Post-Game Talk: WTF just happened? Oil win 4-3

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I've read all the replies. But - since I didn't watch this sh!t-show of a game, I didn't see WHT happened. Can someone please explain what happened here? Please:)
Strome scored an empty netter. Kings scored on a nice tip in. Off the face off Kings had a great chanc in a wild scrum. Game ended. They reviewed the scrum that happened with 9 sec left. Never showed a single piece of evidence that the puck crossed the line, but called it a goal. Ref announced that the war room initiated a review for goalie interference (was actually the Oilers that used their timeout to ask for a review for GI) Ref determined that Brown pushed Talbots pad into the net = interference as the puck apparently, according to secret war room cross bar caremas show, crossed the line. Goal disallowed. 9 seconds put on clock to equal time of disallowed goal. Faceoff outside the zone Kings get puck and get a good scoring chance. Talbot makes save. Game over.

snag

Feb 22, 2014
If they called that a good goal....they would have needed to install this machine in the Oilers locker room and this would be Talbot:
b6SyD7E.jpg

SomeDudeOTI

Feb 25, 2014
Behind enemy lines
Which one of us is the idiot? The clock ran out. The game was over. Even though the Kings won the first challenge, there was a second challenge by the Oilers for the same play which resulted in no goal being scored. The net result on the play was no goal was scored. Show me the rule that shows time should be added back on to the clock for this situation. If the goal had counted on that play then yes, the rule states you go back in time and put that time back on the clock. No good goal was scored though. Looks to me like the league is making things up as they go along.

The puck crossed the goal line, the clock should have been stopped. Play continued and at the next stoppage (when time ran out) the play was reviewed to see whether the puck crossed the line or not. Since the puck crossed the line the clock was reset to that time.

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Which one of us is the idiot? The clock ran out. The game was over. Even though the Kings won the first challenge, there was a second challenge by the Oilers for the same play which resulted in no goal being scored. The net result on the play was no goal was scored. Show me the rule that shows time should be added back on to the clock for this situation. If the goal had counted on that play then yes, the rule states you go back in time and put that time back on the clock. No good goal was scored though. Looks to me like the league is making things up as they go along.

No a Goal WAS scored as confirmed by Toronto War Room. THe goal was then overturned due to Goaltender interference

snag

Feb 22, 2014
The puck crossed the goal line, the clock should have been stopped. Play continued and at the next stoppage (when time ran out) the play was reviewed to see whether the puck crossed the line or not. Since the puck crossed the line the clock was reset to that time.

And because obviously the Kings can't figure it out, the FO was at center ice because the puck crossed the goal line :P

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Okay let me explain this again simply so you understand.

Puck crossed the line a 9.6 seconds remaining, refs missed it so the time ran out. When the puck crosses the line, even if there was goaltender interference, a missed off side or anything play is to be called dead.

When it was officially ruled as it crossed the line, the time goes back to that point. Crossing the line is the only thing that matters for the play being called. Once that was established the game state gets reset to the point when the puck crossed the line.

The goal was then examined for goaltender interference. You cannot examine a goal that doesn't for goaltender interference cause it would make no sense.

TLDR: Puck crosses line, play is called down. When goal is missed and gets reviewed time goes back to when puck crosses the line. The GI review is different process.

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017

Rule 38.7

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
This post might explain why Replacement...err Drivesaitl isn't posting right now...how many accounts do you have??
Did you miss the part on the broadcast where they said the war room has a cross bar camera that they cant see?

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
It wasn't the play by play guys. It was what I heard from the official. The official said there's a challenge from the war room for goaltender interference. After it was said the puck crossed the line.

I just rewatched it as well. The refs made no verbal indication on the PA the play was under review. Neither ref was looking at a tablet so the war room reviewed it and said yes, it crossed the line. When the ref came out and said it was a good goal, he then said "We have an automatic challenge from the war room"

Then when he came back to reveal the decision, he says "Following the coach's challenge initiated by the situation room, there was goalie interference; we have no goal"

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
1. Is it 4K?
2. Is it wifi?
3. Does it use Bluetooth?
4. Is there an on or off button?

1) Would guess 720p @ 60hz
2) Not wure what spec is used for real time transmission of video. WOuld assume the same as the in the net camera
3) No
4) WOuld guess they turn it off after the game

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
I just rewatched it as well. The refs made no verbal indication on the PA the play was under review. Neither ref was looking at a tablet so the war room reviewed it and said yes, it crossed the line. When the ref came out and said it was a good goal, he then said "We have an automatic challenge from the war room"

Then when he came back to reveal the decision, he says "Following the coach's challenge initiated by the situation room, there was goalie interference; we have no goal"

Rule 38.5

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
1. Is it 4K?
2. Is it wifi?
3. Does it use Bluetooth?
4. Is there an on or off button?

5. Do they release the footage to the public/media to show that they actually got the call right.

6. You've shown that they were planning on being used in the playoffs two years ago. Anything to show that they are still currently in use?

Reactions: ToddsBod

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

Clear as mud.

Reactions: McFuhryous

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
From Rule 38.5

The League will make available in all arenas, technology (either a handheld tablet or a television or computer monitor) that will allow OnIce Officials, in conjunction with the NHL Situation Room, to view replays if, and only to the extent, a formal Coach’s Challenge has been initiated (or, in the final minute of play or in Overtime, a review by Hockey Operations is initiated). To the extent practical, the replays made available to the Officials on the ice will be the same replays that are being utilized by the NHL Situation Room.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
No a Goal WAS scored as confirmed by Toronto War Room. THe goal was then overturned due to Goaltender interference
A goal WASN'T scored though. The Oilers challenge showed the only reason the puck crossed the goal line was because Talbot’s pad was pushed into the net. If a goal had actually been scored then the game would have been tied. Again, on the original play time ran out. The only way time should have gone back on the clock is if a legitimate goal was scored. The fact that the puck crossed the line is irrelevant if the goal doesn’t count.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
There is no exact rule for this situation. But with a bit of common sense and brain power we can figure it out.
2 seperate things happened .

1)
NHL Rule 38.7

In the event that a video replay shows a goal was scored prior to
the play being stopped, the Video Goal Judge will inform the Game Timekeeper and Official Scorer of the time of goal and the amount of playing time left to be reset on the game clock and penalty time clocks.

So by that rule when the NHL declares that the puck indeed crossed the line, the time is then reset to 9.8 seconds.

2) Goal is then auto reviewed for goaltender interference. For it to be reviewed for goaltender interference there has to be a goal called a good goal. When did that happen 9.8 seconds.

So when it was declared that the goal was to be waived off due to goaltender interference the game goes back to the state it was when the waived off goal was scored.

This isn't complicated or some conspiracy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad