Confirmed Signing with Link: [WSH] Capitals sign Garnet Hathaway (4 years, $1.5M AAV)

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
4th liner signed to 4 yr deal , Yeah not a fan of that

Good player but yeah

How much weight to you give chemistry to your idea of team building? You can sign a $1.5m 4th liner to 1 year deals and get a new one every season that is fine. All things being equal, though, wouldn't it be better for that 4th line to be the same guy that already fits into the team? The Caps have had good success with this with players like Jay Beagle and Matt Bradley and Matt Hendricks.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Too bad. Was a real role player in Calgary. We need the space in our bottom six, and I doubt the Flames were offering 4 years. Good for Hathaway though.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Why are teams giving term to bottom 6 players lol....

This is how you end up like us with Jay Beagle.
Jay Beagle's term isn't bad on a good team, the issue is the rest of your squad is trash (aside from the obvious few). Comparing a Cup contender's signing of a bottom 6 guy with a cellar dwelling team is absurd. Teams like the Caps are searching for "final pieces", a team like VAN prioritizing that signing while having nothing else was like trying to pick out curtains when you haven't built the walls yet. In practice curtains are necessary, and every other team is searching for them, but to spend your time locking them down while your house is still just 4 posts in a field is the issue. The Capitals have a fully furnished house, searching for final pieces makes sense, comparing VAN's weird talent prioritization does not.

Last edited:
Reactions: GirardSpinorama

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
I'll tell you this, the Caps certainly won't be fun to play against this upcoming season .. Plenty of size and grit on this roster!!
Hathaway means well and tries hard, but he's not especially difficult to play against. He's the kind of player that will fight, not then lose a lot of those fights.

He's more of a steady role player than an enforcer.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Hathaway means well and tries hard, but he's not especially difficult to play against. He's the kind of player that will fight, not then lose a lot of those fights.

So Matt Bradley 2.0?

SpanishGlossyBee-small.gif

Apr 6, 2004
This guy is going to be the new Hendricks / Laich for the Caps.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

Not fun to play against doesn't mean fighting. It means battling in the corners and net front and occasionally going over the edge. The Caps have Wilson. They don't need an enforcer.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Not fun to play against doesn't mean fighting. It means battling in the corners and net front and occasionally going over the edge. The Caps have Wilson. They don't need an enforcer.
My point of that he's not really the type of player that turns the tide of a game. He hits a lot, but a lot of his hits you don't really notice. Great hardworking player for sure. However he's not shutting down any stars with his physical game or grittiness. Nor is he going toe to toe with any actual physical threats.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
My point of that he's not really the type of player that turns the tide of a game. He hits a lot, but a lot of his hits you don't really notice. Great hardworking player for sure. However he's not shutting down any stars with his physical game or grittiness. Nor is he going toe to toe with any actual physical threats.

Matt Niskanen said they lost to Carolina because they had lost some of the "bite" they had in the cup run. They were playing too easy. This guy doesn't need to turn the tide of a game. They have Ovechkin and Wilson and Backstrom for that. They need a guy with a little bite for the 4th line.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Matt Niskanen said they lost to Carolina because they had lost some of the "bite" they had in the cup run. They were playing too easy. This guy doesn't need to turn the tide of a game. They have Ovechkin and Wilson and Backstrom for that. They need a guy with a little bite for the 4th line.
I don't think how chippy your 4RW is really changes how much "bite" the team plays with. That was much more of a general comment about the team buying in and being willing to play with more aggression and be the team that forces the other team to react instead of being caught on their heels.

Reactions: BallardEra

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I don't think how chippy your 4RW is really changes how much "bite" the team plays with. That was much more of a general comment about the team buying in and being willing to play with more aggression and be the team that forces the other team to react instead of being caught on their heels.

Which player would you say has more bite? Connolly or Panik? Burakovsky or Panik? Lets leave Gudas out of it for now. Buy in and commitment comes from more players being more comfortable stepping up.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Hathaway isn't very noticable most nights. He chips in here and there. He's however not the kind of player who is going to noticably the complexion of any team. He's basically the type of player, why if he was only slightly worse, would be a career AHLer.

Good attitude though.

Reactions: goku420

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
I beg to differ when I look at the New York Islanders 4th line of Cizikas, Clutterbuck and Martin. They definitely can be game changers for their team and the team does feed off of it. I don't always agree with Don Cherry but believe he was right to call that the best 4th line. Come to think of it I believe Tom Wilson when he was just playing as a 4RW helped to influence the team's play at times.

Reactions: txpd

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Man I'm so happy Hathaway got some term and stability. He earned it. He fought tooth and nail to be a full timer. The term is odd, yes, but in today's cap world 1.5 is nothing to make disappear if need be.

Caps fans will love the guy, no frills, a true role player. Doesn't try play above his skill level, hits hard, willing to drop the gloves, protects teammates, involved in every scrum, decent PKer and he can pot a few goals. Wish the Flames could've kept him.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Good energy player
But I doubt he can repeat the offense. There is not a better center than Derek Ryan to play with on the 4th line

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto

I feel we missed Beagles "bite" big time... you need those always hustling 4th liners, that's how you get energy and then momentum.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Hathaway is a regular player that helps your 4th line play regular minutes instead of getting benched as much. Solid on the PK. I suspect his offense will drop a tiny bit, as his shooting percentage was significantly higher than his norm last year(went from sub 6% to 14.3%). Could be him adjusting to the NHL, but I'd still suspect a slight regression.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Hathaway isn't very noticable most nights. He chips in here and there. He's however not the kind of player who is going to noticably the complexion of any team. He's basically the type of player, why if he was only slightly worse, would be a career AHLer.

Good attitude though.

Seems one Flames fan feels a certain way about him, and a lot of other Flames fans feel a different way.

Interesting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad