Writer calls Barkov q generational player

Status
Not open for further replies.

D Wakaluk

Dec 8, 2010
stuck in the '90s
Better stop talking about Barkov.

He is literally the last guy to deserve the HFBoards Hate Train treatment, makes me a sad puppy

Barkov-Laine-KH-03-1-630x400.jpg

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
As a society, we validate idiocy too much. Everyone has a platform, and those that spout absolute nonsense gets dragged out into the spotlight to be used as an example. We'd be a lot better off if people saying stupid stuff would get exactly the amount of attention they deserve, zero.

goblin3

Mar 23, 2014
Generational? Nah...
But I think he will be remembered as the two way superstar of this generation.

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
He is not generational bur after Crosby and McDavid, he is just as good as anyone out there when it comes to centers.

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
That generational BS aside.

Barkov's strength is that he has no bad weaknesses (if truly any), not in his play, not in his character. Likable guy who knows the hockey, and wants to get better at it.

Hagged

Jul 6, 2009
No, he isn't. Barkov's good but he's over rated if you ask me, def not generational.

He is generational only if you measure it by how overrated a player is. He is closer to Trochek/Huberdeau level than Crosby/Gretzky. Fast becoming the most overrated player in hockey history.

Reactions: Hapiii

ChiefWiggum

Dec 17, 2016
Newfoundland
I honestly don't know because I don't watch the Panthers but from what I hear they say people would be raving about him if he played in a Canadian market

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Why can’t we be cool with just letting great players be great players? Why does everybody gotta be the goat?

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Comparables to what I think Barkov could become in near history would be Datsyuk, Forsberg, Francis type player. Top10 in league for the next perennial, but not generational. HOF caliber he could reach if he has a long career without injuries. The talent is there and hes shown much progress last 2 years. Nothing is for certain though...

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
Why's that ******ed lion on his chest piercing its own head, though?

Maybe it's allegory of Finns overall melancholy, alcohol- and mental problems, pessimism and other cool stuff that has led to a situation we have one of highest suicide rates per capita in the world. Even in the National Epic Kalevala, tragic hero Kullervo succumbs to his own sword by his own will... Maybe that lion tries kill itself too. :P

Temptation can be high when reading these generational threads. :P

Coat of arms of Finland - Wikipedia

Reactions: JAS 39 Gripen

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
No, but he isn't any less generational than Matthews or Eichel

I think this whole generational thing is stupid because having 10+ generational players at once defeats the meaning of it, but for arguments sake how is a player who is in his fifth season who has yet to surpass the rookie point totals of Matthews or even remotely approach his goals scored in a season not any less generational?

goblin3

Mar 23, 2014
He is generational only if you measure it by how overrated a player is. He is closer to Trochek/Huberdeau level than Crosby/Gretzky. Fast becoming the most overrated player in hockey history.
LOL. Trocheck and Huberdeau are close to Barkov in points only, everything else goes to Barkov. Not saying Barkov = Crosby/Gretzky tho.

I think this whole generational thing is stupid because having 10+ generational players at once defeats the meaning of it, but for arguments sake how is a player who is in his fifth season who has yet to surpass the rookie point totals of Matthews or even remotely approach his goals scored in a season not any less generational?
When Barkov was Matthews' age he had 59 points in 66 games, compared to Matthews' 50 points in 53 games. Factor in defensive play and one could easily argue Barkov was ahead of Matthews at the same age.

Reactions: 1OApick

BullLund

Dec 28, 2017
I would say that he is generational from Finland's perspective. Only Laine might challenge him, but he will probably never have Barkov's overall tools as a player. It took literally a generation for Finland to start producing players of Laine's and Barkov's talent. After Selänne's generation, we didn't have any of such players, for almost 2 decades.

The world is filled with great hockey players though. To call one guy "generational", means that he has to stand above the rest. Right now, Barkov just cannot claim that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad