Confirmed Trade: [WPG/VGK] Paul Stastny for 2022 4th round pick and Carl Dahlstrom

GreatSaveEssensa

The Dark Side Of The Goon
Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba
Deal is fine for Winnipeg, but it must be depressing seeing a GM mishandle a previous contender like Chevy has since 2018.
Yup thats what happens when u draft very well for years and the kids want to get paid, your #1 D man and one of the most polarizing players in the league quits the night before the season starts and you play in an undesirable market.

If Buff would of informed Chevy beforehand of his intentions we would of signed Chiarot and would have most likely made a pitch for Myers. Having our # 2 C get hurt weeks into last season didnt help either. Sometimes u can plan all u want but life throws unexpected curveballs. Thats what happened here to no real fault of Chevys.

GreatSaveEssensa

Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba
Yes but that other one is a #1 or #2 defencemen. Which seems unlikely. So that defence is still paper thin regardless of what Jets fans think of Samberg or Heinola
When you have the best goalie in the league you can afford to be a little thinner on the back end and still have a chance to win most nights. But ya a #1 or 2 dman would help. Stupid Byfuglien!

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Yup thats what happens when u draft very well for years and the kids want to get paid, your #1 D man and one of the most polarizing players in the league quits the night before the season starts and you play in an undesirable market.

If Buff would of informed Chevy beforehand of his intentions we would of signed Chiarot and would have most likely made a pitch for Myers. Having our # 2 C get hurt weeks into last season didnt help either. Sometimes u can plan all u want but life throws unexpected curveballs. Thats what happened here to no real fault of Chevys.

I mean, he’s been an extremely passive GM and basically pissed away their contention window by being in love with his players and mishandling Trouba and now potentially Laine.

larmex99

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2013
What, Paul Stastny is a cap dump. How would Jets need to actually give up something of value?

Leafs had to give up a first round pick to get rid of 1 year of Marleau's contract of similar value, and Jets do such a favor for VGK and even give assets up? Marleau scored 37 points the season before Stastny 38.
You have just explained TML asset management in one post. Well done!

GreatSaveEssensa

Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba
*one of the best goalies in the league..the best one just won the cup
Not really how it works but I do agree vasilevsky is right up there. Im sure if u put Helly on the Bolts they would of had the same outcome. In fact after the workload Helly had this past season he may of considered it a vacation playing behind a D like Tampa has

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
Not really how it works but I do agree vasilevsky is right up there. Im sure if u put Helly on the Bolts they would of had the same outcome. In fact after the workload Helly had this past season he may of considered it a vacation playing behind a D like Tampa has
true. As of now, I just want helly to be more consistent before putting best goalie title on him. He has had one great season followed by a mediocre one so if he fixes that..

GreatSaveEssensa

Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba
I mean, he’s been an extremely passive GM and basically pissed away their contention window by being in love with his players and mishandling Trouba and now potentially Laine.
How was Trouba mishandled? He didnt want to be here and nothing Chevy could do would change that. For what its worth I thought Chevy made off very well in that deal considering the circumstances. And as far as Laine goes he wanted to bet on himself and sign a bridge. We still have him for 3 years under team control. Lots of time to get it done and the Stastny deal today only helped keep Laine happy.

GreatSaveEssensa

Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba
true. As of now, I just want helly to be more consistent before putting best goalie title on him. He has had one great season followed by a mediocre one so if he fixes that..
In my opinion hes been very consistent. Helped his team to the semis 3 seasons ago and made the all star team. Dipped a tad the season after that bit still gave the Jets a very real shot at winning most nights and then followed that up with another All Star nod and Vezina win. Not to shabby for a guy who u deem inconsistent.

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
In my opinion hes been very consistent. Helped his team to the semis 3 seasons ago and made the all star team. Dipped a tad the season after that bit still gave the Jets a very real shot at winning most nights and then followed that up with another All Star nod and Vezina win. Not to shabby for a guy who u deem inconsistent.
i meant more of a down season compared to the previous one he had. Not expecting him to win vezina back to back but don't fall too off. statistically, i don't think he was that great last year but he did good with a deeper jets team, he's in my top 5 though

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
What, Paul Stastny is a cap dump. How would Jets need to actually give up something of value?

Leafs had to give up a first round pick to get rid of 1 year of Marleau's contract of similar value, and Jets do such a favor for VGK and even give assets up? Marleau scored 37 points the season before Stastny 38.
Is this a parody of bad arguments? Marleau couldn’t score any points for Carolina, they had to pay 3.83m to buy him out or he would refuse to be traded from Toronto. People are underestimating the markets for centers as well.

GreatSaveEssensa

Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba
i meant more of a down season compared to the previous one he had. Not expecting him to win vezina back to back but don't fall too off. statistically, i don't think he was that great last year but he did good with a deeper jets team, he's in my top 5 though
Well by the looks of things your two teams (Flyers and Nucks) have their own young studs in net. Demko was unreal in the playoffs and Carter Hart is my favourite young goalie in the league and really keep my eyes on him. Thanks for the discussion my frined. Its nice to be able to have some civility as a lot of times on this forum it just turns into a pissing match

Reactions: Devonator

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010

Marleau only waived his NTC so that he could get bought out. So basically Carolina bought Toronto's 1st round pick. Stastny will actually play games for Winnipeg. Not really the same situation.

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
Well by the looks of things your two teams (Flyers and Nucks) have their own young studs in net. Demko was unreal in the playoffs and Carter Hart is my favourite young goalie in the league and really keep my eyes on him. Thanks for the discussion my frined. Its nice to be able to have some civility as a lot of times on this forum it just turns into a pissing match
ducks not nucks lol! Either way gibson is a stud too haha. Obvioulsy hart ain't in the top 5 yet but I'm curious what you think of gibson and where he ranks. I know his stats are bad (due to a bad ducks team) but i think he is really good...

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Yikes, this is a bad and misinformed take.

Trouba didn’t want to be here and refused to sign an extension with anyone but the Rangers. Chevy kept him as an own-rental for a couple of playoff runs and then STILL managed to bend the Rangers over in the trade. The Rangers could’ve gotten Trouba for free if they waited a year but instead Chevy got Pionk (who played better than Trouba last year) and Heinola (who projects to be better than Trouba). And he avoided Trouba’s bad contract.

He has shown that he’s willing to go after rentals at the deadline (Stastny, Hayes), so he isn’t that passive.

Some of his trades (Hayes) and signings (Mason) have been bad, but I don’t think he’s “pissed away” a contender.

The Laine stuff is completely fabricated at this point. Much too early to say that’s a reason to call Chevy a poor GM.

And I’m not sure what you mean he falls in love with his players? By signing them all (Hellebuyck, Morrissey, Ehlers, Connor) to team-friendly deals? He’s got most of the core locked up at below-market value rates.

Combine all this with working in an undesirable market and he’s doing a very good job.

Odie Cleghorn

Jun 8, 2020
He consistently underachieves so the idiot Maurice will probably play him 30 minutes a game and get a 45 pointer.

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
Not sure about this one... if Stasny is yhe player he was when he was last time in Winnipeg then it is fantastic! But not sure he will recreate the magic. Still, at least it is just 1 year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad