Confirmed Signing with Link: [WSH] Backstrom extension with Caps (5 years, $9.2M AAV)

sens13

Mar 16, 2017
Because it's his most recent play that we are comparing? Why are you bringing up something that's in the past?

"3-50pt seasons" I mean, really it's more like 2-60pt seasons, and over those years his "on-pace" is 60pts since he missed a bunch of games.

No I still don't see, Backstrom makes 1.3mil less for 2 more years than Toews, that's all that matters. What they signed for at the time of the deal means little. If Toews were to sign a contract today, he would get a very similar contract to what Backstrom has now. it's really not debatable.

Look at this and tell me where Backstrom is so much better than Toews the last 3 years.
Player Season Totals - Natural Stat Trick

Also, the last 4 seasons (including this year)
Backstrom 137ES pts in 282GP 0.49ESpts/GP
Toews 134ES pts in 275GP 0.49ESpt/GP

This year
Backstrom 14ES pts in 39GP 0.36ES pt/GP
Toews 26ES pts in 47GP 0.55ES pts/GP

We are talking about right now, right?

I'm not bringing up the past. I'm comparing from when he signed the deal to show you why people consider it to be bad. You can't see that because you nitpicked one season where he performed better than usual to prove your point.

He's been a 55 point center since he signed his deal except for last year.

Just because he performed well in 1 year doesn't excuse the 4 previous years.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I'm not bringing up the past. I'm comparing from when he signed the deal to show you why people consider it to be bad. You can't see that because you nitpicked one season where he performed better than usual to prove your point.

He's been a 55 point center since he signed his deal except for last year.

Just because he performed well in 1 year doesn't excuse the 4 previous years.
I've nitpicked his last 109GP? OK. I've also shown the ES pts for the last 4 SEASONS!!!!, which is identical to Backstrom. And one of those seasons where he scored 58pts, he only played 72games, which is like a 66pt pace.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Backstrom is .97ppg and Tavares is .94ppg.

Seriously it takes two seconds to Google.
I don’t care about what Backstrom put up numbers wise ten years ago that inflate his stats, right now going forward is what matters.
That is their career ppg numbers.
before JT entered the league he had seasons of 101 88 and 69. Tavares is a much better goal scorer and hasn’t played his entire career on a generational players coattails.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Ouch. Backstrom is a very good player no doubt but these type of "loyalty contracts" are the reason why teams end up declining and have to pretty much rebuild everything from scratch eventually.

If you didn't pay them, what incentive do future players have to be loyal themselves? Not only are they gambling on Ovie and Backstorm aging well, they're setting a precedence for future players. And lets be real. Washington is pretty much going full rebuild the day Ovie and co. retire.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I don’t care about what Backstrom put up numbers wise ten years ago that inflate his stats, right now going forward is what matters.

before JT entered the league he had seasons of 101 88 and 69. Tavares is a much better goal scorer and hasn’t played his entire career on a generational players coattails.
We are good here. You keep your 11m dollar UFA center. And Caps can keep their 9.2m dollar UFA center.

it wasn’t even a Caps fan that brought Tavares into this. So please let it go. We don’t need yet another thread littered with Leaf crap whole also trying to disparage our player (coattails ... sure man). We Caps fans simply don’t care about Tavares.

Great for you guys. I hope he finally leads a Leafs team beyond the first round of the playoffs

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
We are good here. You keep your 11m dollar UFA center. And Caps can keep their 9.2m dollar UFA center.

it wasn’t even a Caps fan that brought Tavares into this. So please let it go. We don’t need yet another thread littered with Leaf crap. We Caps fans simply don’t care about Tavares.

Great for you guys. I hope he finally leads a Leafs team beyond the first round of the playoffs
It took Ovi and Backstrom a decade to accomplish the ultimate goal of playing in the NHL. Caps fans should be last the last fanbase to chirp a team who's core consists of a 25 year old (Rielly), 23 year old (Nylander), and two 22 year olds (Matthews + Marner) along with Tavares for not being able to go deep in the playoffs.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
It took Ovi and Backstrom a decade to accomplish the ultimate goal of playing in the NHL. Caps fans should be last the last fanbase to chirp a team who's core consists of a 25 year old (Rielly), 23 year old (Nylander), and two 22 year olds (Matthews + Marner) along with Tavares for not being able to go deep in the playoffs.

Not really, Bud.

Caps had best RS decade of any team, and 3rd best RS decade of all time in NHL history. Plus they won a Stanley Cup, 3 President’s Cups, and won 9 playoff series in the decade. So— yeah, Caps fan can chirp a little bit. More than most franchises save Pittsburgh, Los Angeles, and Chicago.

And LOL we certainly aren’t “the last fanbase” to discuss success and what it takes. We can leave that to you .....(or insert alternate fanbase)

But if your comment makes you feel better, then go ahead.

you guys litter every single thread with your insecurities. We get it. You like your team. Great. You like your forwards. Great.

leave this thread alone. It’s about Backstrom remaining a Cap. We don’t need crap from insecure Leaf fan commenting on how “but Tavares is better”.

you want to argue Backstrom vs Tavares, then create a thread about it.

Last edited:

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
Capitals got like 20 million cap savings from how underpaid he was for the last 10 years. He would have gotten more on the open market too. f***ing Jeff Skinner and RFAs worse than Backstrom get comparable $$$ lol

Also the fact that he paces himself in the RD and then significantly turns it up in the playoffs helps soften the cap hit

Last edited:

sergejean

Dec 11, 2007
If you didn't pay them, what incentive do future players have to be loyal themselves? Not only are they gambling on Ovie and Backstorm aging well, they're setting a precedence for future players. And lets be real. Washington is pretty much going full rebuild the day Ovie and co. retire.

"If you want loyalty, buy a dog" - Marc Bergevin

I get what you're saying but the NHL is a business. Players themselves bring that all the time when they sign with another team.

The reality is if you hold on to your veterans for too long you're shooting yourself in the foot as an organization.

I do agree however that you still have to keep 1 or 2 core veterans if only to pass on the torch to the new generation and make sure your organization doesn't take the Oilers/Sabres route.

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
Seems like a good deal to me. And let's not pretend that he shouldn't be rewarded with helping the Caps win their first Stanley Cup.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
They’re going to lose a big part of their depth anyway because now someone else will have to leave. To win the cup, you need depth. You don’t win by paying players more than what they’re worth.

See Chicago’s roster for Example A of what happens when you pay guys based on what they did instead of what they’re going to do.

And if they let Backstrom walk because they don't want to tie up that much money on him, they're farther along to winning the Cup in the next couple of seasons?

What makes this current Caps roster a bigger Cup threat? Backstrom and a youngster on an ELC making $800k filling in on the 4th line, or the $10 million split between a below average top six center making around $6 million and a tweener making $4 million?

CoopersFalls

Director of Armchair Operations
Mar 5, 2010
Central Ontario
And if they let Backstrom walk because they don't want to tie up that much money on him, they're farther along to winning the Cup in the next couple of seasons?

What makes this current Caps roster a bigger Cup threat? Backstrom and a youngster on an ELC making $800k filling in on the 4th line, or the $10 million split between a below average top six center making around $6 million and a tweener making $4 million?

I’d rather a 6 million C and spend the 4 million elsewhere. There will be options in the UFA and trade market. There’s no guarantee they will win within two years and fairly likely they won’t win in years 3-5 paying him that much. As I said, Chicago is exhibit A. Toews, Kane, Keith and Seabrook making all the dough because they won before. Now there’s no money to fill out the roster. That’s bad management, IMO.

Only time will tell.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I’d rather a 6 million C and spend the 4 million elsewhere. There will be options in the UFA and trade market. There’s no guarantee they will win within two years and fairly likely they won’t win in years 3-5 paying him that much. As I said, Chicago is exhibit A. Toews, Kane, Keith and Seabrook making all the dough because they won before. Now there’s no money to fill out the roster. That’s bad management, IMO.

Only time will tell.

Chicago's problem is they paid guys who then became way less than their salary. Toews is getting paid $10.5 million to essentially be a 50-ish point center. Seabrook's getting paid top pairing money (or was at the time) while he's actually performing at a bottom pairing level. Nothing wrong with the Kane or Keith salaries. That's also not factoring in bad drafting and questionable trades from Bowman.

If the Caps start paying 3 or 4 guys well over what they're worth, then Chicago is a good example. But paying one guy a premium at the risk of him not being worth it in 4 or 5 year's time isn't the same situation.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
Seems like a good deal to me. And let's not pretend that he shouldn't be rewarded with helping the Caps win their first Stanley Cup.

It is this kind of attitude that destroys teams and gets GM's fired. He was rewarded. By being paid handsomely. Im pretty sure if I went to my boss and asked for a raise based on some good work I did 3 or 4 years ago he would laugh. If he was 28 this would be a good deal. 33? Not so much.

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
It is this kind of attitude that destroys teams and gets GM's fired. He was rewarded. By being paid handsomely. Im pretty sure if I went to my boss and asked for a raise based on some good work I did 3 or 4 years ago he would laugh. If he was 28 this would be a good deal. 33? Not so much.

I guess but teams don't make money off of your merchandise.

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
Perhaps. There's still value to the team on and off the ice as far as I'm concerned.

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
Don't you know, what happened 2+ years ago is more important than what has happened the last 2 or so years.

Nah what happened the last 2 or so years is pretty important too

cut.jpg

Reactions: Kallio

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad