Confirmed Trade: [WPG/VGK] Paul Stastny for 2022 4th round pick and Carl Dahlstrom

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Trading a 1st and 2nd and possibly more to dump Fleury is just monumentally more dumb than just buying him out. Pissing away that level assets because you don't want dead cap space is the wrong decision IMO.
That's the thinking that keeps some teams mediocre.

The Knights are contending and looking to go over the top. Cap space is more important than draft picks when trying to win now.

Besides that 1st rounder might as well be a 2nd rounder, the difference is neglibile. 28-32nd pick.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
That's the thinking that keeps some teams mediocre.

The Knights are contending and looking to go over the top. Cap space is more important than draft picks when trying to win now.

Besides that 1st rounder might as well be a 2nd rounder, the difference is neglibile. 28-32nd pick.

No, I'm arguing that point because the value in those picks as trade chips is way more valuable than the saved cap space. Don't make this a strawman about "winning now".

This isn't "futures are all that matters", it's that Vegas can get way more by buying out Fleury and keeping those assets than trading those assets to get out of Fleruy's deal entirely.

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
I like the move for Winnipeg, but they really should’ve gotten something more back like a pick.

this trade feels like a small win for the Jets but a bigger win for Vegas.
This is the correct analysis.

It's a good deal for the Jets. Stastny is still a solid 2C and getting him for a 4th to fill a gap short-term is good value compared to other options.

It's a great deal for Vegas to get cap space without having to pay for it.

Works for both teams, even if it is probably value wise, better for Vegas.

Reactions: RCAFguytip24112

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I like the move for Winnipeg, but they really should’ve gotten something more back like a pick.

this trade feels like a small win for the Jets but a bigger win for Vegas.
Jets need a 2c for next year, badly. If they were not going to get Stastny for cheap, some1 else likely would.

let's see if Vegas can ink Pietrangelo now

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
Ridiculous trade by the Jets (IMHO) Vegas must be laughing their asses off. Get rid of Stasnys contract and go after Pietrangelo and also get a 4th rounder, albeit conditional. Jets should have got a guaranteed 3rd as well as Stasny.
Surprisingly Winnipeg was not on his NO 10 team trade list.

Don't get me wrong; I like Stastny and he should help the Jets but geeze they just handed a terrific opportunity to a main competitor.

Reactions: Morrison

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Stastny is a nice 2C for a season and a good presence for them. They have the space and the need, you don't mess around trying to get a third round pick on top of paying almost nothing and risk missing the opportunity completely.

Jets get a good top six center for almost nothing, keep Laine happy and Vegas gets cap space. It works for both.

I think I would put the Jets as the most likely team to win a cup for Canada going into next season. They still have a very good team.

Aug 25, 2009
éal
The Golden Knights are chasing their tail ever since they made it to the SCF. I understand they wanted to capitalize on their early success, but it really seem like the honeymoon is over and they want to extend it by any mean, at the cost of it's future. They did built a good prospect pool early on, but it was a thin one compared to the other franchises who stockpiled picks for years before them. Now the cupboard of picks and prospects are running empty. They will have to overpay just to get rid of Fleury, simply because they liked Lehner better. Or will they trade Pacioretty, the guy they sacrificed Suzuki for? All this because they think Pietrangelo is the missing link. Just like Stone was. Just like Stastny was. Just like Tatar was.

Maybe they grab Pietrangelo, but what if they dont? What if they still lose in the 2nd or the 3rd round? They dont have any kind of cushion to fall back afterwards, the fall will be painful in 3-4 year when Stone/Karlsson/Marchessault/Pacioretty/Lehner are over their prime and they dont have ANYTHING to replace them. Cody Glass, Nic Hague and Zach Whitecloud is just not a good foundation to build around.

anyway, /endrant and i will still be cheering for the Golden Knights, because I love what they bring to the league as enterainement excitement, and because their management is proactive and not afraid to make big move, I just think all their big moves lack a long-term plan.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
No, I'm arguing that point because the value in those picks as trade chips is way more valuable than the saved cap space. Don't make this a strawman about "winning now".

This isn't "futures are all that matters", it's that Vegas can get way more by buying out Fleury and keeping those assets than trading those assets to get out of Fleruy's deal entirely.
Show your work. What does buying out MAF and creating dead cap space do for their salary structure with their obvious intent of adding an impact player today

ijuka

May 14, 2016
What, Paul Stastny is a cap dump. How would Jets need to actually give up something of value?

Leafs had to give up a first round pick to get rid of 1 year of Marleau's contract of similar value, and Jets do such a favor for VGK and even give assets up? Marleau scored 37 points the season before Stastny 38.

General Disarray

Jul 21, 2016
Toronto
People keep saying Winnipeg helped Vegas, but it looks like the other way around. They just handed Winnipeg a 2C for free essentially. Who is gonna play 2C for Vegas? They will probably have to pay $4m to find one in FA.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
People keep saying Winnipeg helped Vegas, but it looks like the other way around. They just handed Winnipeg a 2C for free essentially. Who is gonna play 2C for Vegas? They will probably have to pay $4m to find one in FA.
So you're saying they're saving 2.5mil in cap and even receive assets, and that somehow is a bad thing for them? Stastny also isn't even a 2C on any decent team.

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
I think the cost was what it was due to one or more teams being interested if the cost wasn't too high. Someone might have given a 5th or 6th, but maybe not a conditional 4th.

While I don't necessarily hate it, still feel a draft pick should have been going the other way.

KahunWOW

Apr 14, 2006
Germany
I found Stastny pretty disappointing these playoffs. Couldn't generate much at all despite his 0.5 PPG.

Clearing that much cap space and getting a 4th on top of it, has to be considered a win for Vegas.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad