Writer calls Barkov q generational player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
Barkov is becoming the new Toews without the team success and I really like Barkov but come on

Barkov has a much much better offensive repertoire than Johnny T. Pair him with a Keith/Seabrook/Kane/Coach Q in their primes and he'd probably be winning cups too.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Barkov is better than Toews ever was.

He really isn't though. Toews in his peak season was 18th in points per game compared to Barkov being 22nd right now and also had significantly better possession metrics. Barkov is better at shootouts though, but maybe not by much.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Barkov has a much much better offensive repertoire than Johnny T. Pair him with a Keith/Seabrook/Kane/Coach Q in their primes and he'd probably be winning cups too.

People have truly forgotten how good Toews was. A much better offensive repertoire? Toews was a faster skater and a more aggressive player who also had very good shooting ability. Hands and passing go to Barkov, but Toews was elite there himself.

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON

Is Barkov on the brink of generational status?

I think looking just at points to determine if someone is “generational” or not is very limiting.

Barkov is a two-way beast, who’s damn near unstoppable when he wants to get somewhere.

I don’t think there’s a GM that wouldn’t love to have him on their team.

Reactions: FinRanger

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
The thing about Barkov that interests me the most is that he sets the standards of play. Go through draft interviews from 2015 onward and its likely you will see the player say they want to model their game around Barkov.

brock0791

Jul 2, 2015
Hasn't surpassed Datsyuk, Kopitar, Bergeron as bet player of his style in last 10 years

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I think looking just at points to determine if someone is “generational” or not is very limiting.

Barkov is a two-way beast, who’s damn near unstoppable when he wants to get somewhere.

I don’t think there’s a GM that wouldn’t love to have him on their team.

Everyone would love to have him on their team, doesn't mean he is a generational player. He's not even a top 5 defensive forward of his own generation yet, and he's also not as good offensively as the players ahead of him in defense yet (Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Kopitar, Toews, Bergeron)

Hagged

Jul 6, 2009
Claim of stats Goblin provided being false.
authentic said:
Edit: Also your stats from the other thread were false, Matthews this season has a 50.5 CF% and 1.1 rel, better than you were stating and hardly a big difference compared to Barkov even this year...

Goblin provides source and emphasizes 5vs5 stats:
According to hockeyreference.com Matthews' 5v5 CF% 49.6, rel% 0.4.

Again authentic claims the 5vs5 stats are wrong, however links to ES stats.
Wrong.

Auston Matthews Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

You were probably looking at fenwick but even still he has a 1.5 rel there not .4
Goblin notes that 5vs5 isn't equivalent to even strength.
FYI 5v5 /= Even strength
Authentic doesn't see a point in noting that.
Yep your point?
Goblin states the link by authentic was to ES stats, they don't prove 5vs5 stats provided by Goblin are false.
You linked his even strength stats, not 5v5, which is what I was talking about in the message which you replied wrong to. Auston Matthews NHL Advanced Statistics (5-on-5) | Hockey-Reference.com
Authentic says even strength is even strength.
Ok, what does it matter though? Even strength is even strength.
Authentic is partly correct, as the claim "even strength is even strength" is a logical tautology, always true. However, it does matter when the even strength stats are being held as the factual proof of Goblins 5vs5 stats being false.

I don't see the evidence provided by authentic compelling enough to think Goblins 5vs5 stats are wrong. Sorry.

Reactions: authentic

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Everyone would love to have him on their team, doesn't mean he is a generational player. He's not even a top 5 defensive forward of his own generation yet, and he's also not as good offensively as the players ahead of him in defense yet (Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Kopitar, Toews, Bergeron)

Dont you feel stupid already? So, Matthews, Eichel, McDavid, Couture, Marner etc are better defensively from his generation? Tell me which 5 are better or stop talking shit.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
I love a good pile-on as much as the next guy, but this isn't a good pile-on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad