Proposal: WPG-PIT

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
This is only IF the Penguins decide they can’t be competitive this season and hit the reset/semi-tank for the highest pick possible this year (not that they should but I just want to see how this idea plays out). Otherwise it doesn’t work for either side. Please keep that in mind.

To WPG: Brassard+Sheahan+2019 2nd

To PIT: Dmitry Kulikov+Vesalainen OR Dmitry Kulikov+2019 1st**+Samberg

**if WPG is upset in round 1 of the playoffs they keep their 1st, and give the PIT 2nd back

Also remember in this scenario that 2nd is somewhere in the 30s because PIT hit the reset.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Even if PIT were to throw in the towel (and they won't this early in the season), I can't see them dealing both Brassard and Sheahan at the same time. Can't subtract both the 3rd and 4th line centers.

Rumors lately have it that the Pens aren't happy with Brassard and think he's better suited for a trap and counter attack system than the aggressive puck possession system the Pens run. They are very open to moving him but this early in the season it has to be a move that will help them on the ice now, rather than a picks and prospects deal.

If the Pens look out of it at the TDL, that's a different story. They have never missed the playoffs though since 06/07, Malkin's rookie year, and even with their current struggles I still don't believe they will miss this season.

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
Why is Sheahan even in this deal? What does he do for the Jets that they dont already have Lowry, Copp, Roslovic?

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
With the Jets upcoming cap crunch they likely will be keeping young players and none of Pits assets offering here are that valuable at this current time.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Seems like a pretty easy pass for Jets.

Anyways, why is Sheahan there?

Salary had to work. Honestly a pretty useful player for a playoff run too. He was pretty good as our full time 3C last year, had 31 points in 73 games with heavy d-deployment and no PP time. Good faceoff guy as well.

My whole thought process was sell Winnipeg a nice rental piece in Brassard that they were previously interested in, but take back Kulikov’s contract (b/c Jets have a big summer ahead) to sweeten the return for PIT.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
I think we do again. Think we need to to put us over the (possible) edge.
A rental isn't putting anyone over the edge. The playoffs are a damn lottery.

Last year, not a single team had a higher change of winning the Cup than 17%, according to Moneypuck.

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
A rental isn't putting anyone over the edge. The playoffs are a damn lottery.

Last year, not a single team had a higher change of winning the Cup than 17%, according to Moneypuck.

I dont think any team from Central or Atlantic will reach the final this year, they will slaughter eachother to much.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I do not see a situation where Pittsburgh takes on ANOTHER blueliner without moving at least one, if not two of their own. We're currently at 9 NHL D with the Pettersson trade. Sure Schultz is on LTIR until late Feb, and Riikola and Pettersson can both go to WBS... but we already have a deep and expensive blueline... zero reason to be adding to it unless we're also moving other guys out.

McDLT

I'm a style boy for life
Mar 1, 2016
Calgary
So, I do like that the OP included that Kulikov contract in the proposal - that contract has negative value. I think that other Jets fans are underestimating how hard it could be to move that contract in the offseason. If Brassard is playing like his old self at the TDL, I wouldn't be upset if that trade was made (Kulikov + KV for Brassard+Sheahan+2019 2nd). I wouldn't be thrilled, but I understand that now is the time to push, and I definitely don't regard KV as highly as others do.

It's not as outrageous as others are making it out to be.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Winnipeg will be desperate for quality ELC's soon so they are worth gold to them.

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
Jets played Lemeiux instead of Petan last night with Pitt scouting the game... Lemeiux for Brassard as the basis for the trade? I wouldn't be willing to go much further than that and would easily pass on the OP.

I'd then try to move Kulikov + Petan for Edler in a seperate deal to get rid of the Kuli contract to a team that could use him but I don't want to go off topic.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
No interest in spending big at the deadline again.
That is crazy talk. This is as deep as the Jets are going to be for the foreseeable future. I’m not interested in being the Blues. You do what you can to win the Cup. That’s the whole point.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
That is crazy talk. This is as deep as the Jets are going to be for the foreseeable future. I’m not interested in being the Blues. You do what you can to win the Cup. That’s the whole point.

Please add some context to this if you can, give us some examples what you mean you would realistically consider that would help the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad