Confirmed Signing with Link: [WSH] Capitals sign Garnet Hathaway (4 years, $1.5M AAV)

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
My point of that he's not really the type of player that turns the tide of a game. He hits a lot, but a lot of his hits you don't really notice. Great hardworking player for sure. However he's not shutting down any stars with his physical game or grittiness. Nor is he going toe to toe with any actual physical threats.

Sounds like the type that can turn a 7 game series by the time game 6 or 7 rolls around and the mosquito bite hits start to add up

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Seems one Flames fan feels a certain way about him, and a lot of other Flames fans feel a different way.

Interesting.

The truth is he is borderline NHL player, a filler. He will give an honest effort but there is nothing special about him. Tough enough but not really a tough guy.

For example if you replace him with a guy like Lazar, you wont see a difference.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Sounds like the type that can turn a 7 game series by the time game 6 or 7 rolls around and the mosquito bite hits start to add up
No. Not really. He's a solid bottom line player but pretty inconsequential. There's a reason why the Flames, who are lacking physical presence, let him go for nothing. The Flames are making room on their roster for guys who play with more energy.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
No. Not really. He's a solid bottom line player but pretty inconsequential. There's a reason why the Flames, who are lacking physical presence, let him go for nothing. The Flames are making room on their roster for guys who play with more energy.

Their 4th line and Sam Bennett were the only forwards to show up with a pulse against Colorado and he was the only physical presence on that line.

Flames probably let him go because they're trying to max their cap spending on their top 6 and hoping to get by with league min 4th liners where they can. It's what the caps did last year with Dowd, Stephenson and DSP costing like 2.5 mil total. Ultimately didn't pay off and the 4th line was a nonfactor whereas the year before it was very clutch in a cup run.

Capitals strategy this year is to spend more cap space on solid depth players since their top 6 and top 4 are all locked in and they're not looking to bring in any high salary impact players and play them on the 3rd line/bottom 3 on D. So Hagelin, Panik, Hathaway, Gudas and Leipsic to have a qualified forward at every role to tilt the ice over 7 games even if he won't set the world on fire. The flip side is if their top 6 doesn't show up for a round they probably won't have the bottom 6 carry the scoring enough to make up for it

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Their 4th line and Sam Bennett were the only forwards to show up with a pulse against Colorado and he was the only physical presence on that line.

Flames probably let him go because they're trying to max their cap spending on their top 6 and hoping to get by with league min 4th liners where they can. It's what the caps did last year with Dowd, Stephenson and DSP costing like 2.5 mil total. Ultimately didn't pay off and the 4th line was a nonfactor whereas the year before it was very clutch in a cup run.

Capitals strategy this year is to spend more cap space on solid depth players since their top 6 and top 4 are all locked in and they're not looking to bring in any high salary impact players and play them on the 3rd line/bottom 3 on D. So Hagelin, Panik, Hathaway, Gudas and Leipsic to have a qualified forward at every role to tilt the ice over 7 games even if he won't set the world on fire. The flip side is if their top 6 doesn't show up for a round they probably won't have the bottom 6 carry the scoring enough to make up for it

Hathaway was useless in the playoffs. Mangipane had one good game. That's it

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Another 4 year deal on a replacement level player,

I enjoy how you like to speak w such authority.

HF posters are always the smartest. Right? Not the guys making the actual decisions.

GMBM should definitely be 2nd and even 3rd guessed. I mean, what in the hell has he accomplished in his 5 years running the club?

Far less than HF Poster Mouser has. That’s for sure

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I enjoy how you like to speak w such authority.

HF posters are always the smartest. Right? Not the guys making the actual decisions.

GMBM should definitely be 2nd and even 3rd guessed. I mean, what in the hell has he accomplished in his 5 years running the club?

So in short, your response is an Appeal to Authority?

History shows us even the best GM’s are going to make a lot of dumb decisions. It’s just the nature of the job.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
So in short, your response is an Appeal to Authority?

No, LOL

My response is I am far happier that the Caps GM likes this player....than I should be concerned about your constant drum banging about contracts for bottom 3 players.

It’s your schtick. And it shows up on every thread, seemingly regardless of GM, team, and player. But by all means.....let’s hear about it again. You and your stance is important.

Last edited:

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
No, LOL

My response is I am far happier that the Caps GM likes this player....than we should be concerned about your constant drum banging about contracts for bottom 3 players.

It’s your schtick. And it shows up on every thread, seemingly regardless of GM, team, and player. But by all means.....let’s hear about it again. Your stance is important.

This is a Discussion forum. I’m sorry if you are having a difficult time being exposed to opinions you disagree with.

If you don’t want to read or respond to the content of my opinions then ignore them and move on.

For example you could argue that Hathaway isn’t a replacement level player, or that 4 year deals for bottom 6 guys are good if you actually wanted to respond to my opinion.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
This is a Discussion forum. I’m sorry if you are having a difficult time being exposed to opinions you disagree with.

If you don’t want to read or respond to the content of my opinions then ignore them and move on.

That’s a bit the pot calling the kettle black, isn’t it?

You stated your opinion, I stated mine — in that I trusted the Caps GM more than yours on this issue.

And for that I got one of the static half dozen or so HF Board euphemisms that covers someone’s butt hurt (appeal to authority!!!).

Next it will be my strawman argument or I have moved the goalposts or herp derp or ... you get my drift.

If you want to talk about the player, then please do. But it sounds like you want to lord over the discussion with your drum banging stance. Might as well show me this emoji :tmi:

The Instigator

Tom Wilson - NHL All Star
Feb 6, 2010
Worst case scenario he can likely be moved quite easily, or waived and put in the minors where the Caps would only incur a cap hit of $425,000. Even less as minimum salary increases.

I’m not sure why everyone is up in arms about the term on a player making $1,500,000 per season.

Not to mention the praise Hathaway has received from Flames fans.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007

Hathaway had zero points in the playoffs. Bennett showed up though.

The Flames let him go, because they need room to develop prospects in their bottom 6. Hathaway is what he is, and shows no signs of room for improvement. Hathaway won't be a difference maker. He's a solid warm body. He won't totally mess things up. Dependable 4th line guy. Nothing more and nothing less.

Hathaway probably was given more opportunities than he should have been in Calgary, as he's a good soldier. I wish the best for him in Washington.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Like others may have said, you'll be very disappointed if you play him on the 3rd line but he's a fantastic 4th liner that will fit in well with this Caps team

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
GMBM has made almost entirely good moves in his time in WSH. The Caps have had a habit of turning 4th line guys into commodities they have to replace because they work so well with their linemates. Beagle was very very good for the Caps. Imo DSP should have been brought in round one from game one. They seemed to still be punishing him for his offseason...

I said when they signed Orpik to the 5.5mil deal it would be worth it if they won a cup with him, and they did, and he was definitely a big help that year. Bringing him back this year wasn’t even so bad at the cost, but GMBM has a good eye.

I won’t judge this signing until I actually see it end badly.

Reactions: GoCaps2004

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Worst case scenario he can likely be moved quite easily, or waived and put in the minors where the Caps would only incur a cap hit of $425,000. Even less as minimum salary increases.

I’m not sure why everyone is up in arms about the term on a player making $1,500,000 per season.

Not to mention the praise Hathaway has received from Flames fans.

This.

First thing I do after my team gets a player is check out what the other teams boards say about him. Flames fans seem pretty happy with his play that is good enough for me.

Bottom line, as Insitgator says, he can be dumped in the minors and c'est la vie.

If this signings pushes Stephenson, Dowd and Boyd to better play, mission accomplished. Capitals 4th line was HORRIBLE last season.

Reactions: GoCaps2004

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad