Confirmed Trade: [WSH/LAK] Carl Hagelin (50% retained) for a 2019 3rd round pick and a conditional 2020 6th round pck

Jbwest31

Feb 9, 2017
I mean, did Orpik not suck for you guys? I don't think anyone attacked Niskanen, he was a fantastic player and many were bummed that he left. But seeing how Orpik got bought out and most Capitals fans hated him, I really don't see why you're bringing him up to say "Penguins fans were wrong".

But don't worry, Hagelin is going to CF% the Capitals to a win, though!

If Hagelin was great, why was he traded for a guy with like 1 point in 17 games that looked genuinely bad this year? I thought Hagelin sucked offensively by the time he was done with the Penguins, and nothing in his LA statline makes me think he changes at all after leaving Pittsburgh.

This guy will be so excited in 4-6 years if either of these picks make to the NHL to rub it in our faces.

Reactions: pezpunk

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
He’s great at being a bottom 6er. Great forechecker, play driver, can work the cycle game, plays hard, brings a ton of speed. Super consistent in all that. Forget boxcars.

There’s a reason Malkin preferred him for his LW despite the anemic numbers. Caps, like the Pens, have more than enough talent to make up for Hagelin not scoring.

It's really strange that the Penguins decided to trade him this year, if this is the case. It's just fascinating that you think this is the case with JR publicly calling out the Penguins for not being able to score, going after UFAs for not playing the right way and then ultimately trading Hagelin for a shell of Tanner Pearson.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
I thin GMBM is smart enough to NOT be acquiring Hagelin for Goals. The Caps (all season long) have needed a F that can help us STOP ALLOWING goals.

Yeah, that's kind of the point I was making. He's coming in for a specialized, responsible kind of role. Not to generate offense.

Hilarious how much Pens fans are trying to tear this guy down now that he's a Cap. They don't need him for scoring. Their defense and PK have been atrocious and Hagelin is a great defensive forward. That's all the Caps need him to be. If he chips in on the offensive end while bringing great energy and defense, that's just a bonus.

If you rely on trade board for reactions, then hot takes are all you'll get. If you want an unvarnished opinion, read the team board. There you'll see alot of fans that recognize his limitations as a player, but are still sad to see him go there and add his specific skillset to the Caps. And for the record there's a couple of posters in a pissing match that is takingover the thread. I can see half a dozen positive opinions rendered by Pens fans in the last three pages of this thread.

Reactions: Portable Mink

ijuka

May 14, 2016
What, a 3rd round pick for a struggling 4th liner? And people don't think this is much to give up?

If this is the market, sell everything.

Fatty McLardy

Oct 6, 2017
If Hagelin was great, why was he traded for a guy with like 1 point in 17 games that looked genuinely bad this year?

you're trying to ask this question when you know the same guy that traded him also thought it was a good idea to sign Jack Jackson to 5 years? Fact of the matter is, JR has been slowly straying from the identity that made us so successful during the cup runs.

Hagelin was one of the scapegoats for Penguins early season troubles, so they traded him instead of first upgrading on trash like Sheahan and Brassard. I'd much rather have Hagelin over Pearson on this Pens team at the moment, that's for sure.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
It's really strange that the Penguins decided to trade him this year, if this is the case. It's just fascinating that you think this is the case with JR publicly calling out the Penguins for not being able to score, going after UFAs for not playing the right way and then ultimately trading Hagelin for a shell of Tanner Pearson.

Bud it’s called a shake up move to the room and it worked. I wish we had Hags over Pearson now but at the same time that trade may have been the shot of cold water that woke this team up.

Just because the Caps got him doesn’t mean we need to trash him. He’s very good at what he does.

Reactions: Kuzya daddy

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
No... Orpik was great for us, he wasn't so great at the begining of last season but that was solved when we brought in Kempny. Orpik was exactly what we needed in terms of play style and he's also a huge leader on this team and is thought of hugely in the room, that's why he was brought back.

I think his style just didn't match with the Pens fast paced game which caused all the negativity... while it matched perfectly with Trotz's heavier game.

I could see that, Bylsma's system was based on the stretch pass and Orpik was never a good puck mover. I mostly disliked Orpik because he seemed like a real jack*** (he was one of the ringleaders that tried to strip Crosby of the captaincy in 2011, which was my biggest issue), although I wasn't very fond of his play by the end of his time with the Penguins.

Niskanen wasn't hate but I recall a lot of people calling him a 1 season wonder.

He was at the time, but anyone who watched him in 2013-2014 realized he was legit. It's not like he lucked his way into that year, he was legitimately fantastic that season. I think people may have taken shots at the Capitals for paying full price on a guy with 1 season at that level, but I think most Penguins fans were really sad to see him go.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
I could see that, Bylsma's system was based on the stretch pass and Orpik was never a good puck mover. I mostly disliked Orpik because he seemed like a real jack*** (he was one of the ringleaders that tried to strip Crosby of the captaincy in 2011, which was my biggest issue), although I wasn't very fond of his play by the end of his time with the Penguins.

He was at the time, but anyone who watched him in 2013-2014 realized he was legit. It's not like he lucked his way into that year, he was legitimately fantastic that season. I think people may have taken shots at the Capitals for paying full price on a guy with 1 season at that level, but I think most Penguins fans were really sad to see him go.

Well I'm just glad both guys worked out here along with Reirden... and I hope Hagelin does to... Always happy to pick up guys from a premier organization like the Pens.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
you're trying to ask this question when you know the same guy that traded him also thought it was a good idea to sign Jack Jackson to 5 years? Fact of the matter is, JR has been slowly straying from the identity that made us so successful during the cup runs.

Hagelin was one of the scapegoats for Penguins early season troubles, so they traded him instead of first upgrading on trash like Sheahan and Brassard. I'd much rather have Hagelin over Pearson on this Pens team at the moment, that's for sure.

And it's also the same guy who traded Daniel Sprong for Marcus Pettersson, which has been an absolute steal for the Penguins. If you really want to go that route, I have a lot more ammo for JR doing well than you have ammo for JR doing poorly.

Bud it’s called a shake up move to the room and it worked. I wish we had Hags over Pearson now but at the same time that trade may have been the shot of cold water that woke this team up.

Just because the Caps got him doesn’t mean we need to trash him. He’s very good at what he does.

Either JR is an idiot or he severely miscalculated what he was getting back with Pearson, if what you're saying about Hagelin is how JR felt about Hagelin. This isn't about the Capitals getting him, this is about me think Hagelin is a washed up player that won't be in the NHL in a year and a half.

Like I said, Hagelin is obviously very good at the things everyone knows he's very good at. The problem is that people aren't mentioning his negatives nearly enough. It's a legit question to whether a line with him on it can out-score how many goals it gives up, just because of how much Hagelin has eroded offensively. That's even with Hagelin still being fantastic defensively.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
He's great at what he does. One of the fastest skaters in the league and uses his speed well in all zones. He just always had trouble finishing and in the past year or so it's gotten worse.

Ok, so he is great at some things but overall...he's not "great".

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
And it's also the same guy who traded Daniel Sprong for Marcus Pettersson, which has been an absolute steal for the Penguins. If you really want to go that route, I have a lot more ammo for JREither JR is an idiot or he severely miscalculated what he was getting back with Pearson, if what you're saying about Hagelin is how JR felt about Hagelin. This isn't about the Capitals getting him, this is about me think Hagelin is a washed up player that won't be in the NHL in a year and a half.

Like I said, Hagelin is obviously very good at the things everyone knows he's very good at. The problem is that people aren't mentioning his negatives nearly enough. It's a legit question to whether a line with him on it can out-score how many goals it gives up, just because of how much Hagelin has eroded offensively. That's even with Hagelin still being fantastic defensively.

Do you even do your HW before making these statements? Dude has had a + GF% every year, until he went to LA, who’s been putrid.

These teams can read stats too. No one has any ideas that Hags is going to be a scorer. Fact is they gave up a third for him because he’s very good at everything else.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

nothingbeatshockey

May 3, 2013
Good Lord - it's a 3/4 liner trade and everybody's all worked up over it.
If he helps the Caps on the PK, shores up the 3/4th line defense and the Caps make a deep run, it's worth it. If not, it won't be.
Says a lot about how desperate the HF forum is for a real trade of consequence when this generates this much attention.
As a Caps fan, I'm good with GMBM making the deal, because I think it shores up some weaknesses and it costs us a 3rd rounder.
Sure as hell beats some of our other trade deadline deals .... uhm, uhm [cough, cough] Erat-Forsberg come to mind?

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
Too much Pens fans in this thread.

It's a meh deal. Caps don't look for points. If he's D play is good and if he can improve our PK, would be already a good deal.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Do you even do your HW before making these statements? Dude has had a + GF% every year, until he went to LA, who’s been putrid.

These teams can read stats too. No one has any ideas that Hags is going to be a scorer. Fact is they gave up a third for him because he’s very good at everything else.

And this year, his offense fell off a cliff and he's at even in terms of GF%, and that's with including a portion of his time on the Penguins with playing with a super hot Malkin and Kessel (who started out the year amazing this year). No team is going to acquire Hagelin to be a scorer, but his offense is so bad that it's a legitimate question for whether he can out-score how many goals his line gives up. Seeing how he's at even in terms of GF% and is only on pace for 17 points, that is a completely legit question.

Hagelin is basically late era Tyler Kennedy in my eyes. Can he be a useful with adding speed, good possession stats and PKing ability? Yeah, but his offense is a legitimate problem, so you may be losing your matchups at ES with Hagelin on your 4th line.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Reirden said that the Caps play different than the Kings and that their style fits Hagelin better than the way the Kings play. That is a legit point. No reason to make that up. Playing Chicago Blackhawk hockey Kempny sucked. Playing Capitals hockey his skill set fits better.

If all getting Hagelin does is get DSP to get his act together by playoffs, it will be worth it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad