Wow, The Toskala Trade To Toronto Turned Out Great For San Jose!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
I have to disagree. Because thats assuming they end up trading up to 9th, instead of keeping 13 and taking Eller. It would have been nice to pick Couture, but it's not like picking him was certain to happen. Essentially, because of the trade between SJ and St. Louis, we really don't know who we would have picked had Toronto not made that waste of a trade.

It's pretty safe to say whoever they pickjed would have turned out better than Toskala.

hockeyfanz*

Fact of the matter is that you need to keep your first round pics but very few people seem to realize that. Your draft pics is your easiest way to add young talent to your system and maintain continuity within your salary cap.

Burke is a big fat donut eating piece of ****!!

I dont think it is very few who realize that DaveLeaf...I think that most knowledgeable hockey analysts/fans would agree...There are those in the vocal minority who like to cite hapless poor southern market teams like Atlanta and Florida for reasons to believe that the draft is a crap shoot and there is more than one way to skin a cat.....don't even bother using logic here Dave because logic does not sit well with many in Leaf Land...

I share your sentiments about the great Burkie...

Bullsmith

May 21, 2007
IIRC, it really was Toskala for Couture, because SJ packaged the picks JFJ paid them to move up and nab Couture. Not saying the Leafs would've done the same but from SJ's POV, they pretty much traded Toskala for Couture straight up. JFJ and goalies, bad combination.

Leaf Army

Jun 9, 2003
Leaf Nation
Visit site
Oh look... spilled milk.

I wasn't on the boards back then, but there wasn't really anyone around Toronto displeased with the trade at the time considering we all ranked Toskala as a legit #1 at the time.

Nope, I said Toskala was garbage from the second we got him. Everyone argued with me when I said he'd be no better than Raycroft.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
We've even given up Cammalleri to LA in the draft, I think that was the 2nd round though. But still... this franchise is cursed.

NigelTufnel

Dec 3, 2010
Ottawa
Really the only good thing we got out of that trade was seeing Bell destroy Alfie

But yeah, it's yet another trade that is coming back to haunt us...Couture (if we had also traded up to get him) would look really good on the leafs right now

Kalhua

Jul 30, 2005
Ontario
We've even given up Cammalleri to LA in the draft, I think that was the 2nd round though. But still... this franchise is cursed.

You realize every team could play this game.

Its dumb to keep doing this hindsight game but not surprised

KLM-Line

May 8, 2007
Munich
You realize every team could play this game.

Its dumb to keep doing this hindsight game but not surprised

While hindsight can be a cheap game not every review falls into that category. The Leafs are in a special place within this league when it comes to trading 1st round picks. You just have to watch the numbers of comments which refered to the draft as a pure crap shot (particularly when tank nation was active).

I remember that I secretly hoped JFJ would make a trade to get Gagner while settling for Couture or Eller as more realistic targets. Toskala has been considered as an upgrade to the Razor but not a bonafide starter. There were enough voices moaning about the means (1st rounder again) to fetch Toskala.

Standardly

Apr 7, 2008

not really. Cammalleri wasn't a big deal when he was drafted. The hockey world knew about Couture at the time he was drafted.

This isn't crying over spilled milk. Keep your 1st round draft picks - plain and simple. The only one that hasn't been impressive that was drafted in the leafs slot is Jiri Tlusty. Rask, Kadri, Schenn, Steen, Couture, Seguin all look pretty good.

Standardly

Apr 7, 2008
now that I think of it, imagine a leaf team with: Steen, Seguin, Kadri, Couture, Schenn and Rask. That's a pretty good team going forward. Damn.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
It's o.k, we would of likely drafted a bust anyway.

There is some truth to that all right. .

In 2006 Director of Scouting Barry Trapp wanted to draft Chris Stewart with Leafs pick at #13 overall, but his contract was expiring..

JFJ didn't like the suggestion, let Barry Trapp go and hired Dave Morrison to replace him a month before the draft.. JFJ and Morrison went on to draft Jiri Tlusty.

Chris Stewart had 28 goals 36 assists and 64 points in 77 games last season, and had (before getting injured in a fight), 11-14-25 points in 23 games this year.. He is now one of the best young power forwards in the game..

Can you imagine if Leafs had Chris Stewart and Logan Couture as two of their young players today taken from the 2006 and 2007 drafts alone??..

mooseOAK*

He plays with Pavelski and Clowe, not exactly all-stars.
Two very good forwards, that's for sure, and with the benefit of playing behind Thornton and his linemates.

Both developed by Ron Wilson and his staff, BTW.

Standardly

Apr 7, 2008
Two very good forwards, that's for sure, and with the benefit of playing behind Thornton and his linemates.

Both developed by Ron Wilson and his staff, BTW.

Clowe is a 50 point player. He's almost at a point a game now. He started off very slow. He's been playing with Couture lately and is racking up the points now. Pavelski has slowed down. It's all about Couture in San Jose and he'll only get better.

mooseOAK*

Clowe is a 50 point player. He's almost at a point a game now. He started off very slow. He's been playing with Couture lately and is racking up the points now. Pavelski has slowed down. It's all about Couture in San Jose and he'll only get better.

Is that the opinion of the Sharks' team and their fans that "It's all about Couture" or is this a form of trolling?

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I don't understand why JFJ had to give up a first rounder. When was the last time a goalie went for a first rounder? Let alone a goalie who has not established himself as a #1.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Between the Raycroft and Toskala trades, I think it's safe to assume JFJ will never work as a GM again.

As for the pick, let's not assume that the Leafs would have drafted a real impact star player in the first round. That's a fairly large assumption when you look at the miserable draft history of this franchise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad