Confirmed Trade: [WSH/LAK] Carl Hagelin (50% retained) for a 2019 3rd round pick and a conditional 2020 6th round pck

Zal

Jan 12, 2009
Good deal for the Caps. I’m just happy Blake is collecting picks to bundle so he can potentially trade up in the draft. Not bad for both clubs.

Reactions: BallardEra

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Kings are the savvy players in this deal. Move a horrible contract (Pearson) and get a third round pick instead of having to throw something in as a sweetener to take that horrible contract. Had to eat a little money but nothing worth sweating over.

NYR713

Jun 26, 2012
I don't see the price bad for either. Struggling on the score sheet with a crap team, but Hags is such a huge piece to a competing team. He's that prototypical role player that does a little of everything for you outside the score sheets and still has that ability to get on the sheets. He had some really clutch moments in his years with NYR and I feel like Pitt fans would have some great memories. For a team like Washington, defending champions with their main core pieces already in place with a need for proper depth, this is a great trade. They just need Hagelin to do the things he does best as a role player.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
If Blake held the trade up 24 hours for a conditional 6th round pick then he is my spirit animal

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Pretty meh. Good price for WSH

not saying Hagelin is useless, but he isnt very useful anymore outside of some hustle and forecheck. Make sense he only got a mid and late round pick even at 50% retained

Penguinsyay

Jul 20, 2007
Good trade for the caps, with the retention. Hagelin has speed and smarts, even if he has no hands.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
If Blake held the trade up 24 hours for a conditional 6th round pick then he is my spirit animal

Seems pretty obvious it was done so the Caps can assign DSP to the minors in order to free up more cap space. The Kings retaining 50% of the remainder on Hagelin's contract just gives the Caps a bit more flexibility to possibly make another deadline addition.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Good deal for the Caps. I’m just happy Blake is collecting picks to bundle so he can potentially trade up in the draft. Not bad for both clubs.
They are going to have a top 3 or so pick. This third round pick will not help in any way to move up to the first or second pick.

Zal

Jan 12, 2009
They are going to have a top 3 or so pick. This third round pick will not help in any way to move up to the first or second pick.

It will if we package it with other picks to get to a 2nd. It’s been done before.

Lomez

Too Awesome for Top 100
Mar 29, 2009
PGH, PA
I'm surprised how many people think this was a bad move for the Caps.

Hagelin is as good as or better than DSP in just about every way. Sure, they both stink offensively. But when looking at speed, penalty killing and defense - it's not even close.

Caps got better over the last 24 hours and all it cost them was essentially a late 3rd

I don't think anyone is suggesting it is a bad move. Hagelin, for free, is good pick up. He can skate really fast and help on the PK. Just don't let him anywhere near a puck.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Nice trade for LA. Pending UFA that brings almost nothing to the table brings a return of a 3rd +

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Question for the Pens fans chiming in here. Would you guys prefer to have Hagelin back over Pearson? I see that of late Pearson has either been a healthy scratch or relegated to the fourth line.

In a heartbeat.

Not all agree though.

I liked Hags expiring contract, speed, and chemistry here. We're going to have to turn around and move Pearson because he simply doesn't fit - and becomes an overpaid bottom-6 guy. He's not a bad player, but he's not what we need, especially at 3.75M.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
People put way too much stock into late round picks. Most late round guys are career AHL players.
No kidding, chief.

This is a mid round pick though. Nothing to get excited about but lets not suddenly act that only 1st and 2nd rounders make it to the NHL.

Last edited:

third man in

Jul 27, 2007
Maryland
No kidding, chief.

This is a mid round pick though. Nothing to get excited about but lets not suddenly act that only 1st and 2nd rounders make it to the NHL.
3rd rounders have about a 30% chance of playing in the NHL. And a much much lower % of being an impact player.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
3rd rounders have about a 30% chance of playing in the NHL. And a much much lower % of being an impact player.
Remarkable how some of you downplay a pick.

Again. Nothing shocking but you always read this stuff from fans who just traded them.

Besides, 30% is more than I ever could have imagined. I thought it was lower.

third man in

Jul 27, 2007
Maryland
Remarkable how some of you downplay a pick.

Again. Nothing shocking but you always read this stuff from fans who just traded them.

Besides, 30% is more than I ever could have imagined. I thought it was lower.
That's not a regular just making it as a callup. Getting a 3rd or lower to me is like getting another lottery ticket. If you have a chance at a cup its not as important. If you're rebuilding it feels super important. Eye of the beholder.

As a Caps fan I could care less about a 3rd. Just happy that we still have our first. As a Kings fan its a golden ticket. I get it champ.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
That's not a regular just making it as a callup. Getting a 3rd or lower to me is like getting another lottery ticket. If you have a chance at a cup its not as important. If you're rebuilding it feels super important. Eye of the beholder.

As a Caps fan I could care less about a 3rd. Just happy that we still have our first. As a Kings fan its a golden ticket. I get it champ.
i do not think you get it at all.

Kings have given them away as candy the last years. You dont have to tell me how to value them, just because LA is a lottery team now. You do remember they were once a contender ?

There is no emotional attachment with a pick because it has no name and you will never know who you had drafted anyway. Of course you are not throwing away the farm but the “who cares” comments are just silly, especially for a player like Hagelin.

That is the point, champ.

Ronk

Sep 30, 2009
SoCal
Kings are the savvy players in this deal. Move a horrible contract (Pearson) and get a third round pick instead of having to throw something in as a sweetener to take that horrible contract. Had to eat a little money but nothing worth sweating over.

This is how I see it as well. I don't think the Caps fared poorly here at all. Hagelin has his uses defensively and is specifically useful come playoff time when games start to grind more. Having no carryover for multiple years as they would have with Pearson is key. If you are going to move Pearson at his lowest point and are decidedly done for the year, you might as well have a clean slate. Having faith LA will use that 3.75 to improve the team is another question entirely.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->