Confirmed Signing with Link: [WSH] Backstrom extension with Caps (5 years, $9.2M AAV)

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
You don’t let a hall of famer who wants to spend his whole career (and was a huge part of you cup run) walk.

He’s one of the best defensive centers in league, Ovi has said he wants him and Backstrom to go out together, and in past 4 playoff years Backstrom has 55 points in 52 games.

He’s solid. I think he ages similar to Thornton too. Similar styles.

Reactions: Calicaps

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Under 10 million for one of their best players. People think 32 is old? Man, a lot of these keyboard warriors are about to hit retirement soon then.
It's not young. There are only 71 players older than Backstrom in the NHL. Only 7 that are older than what Backstrom will be in the second last year of his deal (36)

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
You don’t let a hall of famer who wants to spend his whole career (and was a huge part of you cup run) walk.

He’s one of the best defensive centers in league, Ovi has said he wants him and Backstrom to go out together, and in past 4 playoff years Backstrom has 55 points in 52 games.

He’s solid. I think he ages similar to Thornton too. Similar styles.

Backstrom's going to look like a crazy homeless man in his late 30's as well?

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
First off, after the Cup win in 2018, the team's owner said publicly that 8 and 19 would be Caps for life, cost be damned.

And they want more Cups.

But also, Backstrom and Ovie are on a mission to break the all-time goals record together. This is step one. If they're in real striking distance by the end of this contract, they'll be signing one-year deals to chase it down.

nihlify

Jan 20, 2010
This I don't get. How is Toews contract worse?

Basically the same point output the last two years, both palyers are pretty good defensively, yet Toews contract has 3 more years, Backstroms has 5 after this year.

Last 2 years
Toews 116pts in 128GP (0.90pts/GP)
Backstrom 109pts in 119GP (0.91pts/GP)

Considering Toews (Saad/Nylander this year) has played with a lot worse players than Backstrom (Ovechkin/Wilson) has in those 120 or so games, is Toews contract bad if Backstroms isn't?
I haven't watched much Blackhawks but I've seen a lot of people saying he needs to raise his game in game day threads. Maybe something other than points?

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I haven't watched much Blackhawks but I've seen a lot of people saying he needs to raise his game in game day threads. Maybe something other than points?
Earlier in the season he wasn't very good. But since the coach switched systems in early Nov, he is top 10 in the league in ES pts, has positive Corsi numbers on a terrible defensive Hawk team (2nd on his team next to Saad) and is near a point per game. He's pretty much the same player he was last year at this point.

Reactions: Crow

Jeremy Hronek

Aug 18, 2009
chilliwack , bc
Horrible deal. He has been slowing down for a few years now. His speed is not there anymore. He has 9 goals this season...

The other issue is that they have McMichael who is should be ready for the NHL next season. Him and Kuznetsov are their future. So there was no need for this overpayment...
He has never been a goal scorer, he was putting up 18 goals in his prime which is a similar pace to this year.

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
Given Backstrom's game and lack of physicality, his longevity won't be an issue unless he suffers something spinal related.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
I dont like Beckstrom (ha) but i dont see a problem with this deal.

32ish now. Ends when he's 37. Good for 70+ pts a year. MIGHT start to slow down the last year but you worry about that then.

Not sure what this does for the Capitals cap structure though. Ovi makes $9.5ish, Carlsson and Kuz make $8 mil. Now this $9 mil. I cant imagine how Holtby gets signed .. if they want to i suppose.

Mar 26, 2010
Wow, these 5 and 6 year contracts have become the norm now. No one wants to sign 8 years.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Hell of a player. Swedes tend to age well and Backstrom is a smart cookie who doesn't rely on his physical attributes to be effective. Barring injuries I see this contract being fine.

Reactions: dukeofjive

philip

dismember
Jun 27, 2014
Backstrom is the Andrea Pirlo of the NHL. He doesn't need to move much and show crazy turns of speed to have an effect on the game. Let your Vrana's et al burn the ice up. I can't see a reason why Backstrom won't age like a fine wine. HOWEVER this does seem like a lot of money... I reckon about 1m aav too much. That's not 'bury your face in your pillow and cry' type of overpayment though by any means. I'm just conscious of the fact that in a year or two, we're gonna have a bunch of old guys taking a big portion of our wage cap.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
This I don't get. How is Toews contract worse?

Basically the same point output the last two years, both palyers are pretty good defensively, yet Toews contract has 3 more years, Backstroms has 5 after this year.

Last 2 years
Toews 116pts in 128GP (0.90pts/GP)
Backstrom 109pts in 119GP (0.91pts/GP)

Considering Toews (Saad/Nylander this year) has played with a lot worse players than Backstrom (Ovechkin/Wilson) has in those 120 or so games, is Toews contract bad if Backstroms isn't?

3 of Toews years of a $10M cap hit he had ~50pts. That’s why it’s a much worse contract. I like how you only talk about the last two years solely because one of those years includes Toews only 80pt season.

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
Wow, these 5 and 6 year contracts have become the norm now. No one wants to sign 8 years.

Young players who can make more after the new TV deal take 5 year deals. Washington was the one to not offer that much term.

Guys like Hayes go for the 7 years because they know they aren't going to be paid more or even playing in the NHL anymore.

SharksFan1

Aug 9, 2010
Orange County, CA
Under 10 million for one of their best players. People think 32 is old? Man, a lot of these keyboard warriors are about to hit retirement soon then.
Seriously. There are players who don't hit their prime till 29 or 30 and play elite hockey well into their mid-30s. At 32 year-old, a 5 year deal for one of your best and most consistent players seems perfectly fine. If it was a 7 or 8 year deal I'd be worried, but 5 years seems fine. Maybe he starts to slow down the last year or two, but I don't see him dropping off a cliff as far as production goes.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00