Proposal: WPG-PIT

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Please add some context to how you figure the Jets can’t be improved.

So your saying you don’t want to give any examples how or who you would improve on or trade for? Simply asked for some examples.....you seemed very emphatic that you would/could improve.....simply asked how by giving some realistic examples.

Any position in theory on any team could be improved in theory.....but that’s not practical or realistic.

PS: Where or when did I say they couldn’t be improved.....simply asked for your examples

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
So your saying you don’t want to give any examples how or who you would improve on or trade for? Simply asked for some examples.....you seemed very emphatic that you would/could improve.....simply asked how by giving some realistic examples.

Any position in theory on any team could be improved in theory.....but that’s not practical or realistic.

PS: Where or when did I say they couldn’t be improved.....simply asked for your examples
I haven’t gotten any calls back from the GMs I contacted with who is available. I think the defense could easily be improved. I think we are seeing Niku, Schilling and Nogier aren’t ideal plays for a playoff run with their current play. Kulikov apparently is close to coming back but it feels like he’s always close to being on the IR.

To say it’s not practical or realistic to improve a team seems like a silly statement.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I think the Jets will make a depth move this year as opposed to a 'high-end move' akin to last year. Something similar to what WSH did last deadline (Kempny, who provided to be quite useful, for a 3rd).

I don't think think getting another C is an awful idea, but wouldn't want Brassard for a 1st/KV/Samberg. If the Jets are moving the latter pieces it should be a clear top 6 upgrade which i don't think Brassard would provide. Brassard would be on the 3rd scoring line (on paper 4th line) for the Jets. So i don't think that's a great ROI for them given the cost to acquire.

Probably would dabble in a 4c that can play over Roslovic if he struggles at C during the playoffs or to fill in if injuries occur....basically a depth move

If the Jets are moving some of the higher end pieces it's for a top4LHD to be paired with Buff IMO

Reactions: VictoriaJetsFan

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
I haven’t gotten any calls back from the GMs I contacted with who is available. I think the defense could easily be improved. I think we are seeing Niku, Schilling and Nogier aren’t ideal plays for a playoff run with their current play. Kulikov apparently is close to coming back but it feels like he’s always close to being on the IR.

To say it’s not practical or realistic to improve a team seems like a silly statement.

Again your not reading my posts accurately. No point did I say the Jets couldn’t be improved.....all teams can be. I simply asked you for some context to your original generic statement......you refused to answer me the first time. Second time you at least gave example on improving our LHD.....don’t disagree with you.....but who could we get and what would he cost? If you have no idea or examples fine just say that....don’t need to add sarcasm to a legit question.

If your unable to name names....fine. What areas on our team would you want to upgrade and what would you being willing to give up?

Last edited:

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
That is crazy talk. This is as deep as the Jets are going to be for the foreseeable future. I’m not interested in being the Blues. You do what you can to win the Cup. That’s the whole point.
At this point of the year, our odds of winning the Cup stand at 6.4%. Confident?

Last year, we were even deeper than this year. Wanna know what was the probability of us winning the Cup that year, according to Moneypuck's formula and taking the figure after game 82? Oh, and don't forget spending two good assets at a three-month rental?

13.5%. We were the favourites to win, by the way.

f*** going after expensive rentals. Give me a Kempny every day, but I don't want to see us going after the big fish anymore.

Reactions: DRW204

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
At this point of the year, our odds of winning the Cup stand at 6.4%. Confident?

Last year, we were even deeper than this year. Wanna know what was the probability of us winning the Cup that year, according to Moneypuck's formula and taking the figure after game 82? Oh, and don't forget spending two good assets at a three-month rental?

**** going after expensive rentals. Give me a Kempny every day, but I don't want to see us going after the big fish anymore.

Agreed no interest in paying any “big” prices for purely a rental. Sooner have a longer window with multi smaller chances of winning vs blowing our minds out selling the farm for 1-2 chances then rebuild.

Possible hockey trades or trades involving guys with term who offer upgrades I would “possibly” be interested but that a general state of mind of all GM’s.

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
Again your not reading my posts accurately. No point did I say the Jets couldn’t be improved.....all teams can be. I simply asked you for some context to your original generic statement......you refused to answer me the first time. Second time you at least gave example on improving our LHD.....don’t disagree with you.....but who could we get and what would he cost? If you have no idea or examples fine just say that....don’t need to add sarcasm to a legit question.

If your unable to name names....fine. What areas on our team would you want to upgrade and what would you being willing to give up?
Maybe you aren’t reading my posts.

I responded to someone who said they don’t want to do anything. I disagreed because of how the cap is going to effect the team going forward. Then you jump in and want to make something else out of my post.

Then I told you where the team can improve, you acknowledge that and then ask me where I think the team can improve. I don’t know if you are just trolling at this point.

I’d be willing to give fair market value to whatever puts the team over the top. A 1st round and Foley got the Jets an impact player in Stastny last year. Send off Lemiex and a 1st. Get another player of that caliber. Whatever, but improve the team. Once that cap space gets eaten away this off-season the Jets aren’t going to have another opportunity like this for a while.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Maybe you aren’t reading my posts.

I responded to someone who said they don’t want to do anything. I disagreed because of how the cap is going to effect the team going forward. Then you jump in and want to make something else out of my post.

Then I told you where the team can improve, you acknowledge that and then ask me where I think the team can improve. I don’t know if you are just trolling at this point.

I’d be willing to give fair market value to whatever puts the team over the top. A 1st round and Foley got the Jets an impact player in Stastny last year. Send off Lemiex and a 1st. Get another player of that caliber. Whatever, but improve the team. Once that cap space gets eaten away this off-season the Jets aren’t going to have another opportunity like this for a while.

Simply asking you to add context to your original generic statement.....you’ve now added some above. Helps posters to understand your POV and what your willing to do.

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012

**** going after expensive rentals. Give me a Kempny every day, but I don't want to see us going after the big fish anymore.
I think there will be plenty of time for Kempny’s and Morrow’s after the Jets sign Morrissey, Connor and Laine.

I completely understand your point from some perspectives. Overall a lot of teams don’t get much out of there rentals. It’s a short amount of time to fit in with a team and be productive. At the same time I think Chevy has earned a little of my faith. He seems to find guys that fit with the team. He doesn’t seem to just grab some talent. He grabs players that seem to fit in the room and on the ice. Even to your point the cheaper options have panned out like Morrow, Stepniak and Tlusty.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Jets played Lemeiux instead of Petan last night with Pitt scouting the game... Lemeiux for Brassard as the basis for the trade? I wouldn't be willing to go much further than that and would easily pass on the OP.

I don't see why Pittsburgh even considers that unless there's a substantial add (which would have to have more value them Lemieux). Roslovic I could understand (and get why Winnipeg wouldn't be fans of it), but what does Lemeiux do for Pittsburgh at this point? He's not a replacement center and with 1g in 13 games, hasn't been doing a ton to really warrant that sort of move.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
I think there will be plenty of time for Kempny’s and Morrow’s after the Jets sign Morrissey, Connor and Laine.

I completely understand your point from some perspectives. Overall a lot of teams don’t get much out of there rentals. It’s a short amount of time to fit in with a team and be productive. At the same time I think Chevy has earned a little of my faith. He seems to find guys that fit with the team. He doesn’t seem to just grab some talent. He grabs players that seem to fit in the room and on the ice. Even to your point the cheaper options have panned out like Morrow, Stepniak and Tlusty.
When you're acquiring guys, they should all fit the team by default.

My problem with rentals is how little they bring to the table despite their relatively high cost in assets. Unless you hit on a Schultz or a Kempny and manage to keep them, you're basically making a bad trade which gives you a slightly higher likelihood of winning.

Hockey is too random a sport to stack the team for a year or two and pray. The better approach is to try and maintain a good team for a long time to get several 'relatively decent shots' at the Cup, which requires careful asset management.

Reactions: Hunter368

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
Too many futures given up here for a forward we don't need. If there is anyone that interests me from Pittsburgh it would be Dumoulin or Maata....I expect either one would be expensive.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
I do not see a situation where Pittsburgh takes on ANOTHER blueliner without moving at least one, if not two of their own. We're currently at 9 NHL D with the Pettersson trade. Sure Schultz is on LTIR until late Feb, and Riikola and Pettersson can both go to WBS... but we already have a deep and expensive blueline... zero reason to be adding to it unless we're also moving other guys out.

I don't the Jets doing a trade unless there's a LHD like Maatta coming back. I don't think Maatta is having the best of seasons either, but the Jets need an experienced LHD, so perhaps he's being discussed. Have no idea what the Pens want in return?

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Jets played Lemeiux instead of Petan last night with Pitt scouting the game... Lemeiux for Brassard as the basis for the trade? I wouldn't be willing to go much further than that and would easily pass on the OP.

I'd then try to move Kulikov + Petan for Edler in a seperate deal to get rid of the Kuli contract to a team that could use him but I don't want to go off topic.
Ok, from a Jets standpoint, I could see Lemieux & possibly Kullikov being in the deal. Maatta coming back. Not sure what else is needed to make it work.

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
I don't see why Pittsburgh even considers that unless there's a substantial add (which would have to have more value them Lemieux). Roslovic I could understand (and get why Winnipeg wouldn't be fans of it), but what does Lemeiux do for Pittsburgh at this point? He's not a replacement center and with 1g in 13 games, hasn't been doing a ton to really warrant that sort of move.

Totally understandable but given how well Little has played this year, a 2C isn't a need for the Jets at this point. I'd be really upset if we gave up much more for Brassard. Maybe another playoff team will but the Rangers are looking to move Hayes, who is younger and having a better season and the Sens may be looking to move Duchesne. For a deadline rental I'd put Brassard as potentially the third best center available. He doesn't move the needle enough for us to justify a substantial payment. Probably best to look at another team to trade with or hope injuries hit.

Reactions: Riptide

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
has Brassard held his value from last year? 15 points in 31 games isn’t that hot. If I’m the Jets I’m not giving a 1st for a 40 point C.

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
They were apparently willing to do that last year when Brassard was only a 50 point C :dunno:

50 pts > 40pts, and this year <> last year. Would be surprised if the Jets acquired Brassard this season... maybe as a rental at the deadline, but with Roslo playing decent at C now, I'm not sure they would consider this.

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
They were apparently willing to do that last year when Brassard was only a 50 point C :dunno:
Yeah....but now he’s 40 points and a year less on his contract. It’s a small sample size at this point. Maybe he catches fire in the next 20 games. But at this point the Pens do well to get a 1st.

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014

Also they'd have him for 2 seasons instead of 1. There was a higher value for the additional term. We did give up a first for Statsney, but he's a better player and St. Louis retained salary.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
has Brassard held his value from last year? 15 points in 31 games isn’t that hot. If I’m the Jets I’m not giving a 1st for a 40 point C.

Going to have to take his situation into account. 40 points when you're not getting prime offensive chances (#1PP, prime OZ starts, prime offensive wingers, etc) isn't bad at all. The difference between him and your typical 35pt 3c is that Brassard can move into a 2c role and play at a 50+pt pace with good wingers. There's few 3Cs that can do that and not look out of place.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Going to have to take his situation into account. 40 points when you're not getting prime offensive chances (#1PP, prime OZ starts, prime offensive wingers, etc) isn't bad at all. The difference between him and your typical 35pt 3c is that Brassard can move into a 2c role and play at a 50+pt pace with good wingers. There's few 3Cs that can do that and not look out of place.

Fair comment. But here’s the other point is that a Little is centring these two young wingers giving them stability and more importantly covering up for their defensive shortcomings......Brassard cannot do that to the level Little can.......Little is a very good two centre. Brassard is a bit more offensively oriented (at this point in Littles career, albeit not much), but not as good defensively. If we couldn’t find a top 4 LHD to add, I would consider Brassard as centre depth (if cheap enough to trade for) and play him on the 4th line. PMO uses our 3rd line as an elite shut down unit, Brassard wouldn’t fit in that line.

Reactions: Snowman

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany
    Sweden vs Germany
    Wagers: 1