Confirmed Signing with Link: [WPG] Josh Morrissey signs extension with Jets (8 years, $6.25M AAV)

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
Love it. Josh Morrissey is a great hockey player that does all the little things you want your players to do. It won't surprise me if he gets to see significant PP time this year and he goes from being a 30 point defenseman to a 40 point defenseman.

Reactions: hn777

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
This is a real solid contract for the Jets, but it's worth noting that players like Morissey (really good kind of unassuming defenders who don't pile up points on the PP or look very flashy in general) are systemically underrated league-wide. So I don't think you can say they got him really cheap or anything like that. It's about market value. It's just that the market really favors teams here.
Thing is with Myers and Trouba gone, he's going to start putting up numbers on the PP. He should have been ahead of them already, and then he would have cost more. Assuming he does thrive in that role.

Reactions: The Big M and hn777

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Trouba didn't want to be in WPG, and Myers and Chiarot aren't worth spending big bucks on. If a couple of their young D prospects like Niku and Samburg can step up in the next two year then the D won't be all that bad.

Agree that getting more PP TOI will automatically add points...one of the most neglected stats out there, IMO. I could stand out on the PP point and get another 7-8 points per year.

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Under rated summer? He got bent over in the Trouba deal, has failed to sign his two top RFA's, and last half of his defense.
Anyone would have got bent over in the Trouba deal, he had no leverage because Trouba wouldn't negotiate in good faith with anyone except for a select few teams.

Losing Chiarot and Myers was a positive if the only way you keep them is by giving them the salary they got.

I mentioned the RFA thing already, I guess your GM has failed the last 2 summers since Willie held out and now Marner is unsigned as well?

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
Is it fun for a Millionaire to live in Winnipeg... ? honest question here
It really depends on what you like.

In summer Winnipeg has large cottage areas serving a small population, so you won’t find many places that have more/better options for cottage lifestyle or just camping/fishing/hunting. People talk a lot about the cold, but the fact even in winter it’s more friendly to outdoor activity than many other places in Canada. It’s much easier to spend time outside in a sunny dry-cold climate than it is in a cloudy wet-cold climate like southern Ontario. (In cold weather, your body looses heat faster when the humidity is higher. The insulation value of most clothing drops as well so you can’t even "dress for it" as readily wet-cold climates)

Another big plus is the low population density. The biggest Canadian cities jam 2-4 times as many people into roughly the same area. Eg: Toronto 2.7 million people in 240 square miles, Montreal 1.7 million people in 165 square miles, Vancouver 650 thousand people in 44 square miles. Winnipeg by comparison has ~700K people in 180 square mile area. If you extend that into the surrounding area the discrepancy can be even larger. This translates into bigger houses, larger yards, more open space, shorter travel times most of which still matters to millionaires.

If you like an outdoor oriented lifestyle, Winnipeg is a pretty good choice. If you want a big city vibe, then yeah Toronto, Montreal or Vancouver are better choices, but if you are really rich and want that why would you choose any of the above if you could go to New York, LA, London, Paris, Tokyo, etc?

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Love it. Josh Morrissey is a great hockey player that does all the little things you want your players to do. It won't surprise me if he gets to see significant PP time this year and he goes from being a 30 point defenseman to a 40 point defenseman.

He saw a bit last year when Buff was out and was on pace for 50. Now with Myers and Trouba gone he should get PP2 time full time at worst.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Under rated summer? He got bent over in the Trouba deal, has failed to sign his two top RFA's, and last half of his defense.

2 of those 3 D are easily replaceable from within and the Jets come out ahead.
Trouba hurt and his antics cost us a better return.
The RFA's will sign, when they do you can really only point to Trouba as a problem and he actively screwed us over.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
You are in a closing window. You need to replace Trouba is my point and he didn't, and the depth took a hit too.
Trouba was the only big loss, but the Jets don’t need to replace him because they still have another really good RHD. They do need another legitimate top 4 RHD. Maybe Pionk can grow into this, if he can’t maybe they have someone in the system that can. It makes way more sense to explore these options than it does to start spending cap and giving away assets to fill a hole the Jets may not even have.

And now two top 6 forwards may miss camp and the start of the year.

Maybe if the Leafs had 2 top 6 forwards sitting out right now their long term cap situation would look a lot better…

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Still lost half of his defense and failed to sign his big RFA's.

Basically none of the RFA's have signed.
You know that.
If it wasn't for an offer sheet your player would likely still be unsigned too.
Just the way negotiations go.
Everyone has the same play book and not much happens until deadlines kick in.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Yeah that's fair

It's probably more emotionally based on Trouba basically forcing himself out of the Peg. But as a Ranger fan i'm gonna go to bat for the guy on my team if Jet fans bring him up in a Morrissey thread.

Who will play with Trouba?
After the ridiculous Stuart anchor for his first few years Trouba has had mainly good partners to play with.
His point totals were boosted this past year as he was fed PP1 minutes.
But Trouba has always produced well 5 on 5.

If I had to choose between the two I'd take Morrissey because Trouba does have some pretty boneheaded give aways in his own zone. But I really liked both players and it's a shame Trouba couldn't have stayed. He fit perfectly with the young core of our team.

Reactions: hn777

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
Who will play with Trouba?
After the ridiculous Stuart anchor for his first few years Trouba has had mainly good partners to play with.
His point totals were boosted this past year as he was fed PP1 minutes.
But Trouba has always produced well 5 on 5.

If I had to choose between the two I'd take Morrissey because Trouba does have some pretty boneheaded give aways in his own zone. But I really liked both players and it's a shame Trouba couldn't have stayed. He fit perfectly with the young core of our team.

Most likely his boyhood friend, Brady Skjei, to start with. Skjei is an average-ish 2nd-pairing dman.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Or you know. Just wait to announce it?

Optics aren’t very good IMO.

I disagree with that.
Connor has said publicly that he wants a long term deal.
Seeing yet another top player on the team sign for a reasonable amount gives them assurance that the team has a bright future and that players want to be here.

How is that a bad thing?

Reactions: The Big M

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad