Eklund Rumor: (WPG/TOR) Nylander for Trouba

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
Should Jets really trade a toppair D-man for a third line rwer, seems like a kinda weak return.

Mar 26, 2010
The Jets don't need another forward. Already have the best forward group in the NHL.

Toronto has the best forward group in the NHL.
Why does Toronto even consider this if Trouba doesnt sign with them.

It is Winnipeg that Trouba does not want to sign with! That has been made very very clear! He would sign in a heartbeat if he had the chance with Toronto.

[mod]

That being said, No way the trade happens. Toronto and Winnipeg are not good trading partners.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: jasonleaffan

Mar 26, 2010
Hall is far better than Nylander and Trouba is better than Larsson. Terrible comparison
Hall is better than Nylander for sure. Trouba is not really better than Larsson, maybe a tad. I would not trade Nylander for either of them.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Toronto has the best forward group in the NHL.

It is Winnipeg that Trouba does not want to sign with! That has been made very very clear! He would sign in a heartbeat if he had the chance with Toronto.

[mod]

That being said, No way the trade happens. Toronto and Winnipeg are not good trading partners.
He wants to play in the US, simple as that. He's not signing anywhere in Canada.

Last edited by a moderator:

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
Hall is better than Nylander for sure. Trouba is not really better than Larsson, maybe a tad. I would not trade Nylander for either of them.
So you're saying you don't watch hockey or are a viewing the values through homer glasses? There is no question Trouba is significantly better than Larsson. Just as any top pairing defenseman is significantly more valuable than a second pairing defenseman.

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
My god, now Eklund is throwing out HF trade proposals as rumors. The Leafs would be stupid to do this as Trouba does not want to play in Canada any longer than he has to. And the Jets don't do this because they don't need another winger, especially not at the expense a defenseman the caliber of Trouba.

Dash86

Jan 22, 2018
The Leafs are deeper at centre for sure but the Jets have two top-tier wingers and a franchise centre. If you look at all the players, the two teams are similar.

Tier 1: Tavares, Matthews, Kadri, Marner, Nylander
Tier 2: Marleau, Brown, Kapanen, Hyman

Tier 1: Scheifele, Wheeler, Laine, Ehlers, Connor
Tier 2: Little, Perreault, Lowry, Roslovic
For sure they are similar and the Jets are definitely one of the most stacked teams at forward. I just feel that the Leafs are deeper. The Leafs have two franchise centres and their third line centre has scored 30 goals in back to back seasons. As for the wing the Leafs also have two top tier wingers. It is close but I would put the Leafs ahead of the Jets in terms of their forwards. Now on the blue line the Jets definitely have a big advantage.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Eklund has to be or is one of the worst insider out there. This trade makes zero sense for the Jets. Total click bait.

As a TML fan I would be all for it provided we can extend Trouba long term but as many have stated the player is unlikely to sign long term anywhere in Canada. Although I think Toronto would have a better shot than most as it’s a WC city and close to his home.

I have said this before and it was floated out there by some media, and trade around Myers makes much more sense.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Nylande ‘can play C’ in the same way Drouin ‘can play C’

Nylander is a winger through and through
Except he's played C at every level of hockey....but ya, other than that...

Edit: This isn't me promoting this deal...just pointing out that Nylander has played a lot of C.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
maybe not but when the leafs added tavares ,thay have added a 20 plus minute forward to a solid group already .
somebody is gonna play a bit less ,and likely one of kapanan or anreas jonnson is going to play more ,
I think wilie nylander if he remains a leaf will sign 5.5 mill or so
im curious to see what happens if hes a holdout ,if dubas can play hardball .
the only one in reality u really have to pay is Mathews and tavaras ,pretty sweet players to build from .
anybody els if tradec would bring back quality in return

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
maybe not but when the leafs added tavares ,thay have added a 20 plus minute forward to a solid group already .
somebody is gonna play a bit less ,and likely one of kapanan or anreas jonnson is going to play more ,
I think wilie nylander if he remains a leaf will sign 5.5 mill or so
im curious to see what happens if hes a holdout ,if dubas can play hardball .
the only one in reality u really have to pay is Mathews and tavaras ,pretty sweet players to build from .
anybody els if tradec would bring back quality in return

Barring a cheap bridge deal that Nylander doesn't want.......no chance Nylander signs long term for 5.5 million.......zero chance.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Toughy... IMO Jets don't need Nylander at all but if they can swap out Trouba for him, that would be a no brainer....

ahhhh I really don't know. Myself I am not a fan of Trouba and would be very reluctant to pull the trigger on this if I were Dubas. BUT, Leafs definately need to address their defense situation and do have a crapload of good forwards

Archangel

Oct 15, 2011
Vancouver
Do we know that last time Eklund was actually right about something? I know that he got credit for breaking a trade that others broke last season, but other than that I think it was Carter/Richards deal back like 7 years ago or something

Reactions: Chr1s97

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Would be wonderful to see Maple Leafs losing Nylander and then Trouba would bolt to Detroit. :P

As a Wings fan and Jets sympathizer, I would absolutely love this move.

Burke and Nonis aren’t running the team anymore. This move wouldn’t happen until and extension is in place.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Do we know that last time Eklund was actually right about something? I know that he got credit for breaking a trade that others broke last season, but other than that I think it was Carter/Richards deal back like 7 years ago or something
Yup...the Philly thing was it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad