Proposal: WSH - COL

ChrisProngersEYE

Aug 17, 2023
Girard for Kuznetsov + 1 mil retention

I think Kuz can still play he's just being lazy cause he wants out. This is the rehab target the avs should've went after in the offseason instead of Ryjo but I guess Kuz was more expensive cause he was still putting up 55 points and ppg seasons before that and WSH wouldn't retain.

Top 4 dmen dont go for 2.5M
They do when these are their stats Colorado Avalanche Club Stats | 2023 - 2024 | Colorado Avalanche

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
1706912744890.png

Not sure that is true for around 20 minutes per game .42 points/game defenseman, but if you say so

Reactions: wetcoast

Random schmoe

Random fan with their own opinions
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2019
Ironically there were rumors of Kuznetsov for Johansen trade talks last off-season that obviously never came about for unknown reasons, and RyJo was instead dealt to Colorado.

If I were the Avs I probably wouldn't do that either. Both players suck, but Kuznetsov would cost more to suck.

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
i mean you can just have him....lol. nothing needed in return

not like it changes much for the caps for the next 3-5 years.

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
seems like another problem to the avs. the only way this might make sense is if the price is too high on other centers and washington retains down to $4m and swaps him for ryjo

Avsfan1921

Oct 5, 2019
It’s always interesting to see that people really believe that Girard is a negative asset lol….

Kuznetsov will not return a player of that calibre if he moves.

Reactions: Linds

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
It’s always interesting to see that people really believe that Girard as a negative asset lol….

Kuznetsov will not return a player of that calibre if he moves.
Girard is not a positive asset as the moment. Not with his his past down seasons coupled with personal issues and his propensity to cower in the playoffs.

Let's call a spade a spade here. No team will consider Girard a positive get. Avs will need to hold onto Girard for the long haul.

Avsfan1921

Oct 5, 2019
Girard is not a positive asset as the moment. Not with his his past down seasons coupled with personal issues and his propensity to cower in the playoffs.

Let's call a spade a spade here. No team will consider Girard a positive get. Avs will need to hold onto Girard for the long haul.
Incorrect, and it just goes to show what hive-mind mentality on this site does to players perceived value.

He has warts, like 85% of players in the NHL but any team that is in need of transition, above league average defense, and speed on the back end would be interested. As always, there are ebbs and flows on how many teams may need this kind of defenceman but he certainly is not a negative value asset.

He may not have huge positive value at the moment but he certainly has value for a fair hockey trade, not some “I’ll take on Girard if you attach a pick” trade.

Edit: and as for positive vs negative, his play on the ice brings far more positives. His size and durability are always a concern but his play is not.

Reactions: Linds and BrickNHL

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Incorrect, and it just goes to show what hive-mind mentality on this site does to players perceived value.

He has warts, like 85% of players in the NHL but any team that is in need of transition, above league average defense, and speed on the back end would be interested. As always, there are ebbs and flows on how many teams may need this kind of defenceman but he certainly is t a negative value asset.

He may not have huge positive value at the moment but he certainly has value for a fair hockey trade, not some “I’ll take on Girard if you attach a pick” trade.
Let's agree to disagree. Because if i am a competing team, i don't want Girard in the playoffs playing scared. I also don't want his caphit when i can find more suitable dmen for the playoffs.

If i am a rebuilding team, i don't want Girard with his "issues" and his lack of production while being a very small dman.

Can he transition the puck? Yes. That's about the only positive.

Not saying he's a net negative player. Just saying that he's not gonna get you any significant return and it would be a challenge to find a taker given his issues and lack of production (and lack of size). His caphit is not ideal either.

You have to take your Avs hat off and take a more holistic view of Girard.

Avsfan1921

Oct 5, 2019
Let's agree to disagree. Because if i am a competing team, i don't want Girard in the playoffs playing scared. I also don't want his caphit when i can find more suitable dmen for the playoffs.

If i am a rebuilding team, i don't want Girard with his "issues" and his lack of production while being a very small dman.

Can he transition the puck? Yes. That's about the only positive.

Not saying he's a net negative player. Just saying that he's not gonna get you any significant return and it would be a challenge to find a taker given his issues and lack of production (and lack of size). His caphit is not ideal either.

You have to take your Avs hat off and take a more holistic view of Girard.

There’s no Avs hat here fella. I call a players value to the best of my ability regardless of if he plays for my team and I’ve no delusions that he’ll return a massive haul if moved. He will return a similar value asset, as in a player with warts but is not a negative to the roster, rathar a positive asset to the roster.

He alone will not solve our 2c hole if traded for example. But he very well could fetch a second line wing. If atttached with a first and mid tier prospect, he could garner a second line C. The value of the prospect would determine the grade of 2c obviously but this is the level of player he is regardless of my perceived homerism and weather you agree or not. He will not receive a major haul value wise but is certainly not a dump.

And again, transitioning the puck is not his only asset as has been beaten into you from the hive-mind of hf. So I will not agree to disagree on that misinformation lol, not that it really matters.

Last edited:

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
There’s no Avs hat here fella. I call a players value to the best of my ability regardless of if he plays for my team and I’ve no delusions that he’ll return a massive haul if moved. He will return a similar value asset, as in a player with warts but is not a negative to the roster, rathar a positive asset to the roster.

He alone will not solve our 2c hole if traded for example. But he very well could fetch a second line wing. If atttached with a first and mid tier prospect, he could garner a second line C. The value of the prospect would determine the grade of 2c obviously but this is the level of player he is regardless of my perceived homerism and weather you agree or not. He will not receive a major haul value wise but is certainly not a dump.

And again, transitioning the puck is not his only asset as has been beaten into you from the give-mind of hf. So I will not agree to disagree on that misinformation lol, not that it really matters.
I would agree with you if he didn't have the "issues" that he has been facing. Teams won't take that on willingly unless its on a try-out basis (like a Drouin). The caphit and term make the risk unacceptable.

Avsfan1921

Oct 5, 2019
I would agree with you if he didn't have the "issues" that he has been facing. Teams won't take that on willingly unless it’s on a try-out basis (like a Drouin). The caphit and term make the risk unacceptable.
I can understand your hesitance on a player recently entering the players assistance program but we’ve seen a lot of players over the years be forgiven for their mistakes so long as theres a need of their services and I’m willing to bet that trend continues.

If anyone on the Avs can prove this example with even more term and more cap hit, it would be Nichushkin. If the Avs made him available today, there would be teams looking to trade for him guaranteed and he has a much more egregious history of letting his club down than Girard.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I can understand your hesitance on a player recently entering the players assistance program but we’ve seen a lot of players over the years be forgiven for their mistakes so long as theres a need of their services and I’m willing to bet that trend continues.

If anyone on the Avs can prove this example with even more term and more cap hit, it would be Nichushkin. If the Avs made him available today, there would be teams looking to trade for him guaranteed and he has a much more egregious history of letting his club down than Girard.
I am not so sure teams would be trading for Nikushkin. These types of issues teams do not take lightly. There are very few teams that would take this kind of risk. Especially for repeat offenders.

crab

Jan 26, 2019
I think I should add that Kuznetsov is definitely a negative asset but the Capitals won’t be adding anything significant to get rid of him. The benefit of doing that in their situation is limited. Maybe if the cost is really low they would but that is it.

A team may think it’s worth a gamble if the Capitals retain and if they really need a center. That is likely the only situation I can see him moving at this point. In this case it would likely be an upcoming UFA with a salary offsetting Kuznetsov with retention.

This is a player that could make a GM look like a genius if for some reason he goes somewhere and they can get to actually put forth an effort out there. He’s not that old and hasn’t had a significant injury, it’s really him mailing it in.

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
As a Caps fan I would say Kuznetsov is one of the worst players in the league when you factor in his cap hit.

Offensively, defensively, attitude, physical presence all shit.

Does he have the talent to turn it around? Yes.

Will he turn it around on a new team? Highly unlikely.
He's going out the way of Semin at this point.

Avsfan1921

Oct 5, 2019
I am not so sure teams would be trading for Nikushkin. These types of issues teams do not take lightly. There are very few teams that would take this kind of risk. Especially for repeat offenders.
I mean, you’re a Montreal fan right? Do you believe when Price went through his players assistance patch that had he came back to play to his full potential they wouldn’t find takers?

Andrei and Sergei kostitsyn had shinnanigans surrounding them in 2009 but both managed to find an employer in Nashville afterwards.

Danny Heatly had a car crash that killed a man and played forever after.

Patrick Roy and Ed Belfour both had allegations of spousal abuse.

Theo Fleury was an alcoholic.

There’s countless stories of the free flowing powder through the oilers team through the 80’s

This is literally just the ones I thought of off the top of my head… Sure there’s differences in many and obviously talent discrepancies among those listed but the bottom line is that if a player contributes positivelya team will very likely want them unless it’s something very egregious.

I think I should add that Kuznetsov is definitely a negative asset but the Capitals won’t be adding anything significant to get rid of him. The benefit of doing that in their situation is limited. Maybe if the cost is really low they would but that is it.

A team may think it’s worth a gamble if the Capitals retain and if they really need a center. That is likely the only situation I can see him moving at this point. In this case it would likely be an upcoming UFA with a salary offsetting Kuznetsov with retention.

This is a player that could make a GM look like a genius if for some reason he goes somewhere and they can get to actually put forth an effort out there. He’s not that old and hasn’t had a significant injury, it’s really him mailing it in.
For sure. It’s not a question of talent with him, it’s weather a team can keep him motivated.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I mean, you’re a Montreal fan right? Do you believe when Price went through his players assistance patch that had he came back to play to his full potential they wouldn’t find takers?

Andrei and Sergei kostitsyn had shinnanigans surrounding them in 2009 but both managed to find an employer in Nashville afterwards.

Danny Heatly had a car crash that killed a man and played forever after.

Patrick Roy and Ed Belfour both had allegations of spousal abuse.

Theo Fleury was an alcoholic.

There’s countless stories of the free flowing powder through the oilers team through the 80’s

This is literally just the ones I thought of off the top of my head… Sure there’s differences in many and obviously talent discrepancies among those listed but the bottom line is that if a player contributes positivelya team will very likely want them unless it’s something very egregious.
Regarding Price, no team would have taken him for free. His issues and contract made him untradable.

Regarding the former players you mentioned, those kind of issues were swept under the rug. It was a different time than it is now. Social media, wokeness etc. Times have changed.

The players that people takes chances on are ones that are given 1 x year contracts as a "look see" (e.g. Drouin). Not ones that have 3 years or longer with a high caphit. Too risky.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011

And again, transitioning the puck is not his only asset as has been beaten into you from the hive-mind of hf. So I will not agree to disagree on that misinformation lol, not that it really matters.
Would you do Girard for Kadri straight across?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad