Wow, The Toskala Trade To Toronto Turned Out Great For San Jose!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sokil

Ukraine Specialitsky
Apr 29, 2010
Toronto
supermensa.org
Did a bit of research, and San Jose actually traded the pick we gave them 13th overall AND the 2nd round pick we gave them (also in the Toskala deal) to move up 4th spots to get Couture.

So...whether or not we would have made the same deal is another story, but the assets moved to get him were all owned by us and can't argue that it was do-able.

Actually, you're right. I concede.

The 1st and 2nd we gave up was paired with a 4th to move up to 9th and get him. The assets we gave up for Vesa/Bell were the same cost as Couture.

For some reason I thought SJ packaged their 1st with our 1st we gave up to move up.

You guys are right, Couture counts in these theoretical lists.

Standardly

Apr 7, 2008
San Jose moved up a measley 4 spots to take their guy that year (Couture). Chances are pretty good that he would have still been available but they didn't want to take chances.

Who is it that the leafs lost out on in the toskala deal, no one? Take your pick Couture or Eller. San Jose got Couture as a result of moving Toskala - that's for sure.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Well i can't be more pleased that MLSE is reaping what they have sown , they are the only constant throughout this all. Their "win now" strategy , their "unadulterated greed"

It's time for leafs nation to grow up and grow a pair. It's time to be more like Habs fans and show their displeasure with this embarrassing travesty.

I believe in tough love , so with that being said , the best thing that could realistically happen this year is for us to finish in last place overall.

If a point is to be made , lets make it with an exclamation point.

They need to learn the value of draft picks , patience and humility.

Johny Drama

Jun 7, 2009
Well i can't be more pleased that MLSE is reaping what they have sown , they are the only constant throughout this all. Their "win now" strategy , their "unadulterated greed"

It's time for leafs nation to grow up and grow a pair. It's time to be more like Habs fans and show their displeasure with this embarrassing travesty.

I believe in tough love , so with that being said , the best thing that could realistically happen this year is for us to finish in last place overall.

If a point is to be made , lets make it with an exclamation point.

They need to learn the value of draft picks , patience and humility.

Maybe a demonstration outside the ACC at Maple Leafs Square is in order. how else can the average fan show their displeasure?
Happens in other countries with the soccer.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Maybe a demonstration outside the ACC at Maple Leafs Square is in order. how else can the average fan show their displeasure?
Happens in other countries with the soccer.

TVs to black , empty seats , those that show up boo or toss their knockoff jerseys onto the ice.

Call sports talk radio.

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
It's time for leafs nation to grow up and grow a pair.

Yes, they need a demonstration on how badly you guys want them to LOSE FOR DRAFT PICKS.

'Cause apparently, it'd be far better if they did intentionally what they're doing now accidentally. Oh, yeah, having a 1st rounder might be nice too, so we can make picks like Brandon Convery and Jeff Ware.

Standardly

Apr 7, 2008
Yes, they need a demonstration on how badly you guys want them to LOSE FOR DRAFT PICKS.

'Cause apparently, it'd be far better if they did intentionally what they're doing now accidentally. Oh, yeah, having a 1st rounder might be nice too, so we can make picks like Brandon Convery and Jeff Ware.

Schenn and Kadri don't look too bad. Neither does Seguin. Teams have scouts out there constantly now which I don't think was the case then. Also, Jeff Ware wasn't exactly a high pick. When you're picking inside the top 5, there's a pretty good chance you'll end up with an NHL'er and a pretty good chance he'll be a good one.

Are you saying you don't think Seguin or Hall or Stamkos will do anything significant in this league? The leafs should be drafting that high.

iopioppoi

Jun 11, 2010
I love threads complaining about the past, I also love crying over spilt milk.

But seriously, we shouldn't let things like this bother us.

Groucho Marx*

Not sure if this has been mentioned as I didint go through all the pages.

Mark Bell was apart of the Toskola trade. If we dont make that trade, Bell never kills Alfredson. I think that hit alone was worth Logan Couture:)

catgoldfish

Nov 15, 2004
British Columbia
Every franchise makes horrible decisions at one point in time. Not everyone can win a trade guys...

True but we seem to do it more often than any other team in the league. Or more like any other sport.......You think the Leafs would learn their lesson..:shakehead.

STOP TRADING DRAFT PICKS........It's simple. Just stop. STOP
S
T
O
P
..........you think they'll listen......probably not. STOP.

ConnorTO

Jul 20, 2010
Toronto
One thing that is bright about our future is we have a lot of young players that burke is gonna build the team around, like kessel kadri schenn bozak kuli gunnar aulie phaneuf, this team just needs some more key pieces, (maybe coming from the draft next year?), then I think we will be ready to compete for a while
ah most positive sense thats been made on this forum

Every franchise makes horrible decisions at one point in time. Not everyone can win a trade guys...
true, there is no "winner", both teams win because they get what they want and trade away what they don't want

jimstam

Jan 6, 2008
Actually, before the trade was made, my friend who's family is Danish was really hoping the Leafs would draft Eller at 13th as thats where it looked he would fall. And what do you know...the pick the leafs had ended up being Lars Eller. I still think he's gonna come back to haunt the Leafs in a bad way.

Thank you. Also Blues for trading him for Halak.

jimstam

Jan 6, 2008
I wanted to draft him to, kid will be a great two way center and is proving it now with his first full time job. I know its easy to say I still just dont get why every team but the leafs decides to hold onto to their first, cause smart Gms know thats were the talent is. Think about what we have given up in 1st roud picks for a while

2002- alex steen - coming off a 24 goal season great two way, later traded for stemps, which then turned out to be 4 and 7 round picks

2005- Rask - will be a starting goalie for a while

2007- 1st rounder for toskola, who knows if we pick coutoure but still theirs a chance.

2008 - schenn

2009 - kadri

2010 - seguin

2011- ? top 10

now theirs a core

& the Habs took McDonagh, Pacioretty & PK Subban in 2007.
Tosksla retired & Giguere nearing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad