Confirmed Signing with Link: [WPG] Neal Pionk signs with the Jets (2 years, $3M AAV)

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
But how can he (Trouba) be in the 60th percentile in breakups/60 while simultaneously being in just the 25th percentile in entries allowed per 60? Seems contradictory.
Breakups can happen anywhere on the ice.

Would lead me to believe he's better than average in the defensive zone and possibly the neutral zone, but isn't good at the line itself. That indicates a player that backs up too readily, which is a common problem with how overcoached this game is and how defensemen get benched for doing anything but standing still.

Section32

May 26, 2011
CT
I think it is clear that most Ranger fans like Neil P. personally, and are happy for him and his family.

However, there is also a lot of surprise/shock that he was able to get so much money. Maybe Jet's management do see something in his game that they can work with to make him a better NHLer. What Ranger fan's have seen does not equal 3 million a year. Prove us wrong. We will be more than happy for Neil and the Jets.

Trouba has his issues, but there is clearly a lot of personal hate for the guy, which I understand. Ranger fans think that all the animosity for Jacob has colored Jets fan's opinions of his play. Again, we know he isn't a #1 Dman. But a #6? A fill-in for injuired players? He is made out to be a terrible d-man. He got a lot of $, but he is probably worth the $5 million difference...

Reactions: Kallio

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Breakups can happen anywhere on the ice.

Would lead me to believe he's better than average in the defensive zone and possibly the neutral zone, but isn't good at the line itself. That indicates a player that backs up too readily, which is a common problem with how overcoached this game is and how defensemen get benched for doing anything but standing still.

Is that true? I mean obviously you can break up a play anywhere but because Breakups on that chart are grouped under the 'Entry Defense' portion and those stats seem to be all about transitional play, this leads me to believe it is referring to breaking up plays at the defensive blue line/in the neutral zone but I could be wrong.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Is that true? I mean obviously you can break up a play anywhere but because Breakups on that chart are grouped under the 'Entry Defense' portion and those stats seem to be all about transitional play. This leads me to believe it is referring to breaking up plays at the defensive blue line/in the neutral zone but I could be wrong.
I guess that's just the category where they best fit for the sake of the visual, but the only thing inherently related to the blueline are zone entries.

I do a lecture every semester on how we tend to slightly fudge visual aids because organized and sequential graphs/charts go over better than 100% pertinent information. [I wouldn't call it inaccurate, just slightly misplaced]

Andy6

Court Jetster
Jun 3, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
I think it is clear that most Ranger fans like Neil P. personally, and are happy for him and his family.

However, there is also a lot of surprise/shock that he was able to get so much money. Maybe Jet's management do see something in his game that they can work with to make him a better NHLer. What Ranger fan's have seen does not equal 3 million a year. Prove us wrong. We will be more than happy for Neil and the Jets.

Trouba has his issues, but there is clearly a lot of personal hate for the guy, which I understand. Ranger fans think that all the animosity for Jacob has colored Jets fan's opinions of his play. Again, we know he isn't a #1 Dman. But a #6? A fill-in for injuired players? He is made out to be a terrible d-man. He got a lot of $, but he is probably worth the $5 million difference...

Trouba plays hockey, makes some mistakes and does other things well, in approximately the same ratio as most guys who make a long career out of being a regular defenceman. He’s not a star and he doesn’t come across as a “student of the game” type, but he has a lot of native talent that comes to the surface frequently enough to keep him gainfully employed. He shoots hard but not particularly accurately. His instincts defensively can be a bit off sometimes. He’s just kind of average, which is still to be among the top 100-200 at his job in the whole world. I don’t know what else to say. If you’re not personally paying the $8 million, it’s probably a good deal for you.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
I guess that's just the category where they best fit for the sake of the visual, but the only thing inherently related to the blueline are zone entries.

I do a lecture every semester on how we tend to slightly fudge visual aids because organized and sequential graphs/charts go over better than 100% pertinent information. [I wouldn't call it inaccurate, just slightly misplaced]

Only thing I'll add is defending the blue line starts near your own blue line and how welly you gap up and maintain it, and breaking up a play off the rush is a lot more valuable than forcing a dump in. Both are treated the same in terms of it being a non-possession entry, but one is more valuable than the other. so it would make sense to separate that when evaluating your transition defense.

you could very well be right and the numbers on that chart would make more sense if you are. i'm pretty curious so im gonna ask the guy who makes them if that's the case.

Luminiferous

Oct 11, 2018
Glad to see this contract signed. Just give Laine a max contract in order to ensure the Jets shit future.

Stej

Jul 28, 2006
The Kirk
But how can he (Trouba) be in the 60th percentile in breakups/60 while simultaneously being in just the 25th percentile in entries allowed per 60? Seems contradictory.
In my opinion, Trouba’s foot speed when pivoting to the outside to check a guy going wide is quite bad. That might factor into the latter but not the former.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad