Confirmed Signing with Link: [WPG] Adam Lowry signs extension (3 year, $2.917M AAV)

kittiecarlyle

Nov 1, 2016
Good contract although I'd have liked to sign him longer.
That's 2 of the 3 big 1s with arbitration rights signed before their dates. Now Chevy just needs to sign Trouba before his. Tanev & Dano are minor pieces so let the arbitrator decide if they even merit their qualifier.
& please sign Morrissey long term so we can count on him being in the fold. The sooner the better as he'll only improve.

There's about $18 million left now with about 4 earmarked for bonuses. Chevy & his team of #s crunchers will have to be creative.
Cap will go up substantially, a bridge for Morrissey makes sense in many ways especially if the Jets plan to add a 2C that has a substantial contract. We know the Jets want and believe a strong 2C is needed to win the Cup.

kittiecarlyle

Nov 1, 2016
Isn't this kind of steep? Not saying he's not worth it, but can the Jets afford him? SHouldn't they be trading these kind of players while keeping the core like how the Hawks got rid of Shaw when the time came for a raise.
Under 3 million for 3 years is worth it for the player he is. Hawks have like 30 million for 3 players, Jets don't.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I would've thought $2.5 AAV would've been better, but I think this will do. I think we should've done four years to expose him in the next expansion draft at that price.

I personally believe since the Jets will be a stacked team that we're going to have to trade Lowry, prospect(s) and draft picks for Seattle to take Bryan Little and his contract.

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
Isn't this kind of steep? Not saying he's not worth it, but can the Jets afford him? SHouldn't they be trading these kind of players while keeping the core like how the Hawks got rid of Shaw when the time came for a raise.

He is an underrated part of the core group. There’s nobody else in the organization that brings what he brings to the table. No need to trade him, others will go long before Lowry in a cap crunch.

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
Was hoping his AAV would be around 2.5m but at lease Chevy kept it under 3m. If he can stay healthy should end up being great value for the Jets.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Lowry is most often used in a shutdown role against the other team's top lines. At home Maurice usually hard matches Lowry to free up Scheifele's line for offense.

204hockey

#whiteout
Sep 29, 2017
Lowry is our best shut down c and plays against the other teams best at home. I'd much rather sign him and move pieces like perrault who are aging and smaller altho good at their role

JuJu Mobb

Dec 9, 2009
Does he have some untapped offensive potential or he's pretty much 12-15 goals/30pts guy?

Flyerfan52

May 3, 2012
Winnipeg
I guess Lowry is the kind of player you actually have to watch in action to appreciate. It seems only Jets fans (who see him more than a few times a year) see the contract as a good 1.
If he was on their team others would agree.

Georgetown Al

I’m back...
Aug 8, 2017
This was posted on the Jets Lowry thread:

Originally Posted by Jimby,

Of Centres who played at least 300 minutes last year. (all stats 5 on 5) Lowry was:

#1 CF% - Bergeron was second
#1 fewest giveaways
#1 fewest shots against
Top 10 face of percentage
Top 10 Hits/60
Top 30 P/60

Nice :nod:

Flyerfan52

May 3, 2012
Winnipeg
Does he have some untapped offensive potential or he's pretty much 12-15 goals/30pts guy?
88 points in 72 games his last year in Swift Current so there is the upside.
But for now he's valuable shutting down other teams gunners like Couturier did for his 1st few years.
He'll never win the Lady Byng but as the media become more aware of hockey outside the GTA he should start garnering Selke votes.

SonOfSoren

Apr 8, 2018
Winnipeg

Of Centres who played at least 300 minutes last year. (all stats 5 on 5) Lowry was:

#1 fewest giveaways
#1 fewest shots against
Top 10 Hits/60
Top 30 P/60

In the playoffs I remember hearing how Minnesota and Nashville top lines weren't producing enough.... They were up against an amazing checking line led by Lowry that had surpressed shots by controlling the puck. Not something you see in simple stats but extremely valuable.

kittiecarlyle

Nov 1, 2016
He had 8 goals and 21 points in 45 games last year amid a couple pretty significant injuries. This is after 15 goals and 29 points the year before in a full season, so had he been healthy he could have been around 40 points.

Smart player, smart overall, really good at puck possession in the offensive zone. Goes to the net but doesn't have good hands in tight or a really plus shot. If he slots in on the 4th line points won't be abundant but he can produce enough that paired with his positives make him a valuable part of the winning team puzzle.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg

Maybe when it's time for his next contract. Lowry is a tough matchups guy that wins.

Armia was the guy they moved that fits what you're talking about.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg

#1 fewest giveaways
#1 fewest shots against
Top 10 Hits/60
Top 30 P/60

Damn what a year he had

Reactions: DominikBokkFan

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Damn what a year he had
This begs the question: is that kind of success repeatable?

I don't think he is a 58% Corsi center who shuts down anyone he wants while putting up decent offense himself, but at the same time, I haven't seen anything in his game that I would consider as an anomaly.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Lowry is a 6'5" beast that scored 45 goals and won the WHL player of the year one season. It's not like he just came out of nowhere.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad