Wow, The Toskala Trade To Toronto Turned Out Great For San Jose!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Standardly

Apr 7, 2008
The major piece San Jose got was the Leafs 1st round draft pick (this is what the leafs do, they trade draft picks). That pick was 13th overall. San Jose tried to aggressively move up and made a small deal to get St.Louis' pick at 9th overall even though their guy would have probably been there at 13.

Anyhow, the player San Jose drafted (not the leafs), is LOGAN COUTURE!!!! This guy is ripping it up in San Jose. I think, and many agree, he is their best player this year in his rookie year. A very good 2 way player. It's going to be scary to see how good this guy turns out.

Funny thing, that year I wanted the leafs to draft Couture...that was until that trade was announced.

Couture has 14 goals already (more than Ovechkin) and he's on a tear right now!

If only........

Space Coyote

Oct 29, 2010
this franchise is just cursed in every possible way:
no luck
no talent
no heart
trown draft picks
NO DRAFT PICKS
bad trades
a coach without a system,
an egoist gm wih a big mouth
no future (weakest farm team)

i think we'll make the playoffs in 2020s lol

seriously its really being tough a leafs fan

LEAFHOPE

Sep 28, 2010
I wanted to draft him to, kid will be a great two way center and is proving it now with his first full time job. I know its easy to say I still just dont get why every team but the leafs decides to hold onto to their first, cause smart Gms know thats were the talent is. Think about what we have given up in 1st roud picks for a while

2002- alex steen - coming off a 24 goal season great two way, later traded for stemps, which then turned out to be 4 and 7 round picks

2005- Rask - will be a starting goalie for a while

2007- 1st rounder for toskola, who knows if we pick coutoure but still theirs a chance.

2008 - schenn

2009 - kadri

2010 - seguin

2011- ? top 10

now theirs a core

Skeptix

Jun 5, 2010
I wanted to draft him to, kid will be a great two way center and is proving it now with his first full time job. I know its easy to say I still just dont get why every team but the leafs decides to hold onto to their first, cause smart Gms know thats were the talent is. Think about what we have given up in 1st roud picks for a while

2002- alex steen - coming off a 24 goal season great two way, later traded for stemps, which then turned out to be 4 and 7 round picks

2005- Rask - will be a starting goalie for a while

2007- 1st rounder for toskola, who knows if we pick coutoure but still theirs a chance.

2008 - schenn

2009 - kadri

2010 - seguin

2011- ? top 10

now theirs a core

That literally makes me tear... haha what a future.

Standardly

Apr 7, 2008
The Leafs have a bright future. Highlighting the best of the young guns is mikhail grabovski

Grabo is 25ish and has a few seasons under his belt. Couture is in his first season, in his early 20's, and is getting better. By next season, the whole league will be watchful of this player on San Jose. Couture is a gem!

He should have been a leaf.

anderson3133

Apr 14, 2010
Kitchener
Grabo is 25ish and has a few seasons under his belt. Couture is in his first season, in his early 20's, and is getting better. By next season, the whole league will be watchful of this player on San Jose. Couture is a gem!

Didn't they say this about Setoguchi as well? :sarcasm:

tp71

Enjoy every sandwich
Feb 10, 2009
London
Actually, before the trade was made, my friend who's family is Danish was really hoping the Leafs would draft Eller at 13th as thats where it looked he would fall. And what do you know...the pick the leafs had ended up being Lars Eller. I still think he's gonna come back to haunt the Leafs in a bad way.

tp71

Enjoy every sandwich
Feb 10, 2009
London

I have to disagree. Because thats assuming they end up trading up to 9th, instead of keeping 13 and taking Eller. It would have been nice to pick Couture, but it's not like picking him was certain to happen. Essentially, because of the trade between SJ and St. Louis, we really don't know who we would have picked had Toronto not made that waste of a trade.

anderson3133

Apr 14, 2010
Kitchener
I have to disagree. Because thats assuming they end up trading up to 9th, instead of keeping 13 and taking Eller. It would have been nice to pick Couture, but it's not like picking him was certain to happen. Essentially, because of the trade between SJ and St. Louis, we really don't know who we would have picked had Toronto not made that waste of a trade.

Haven't you played this game before... everyone knows that's not how hindsight works :sarcasm:

Standardly

Apr 7, 2008
Didn't they say this about Setoguchi as well? :sarcasm:

setoguchi played with thornton, couture has been recently bumped to the 2nd line. Ryan Clowe's numbers are inflated because of him. Setoguchi is playing the other wing. It's Couture that has sparked that line.

Standardly

Apr 7, 2008

same as me, I wanted Couture or Eller...before the trade was made :cry:

SeenSchenn2

Itchin' For Mitch
Jun 15, 2010
Thornhill, ON
Oh look... spilled milk.

I wasn't on the boards back then, but there wasn't really anyone around Toronto displeased with the trade at the time considering we all ranked Toskala as a legit #1 at the time.

ConnorTO

Jul 20, 2010
Toronto
either way if Toronto drafted Logan, he wouldn't be that great

his skill would be -25% cause hes not playing on an all star dany heatly team

jimmycarter

Jun 12, 2010
How is Jiri Tlusty doing?

Trade Jiri Tlusty because his tongue was in another dudes mouth....and then Burkie finds out his kid is gay (nothing wrong with that), its just ironing is all.

Frankie

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I wasn't on the boards back then, but there wasn't really anyone around Toronto displeased with the trade at the time considering we all ranked Toskala as a legit #1 at the time.
there were many people very displeased with the trade at the time. sure, plenty of people loved it, but those people will defend anything the leafs do. there were lots of people who knew this was a bad deal at the time.

but what difference does that make? lets assume 100% of leafs fans loved it at the time. does that make it any less disastrous?

Kalhua

Jul 30, 2005
Ontario

Well its fun to dream and live in lala land

daveleaf

#FIREKEEFE #MIGHTBETIMETOFIRESHANNYTOO
Mar 23, 2010
Canada
Fact of the matter is that you need to keep your first round pics but very few people seem to realize that. Your draft pics is your easiest way to add young talent to your system and maintain continuity within your salary cap.

Burke is a big fat donut eating piece of ****!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad