Confirmed Signing with Link: [WPG] Neal Pionk signs with the Jets (2 years, $3M AAV)

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I never want to see the Rangers ever make a deal with Winnipeg again or have to watch a Rangers game ever again.

giphy.gif

Nov 24, 2006
Lots of the usual internet outrage and over reaction I see. This isn’t the Kevin Hayes contract folks.

I do trust the Jets management. Contract term is fine, AAV seems a touch high, but’s let’s see what this looks like 6 months into the season.

Reactions: wpgallday1960

CaptainUgly

Jackie made me look in the mirror for punishment
Apr 22, 2018
Jacob Trouba Threads - Jets fans “f*** Trouba”

Neal Pionk Threads - Rangers fans “f*** Neal Pionk”

This shit cracks me up hahhhhhhahahh

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
Both overpaid by a million in my opinion

Using your opinion (which I disagree with but whatever for arguments sake) Pionk is paid 50% more than his worth, and Trouba is paid 14% more than he is worth.

1M is a small overpay for a 1st pairing guy, and a large overpay for a bottom pairing guy.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Jacob Trouba Threads - Jets fans “**** Trouba”

Neal Pionk Threads - Rangers fans “**** Neal Pionk”

This **** cracks me up hahhhhhhahahh
NYR fans scared they messed up with this Trouba trade, and contract. WPG fans scared some NYR fans might be right about Pionk, and Trouba's value.

In the end, we'll have to wait and see how it plays out. I do like who Jets selected with that pick.

Chalfdiggity3

Feb 4, 2010
NJ
NYR fans scared they messed up with this Trouba trade, and contract. WPG fans scared some NYR fans might be right about Pionk, and Trouba's value.

In the end, we'll have to wait and see how it plays out. I do like who Jets selected with that pick.

How are rangers fans scared? We got a 25yo #2 defenseman signed for the prime of his career at a solid cap hit for the 20th overall and a #6/7 bottom pairing defenseman? I dont know many or even 1 or 2 fans who are not happy about the trade or signing

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
Pionk is probably a 1.75 to 2M player.
I think the Jets feel he is a top 4 Dman with this contract.
He would be good for a 3rd pair role with sheltered minutes.
I don't think he is as terrible as some Rangers fans say, he was put into situations
that required a player with a better skill level and expected to succeed.
The whole team was bad, not just him.

Reactions: The Big M

Andy6

Court Jetster
Jun 3, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
How are rangers fans scared? We got a 25yo #2 defenseman signed for the prime of his career at a solid cap hit for the 20th overall and a #6/7 bottom pairing defenseman? I dont know many or even 1 or 2 fans who are not happy about the trade or signing

Great. I hope Trouba plays a bit better now that he’s somewhere he’s happy to be. What exactly makes him a #2 defenceman I’m not sure, but if he can do consistently what he did occasionally with the Jets, he certainly has the potential to live up to that billing.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
this reminds me of the canucks signing hutton to his last contract for $2.8m. not a good thing to prepay guys for what you hope they will do.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
We made it to the conference final. You don't start blowing up your D without taking another crack at it.

I'm not saying you are by any means out of the conversation. I'm just saying the Jets roster was insanely good and well balanced the past 2 years and they lost to the two Western champions. Getting that same level of balance and skill will be tough to replicate. Still a solid team though, in a couple seasons the past two opportunities may be seen as the ones that got away.

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
Pionk being misused on the Rangers doesnt mean he will be bad on the Jets. Pionk replaces Myers, not Trouba.
Rangers fans saying 3 million is too much while making Trouba the 5th highest paid d man in the league.
Yeah let's compare his contract to contracts signed that doesn't buy out 6 FA years. Or deals signed under a different CBA, Keith's contract is a prime example of this.

Within 2-3 years a lot of D-men will have signed for more than Trouba.

I mean Ryan Johansen makes more than Bergeron.. your logic is so f***ing flawed.

I agree Pionk can be nursed into becoming a #3-4 D with good PP ability, no doubt.

Trouba is at worst a #2 D. 25 years old, just scored 50 points and is a RHD. Those players cost a lot.. they're pretty rare if you haven't noticed?

I f***ing hate when people spew random shit without realizing how the game works. Salaries are going up, do you honestly think Trouba is the only D that's going to get this kind of $ in the coming years?

The best D's will get +$10M/year.

$8M is the new $6M.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Using your opinion (which I disagree with but whatever for arguments sake) Pionk is paid 50% more than his worth, and Trouba is paid 14% more than he is worth.

1M is a small overpay for a 1st pairing guy, and a large overpay for a bottom pairing guy.

I never said they were the same caliber of deal, of course I’d rather have trouba at an extra mil over Poink at an extra mil. Not sure why someone having the opinion that they both got an extra mil made you need to get defensive

Reactions: Steeler23

Black Tank

Dec 12, 2006
a NYer in England
This Rangers fan thinks the Pionk is a decent player and there's a ton of exaggeration going on from my fellow Rangers fans.
Except that he can't play defense. He cost the team multiple opportunities and that's OK when you're out of the POs and rebuilding. Even with that, the problem I had as a fan is that he was painful to watch - it was just bad, unenjoyable hockey and he didn't improve or make any changes to his game.

I would not have wanted him on the blueline for NY this year no matter what, except as a 7 or 8 filling in for injuries. He reminds me of Matt Gilroy without the size or the defensive composure. Just let that sink in for a minute.

But on a personal level, you go Neil! To go undrafted and land a 6mm contract at the end of which he'll only be 26 is amazing for him and his family and I am happy for them.

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
I think he was signed at this number because the Jets were guessing the arbitration result would be higher.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Except that he can't play defense. He cost the team multiple opportunities and that's OK when you're out of the POs and rebuilding. Even with that, the problem I had as a fan is that he was painful to watch - it was just bad, unenjoyable hockey and he didn't improve or make any changes to his game.

I would not have wanted him on the blueline for NY this year no matter what, except as a 7 or 8 filling in for injuries. He reminds me of Matt Gilroy without the size or the defensive composure. Just let that sink in for a minute.

But on a personal level, you go Neil! To go undrafted and land a 6mm contract at the end of which he'll only be 26 is amazing for him and his family and I am happy for them.

Like I said. Exaggeration.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Yeah, that's actually a lot better.

And Trouba sucks at it, but you're basically playing 4v5 with Pionk when it comes to zone entries.

But how can he (Trouba) be in the 60th percentile in breakups/60 while simultaneously being in just the 25th percentile in entries allowed per 60? Seems contradictory.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad