the guy who killed The Shield (Triple H). Then he got that appendectomy I believe and people were thinking "maybe they'll slow the push down" but they just kicked it into high drive when he came back and really soured people on him. The only time things looked like they were going to turn around reception wise was when he was playing sidekick to Ambrose in Ambrose's run as #1 contender to Rollins' title, but then they quickly shifted Reigns back into the title picture after that and there was no saving him.

For me, it was when Reigns came back and WWE gave him the "Superstar of the Year" Slammy even though I don't think he'd actually returned from his hernia injury at that point. His major work as a singles wrestler that year was being runner-up at the Royal Rumble, being inserted in the MITB match for Bryan's vacated World Title (lost), being inserted into another World Title match at Battleground (lost), beating Orton in a non-title singles match at SummerSlam, then beating Rollins clean on Raw right before he took time off for his hernia. WWE tried to play it off like it was a fan vote, and I think Meltzer was even speculating that it might be not be completely BS, but Reigns did nothing of note in 2014 as an individual, yet somehow was crowned Superstar of the Year when it was obvious he was being groomed for the Rumble win and main event title match at WrestleMania. It happened, most fans saw through it and I remember most people getting mad mainly because the guy was being hot-shotted to the main event without actually doing much. Him keeping the Shield gear, music and entrance just added fuel to the fire because it was clear they were trying to get fans to like him by keeping him associated with the Shield while distancing Rollins and Ambrose.

I just saw a recent interview with Jericho too where he defended Reigns by saying fans boo him because they think it's cool to do it. It seems to be a popular take with the current wrestlers and I'm not sure if they actually believe it or if they just say it to tow the line with management. I'm sure some fans do boo Reigns and don't really know why, but this take is just plain ignorant to a lot of fans who were actually paying attention in 2014/15.

Reactions: M.C.G. 31

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
I read someone online suggest that Miz wins the belt, refuses to give Bryan a title shot because Miz has already beaten him twice now, DB wins the Rumble and beats Miz at Mania.

Which sounds cool, but I think if given the choice many would just prefer to see AJ keep the belt and have Bryan vs. Styles at Wrestlemania.

I suggested Miz wins MITB, Bryan wins the belt, Miz cashes in and then ducks out on him until Bryan wins the Rumble and then wins it at Mania.

But they screwed the pooch on that one.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Yeah I don't know who's idea that was (last night's main event) but it just defied logic.

-Foley in the old-school ref shirt (called it :laugh:)
-Braun basically incapacitates Roman but instead of going for the pin, tries to inflict more damage.
-Roman was just mashing the "Superman Punch" button for most of the match, before selling a spear (that he gave) for the entirety of Dean and Seth's run-in
-Speaking of which, awful nice of those four to climb on top of the cage for ABSOLUTELY NO REASON WHATSOEVER. :laugh:
-Dean and Drew are probably still up there
-Seth and Dolph performed the most telegraphed spot of the night, in super-slow motion. Man, I did NOT see that coming! Both of them through separate tables! So hardcore! Wait, what do you mean they're not in the match?
-Brock and his lackey marching down to the ring after weeks of being AWOL, as if they have a claim to be there. No refs/security/management in sight, but whatevs. Paul had his pepper spray at the ready, which was new. Doubt he needed it with Brock there.
-The fact that Roman and Braun both sold a spear through a table for as long as they did....I just don't get it. Originally I was wondering why Mick wasn't counting since both of them were down, then I remembered, HIAC, no DQ's, etc. And then they ended the match anyways. :facepalm:
-What's the end game? Triple threat match tonight? Did Braun lose his cash-in opportunity or does he still have it?

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Oh, I called that out before they even fell. Exactly the same, only with worse execution.

I barely liked it when Dean and Seth did it. It takes A LOT of suspension of disbelief to think it would actually happen like that.

I was low key hoping Ziggler would do some sort of makeshift Zig Zag when they were both standing there. Maybe too dangerous & hard to execute though.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I barely liked it when Dean and Seth did it. It takes A LOT of suspension of disbelief to think it would actually happen like that.

I was low key hoping Ziggler would do some sort of makeshift Zig Zag when they were both standing there. Maybe too dangerous & hard to execute though.

Yeah, I was hoping for something different.

Like one of them just grab the other and jump down through the table sort of thing. Like, I'm willing to hurt myself to hurt you. Would of been better than the "oh he's gonna fall, no wait, he's gonna fall, oops he lost his footing, will he fall, oh look they both fell" thing they like to do.

I also find it hilarious that Braun can hit Reigns in the head with the steel steps like 4 or 5 times, and then with his full force slam the steps into the gut of Reigns AND THEN hit Reigns with the running powerslam, and Reigns kicks out at 2, but then Reigns can quickly hit two or three superman punches and a spear, and be out for the next 5 minutes :laugh:

Like, that spot was dumb. Have Braun argue with Foley after the kick out, as Reigns slowly gets to his feet. Braun turns around and starts to walk over to Reigns, and Reigns hits a spear out of no where, and then both are down, including Roman. You get both guys down, and you don't make Reigns look like he was unaffected by the beating he just took, but rather just got just enough to spear Braun, and then he's down again.

But no, he's gotta jump around and hit the Superman Punches, and the Spear, and then die randomly.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
What an overbooked mess that main event was. Could've done without the crap on top of the cage and just had the Brock run-in. Did Braun and Roman sleep through that entire thing?

Didn't watch too much of the show. I liked A.J.-Joe even though I'm tired of the old trope of ref shenanigans in an A.J. match. I did like the way had A.J. tap away from the vision of the ref though.

It's annoying that we already knew these title matches would happen again in Australia. Joe and A.J. are obviously money together.

This is one of the biggest reasons I'm an NJPW mark. They have the show in Long Beach and instead of booking matches too far in advance...you still have some mystery as how that card will take shape. Why the hell do you announce matches in Australia before you've done Hell in a Cell? You can get away with booking the HHH-Taker match but leave the belts out of it until the other show happens.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I don’t get why they both have to fall lol. Like damn just one person can fall. It’s such a bad spot that you can see coming a mile away. I hate it.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Just...retire that spot. You both hit each other at the same time and both perfectly launch yourself backwards in unison? It's so dumb I hate it.

Try something new. Have just one guy fall. Have Ziggler on the table and Seth frog splashes him from there....anything.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
So kayfabe, they relieved angle of his duties bc of the inmates running the asylum...but since Corbin is a heel, that will be ok, right?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad