Confirmed Signing with Link: [WPG] Hellebuyck sign 6 year deal with Jets ($6.167M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
??.. Just complimenting Jets and how unreal of a deal it is

Not a leaf fan
It's a huge risk man. I think even if someone is a huge Jets fan they can see that as well.

He's had one very good year, one. They committed a lot of money and term for a guy who hasn't shown to be a consistent goalie in the NHL.

Could it be a steal of a contract? Possibly. To say it's "salty" to question the deal though is absolutely ridiculous.

There's a big risk, anyone who knows the game knows that.

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
The fonts are modspeak. You obviously didn't get the joke. I would explain more but then some special individual here would ban my account. Do the math. :rolleyes:

Hutch was clutch for half a season and then he fell off the map. Next thing he was in the AHL and the team didn't trust him after that. I've seen him playing for the Moose and I think he deserves another chance. It will be interesting to see how he does in Florida and whether or not he can grab the backup spot behind Lu.
Hutch hasn't been clutch for 2 years.

It's funny how you'll crap on the idea of signing Mason who had very respectable numbers over the course of his tenure in Philly......and then crap on us for not signing a backup who couldn't play backup.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
giphy.gif

He....he was complimenting us....
Was making reference to the "salty" and "jealous" comment just because people think the deal is questionable.

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
Perreault. Would you rather have Khudobin + cap space (or even Stastny) or Perreault?

Jesus man....you laugh at Helle's one bad year and then suggest we sign a goalie who put up a 0.900, 0.909, and a 0.904 in back to back to back years. Your foundation is cracking.

And you're still ducking the cap % argument.

Reactions: Snowman

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
It's a huge risk man. I think even if someone is a huge Jets fan they can see that as well.

He's had one very good year, one. They committed a lot of money and term for a guy who hasn't shown to be a consistent goalie in the NHL.

Could it be a steal of a contract? Possibly. To say it's "salty" to question the deal though is absolutely ridiculous.

There's a big risk, anyone who knows the game knows that.

Well many of the comments i read thru this thread i found absurd and i sensed pure jealousy. Thats where the salty comment came from.

But anyways, came here to compliment the great signing and comment how lucky Jets fans are but ill move on from this

The Ugly Truth

May 23, 2018
A two year bridge takes him to UFA status as he's 25 and two years away from being a UFA.

A one year bridge creates a scenario where he could elect arbitration, take the 1 year, and go UFA after that. Plus, if he's any good, he costs more after that one year anyway.

He's just come off a bridge deal.

Last year they should've given him a two-year bridge deal. I think they thought Mason would be the clear starter and did not expect Hellebuyck to break out the way that he did. Masons' failure and Hellebuyck's success left the Jets in no mans land, resulting in this risky contract.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
IMO goalies usually peak later like 30-35 but I agree it's a nice deal.

My issue is how will they afford to give raises to Laine (Likely 10M he won't make much less than Matthews), Connor (Likely gets the Marner deal whatever he gets), Trouba, Morrissey Wheeler, Myers, etc? That is a ton of talent and depth right there that is likely halfed within the next two years unless I am missing something.
Many have worked out the specifics. It's tight but doable. Jets will likely let Myers go if Trouba signs, and trade Perreault, since they have good forward depth in prospects.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
Interesting contract. He’s worth 6 mill based on his season last year, but the 6 year term is a little risky. You just never know with goalies coming off one good year, but I think Helleybuck is legit and this deal gets his prime years.

Pongs21

It's not delivery, it's Sports Desk
Jul 18, 2011
Halifax
Raanta is currently playing as an effective starter and was obtained for peanuts. I assumed your question was asking about starting goaltenders that were traded while making less than $5 million/year.

If your question is instead how many starting goaltenders have been traded recently while making exactly $5 million/year the query is ridiculous. 31 teams in the league = 31 starting positions. How many of those starters do you think are making exactly $5 million and how many of those players have been traded? The number would be vanishingly small.
Wasnt going to pile on, but it's too hard to pass this up. How many of those put up the numbers Helly did? and how were Vezna nommanies or the runner up? You claim that it means nothing, but it actually means he was one of the top goalies. How many of the top goalies in the league get paid 5 or less, on very recent contracts? Taking in the percentage of the cap when signed

The Ugly Truth

May 23, 2018
You seem to be ducking the point about cap % and the contract compared to other goalies.

The guy who posted the table with goalies and their save percentages + relative cap hits is one of the few people that attempted to rebut my points with any intelligence in this thread.

Relative cap hits is a good way of comparing perceived "value" of players signed in different years, but the bottom line is that the only thing that matters today is the dollar value of a contract against the current cap.

If the cap rises and Hellebuyck continues to play well then yes, obviously his current contract will be considered a high value one for the Jets in future years. But if he flames out - as so many goaltenders have done before - his contract could easily end up limiting their ability to compete for the next five years despite having a very strong core group.

I wonder what Jets fans will say if they have to say goodbye to Wheeler or Byfuglien because that's the only way the team can afford to keep Laine and pay a Hellebuyck that has flamed out. Remember year after year of missing the playoffs because of Pavelec?

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB

The guy who posted the table with goalies and their save percentages + relative cap hits is one of the few people that attempted to rebut my points with any intelligence in this thread.

Relative cap hits is a good way of comparing perceived "value" of players signed in different years, but the bottom line is that the only thing that matters today is the dollar value of a contract against the current cap.

If the cap rises and Hellebuyck continues to play well then yes, obviously his current contract will be considered a high value one for the Jets in future years. But if he flames out - as so many goaltenders have done before - his contract could easily end up limiting their ability to compete for the next five years despite having a very strong core group.

I wonder what Jets fans will say if they have to say goodbye to Wheeler or Byfuglien because that's the only way the team can afford to keep Laine and pay a Hellebuyck that has flamed out. Remember year after year of missing the playoffs because of Pavelec?

If Hellebuyck plays good then it's a good contract but if he plays bad then it's a bad contract......we are breaking new ground here!!!

Also you seem to be stuck on the notion that Pavelec was the only reason we missed the playoffs those years.

Again, the Pavelec years got us the players that we have today. I never thought I would have to spell out what a rebuild is lol.

The Ugly Truth

May 23, 2018
So???
Contracts go up with rising cap...
This surprising to you ?

Keep moving the goalposts.

A poster obnoxiously claims that Hellebuyck is making more than Holtby. I post proof that that's a lie and you respond that I shouldn't be surprised that Hellebuyck is making more because salaries are going up? Seriously. :rolleyes:

The Ugly Truth

May 23, 2018
If Hellebuyck plays good then it's a good contract but if he plays bad then it's a bad contract......we are breaking new ground here!!!

Also you seem to be stuck on the notion that Pavelec was the only reason we missed the playoffs those years.

Again, the Pavelec years got us the players that we have today. I never thought I would have to spell out what a rebuild is lol.

:rolleyes:

Trying to be nice to you, but you're not making this any easier.

With a half decent goaltender the Jets would have been able to make the playoffs much more often than they did it with Pavelec. He was the weakest link.

So based on your... interesting... "logic", the Jets should be grateful for having Pavelec because his poor play resulted in lower finishes in the standings and thus higher draft picks? Wow. I can see it's pointless trying to explain this to you.

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
:rolleyes:

Trying to be nice to you, but you're not making this any easier.

With a half decent goaltender the Jets would have been able to make the playoffs much more often than they did it with Pavelec. He was the weakest link.

So based on your... interesting... "logic", the Jets should be grateful for having Pavelec because his poor play resulted in lower finishes in the standings and thus higher draft picks? Wow. I can see it's pointless trying to explain this to you.

By all means, be as brutal as necessary because you're expanding such a simple concept and trying to act profound about it.

Goalie play good = good contract
Goalie play bad = bad contract

And the whole point about Pavelec is that the whole team was bad because we were rebuilding. We had some high value assets but not nearly enough to be fully competitive. Pavs is the kind of goalie you want when you're rebuilding. It may sound bad but it's true. You want to see what happens when you have a goalie winning you games when you suck, watch the Canadiens this year.

The Ugly Truth

May 23, 2018
By all means, be as brutal as necessary because you're expanding such a simple concept and trying to act profound about it.

I could be brutal, but then I can guarantee that someone here would complain about it. Some people can't handle the truth. The Ugly Truth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad