Confirmed Trade: [WSH/LAK] Carl Hagelin (50% retained) for a 2019 3rd round pick and a conditional 2020 6th round pck

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
He won 2 cups with the pens. Doesn't feel great to see him on the caps even if his hands are starting to go.

stepdad gaary

Dec 5, 2011
No, you're putting words in my mouth. My point was no one trades for Carl Hagelin going "whoa, scoring boost." You're being deliberately obtuse but I can't blame you because neither facts nor the eye test are in your favor.

how are stats not in my favor of saying hagelin has fallen off. again, youre saying he's still good at defense, sure. That doesnt mean he hasnt fallen off. which is what im saying.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
First off, I'm still trying to accept the fact that Hagelin will be wearing a Caps uniform.

That aside, this could be a good move for the Caps. I say "could" because Hags has to be skating to be effective. Even when he's not scoring, he uses his speed to create opportunities and keep plays alive. The problem was that he stopped doing that near the end in Pittsburgh. Other than killing penalties, he was invisible. However, I can see him thriving with Caps, especially if he PKs next to Eller or Backstrom.

Also, expect him to fan on a TON of chances.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Wrong...he traded Pearson in the hopes of shaking the team up, Pittsburgh in order take on Pearson's salary had to get rid of Hagelin, which gave Blake two added benefits, UFA and the ability flip him, ultimately, he traded Tanner Pearson for a 3rd and a 6th, which is absolutely, fine.

I'm not sure what you think the purpose of "shaking the team up" is if it's not to try to turn the season around, which is what I said. I wish that you would've tried a little harder to understand my argument, especially if you were going to be rude by calling me wrong.

Osprey is right, which I am not a big fan of saying.

Thanks, I guess ;).

and 99 others

la la la la la la la... a little bit alexis
Jul 27, 2011
I know he won 2 cups with the Pens but it’s so weird to see Pens fans ‘claiming’ Hags as their own.

In addition to being drafted by NYR he spent almost twice as long in their organization during his formative years, scoring big goals against the Penguins en route to the Rangers finals run.

Is it really that weird for Pens fans to see him on the caps?

Reactions: Captain And Coke

Fatty McLardy

Oct 6, 2017
I know he won 2 cups with the Pens but it’s so weird to see Pens fans ‘claiming’ Hags as their own.

In addition to being drafted by NYR he spent almost twice as long in their organization during his formative years, scoring big goals against the Penguins en route to the Rangers finals run.

Hagelin will be in the Penguins lore for a long time just because of his contribution to the pens cup runs and that HBK line, i know the rangers had him longer, but its a special bond with the team when they win the cup, let alone 2 in row. Even Hagelin said that even though he was here for only 2 years it felt like lot longer, because of that bond.

kladorf2005

Apr 20, 2018
I'm surprised how many people think this was a bad move for the Caps.

Hagelin is as good as or better than DSP in just about every way. Sure, they both stink offensively. But when looking at speed, penalty killing and defense - it's not even close.

Caps got better over the last 24 hours and all it cost them was essentially a late 3rd

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Will be interesting if we can leverage Hagelin/Burakovsky/Stephenson/Vrana for max speed up and down the lineup. If only we could pry Miles Wood out of NJ somehow.

Seventyx7

Carter Enthusiast
Mar 3, 2004
Norcal

Forget the Pens, Rangers, AND Caps. His mark on the Kings will live on forever.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Question for the Pens fans chiming in here. Would you guys prefer to have Hagelin back over Pearson? I see that of late Pearson has either been a healthy scratch or relegated to the fourth line.

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
I thought the most anyone could retain on a contract was 50%? Pittsburgh already retained on his contract to make it an even salary swap when he was traded for Pearson.

I'm kinda sad to see him go because even though he has no offense he clicked with Kempe and Kovalchuk.

Technically two teams can retain 50% each, look at Dubnyk trade, so a 4M contract can be retained down to 1M if he's traded from team A with 50%(down to 2M) to team B traded to team C with another 50% retained(down to 1M)

Basically any bad contract (Lucic lets use) can be down to 1.5M if both Oilers and Team B both retained 50% each(I'm pretty sure he's at 6M right?)

SlickShot

Feb 8, 2019
Hagelin on the move again, second time this season. He'll be happy though to be on a playoff team once again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad