Wouldn't it be smarter to get a good LW for...

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Or some people don't understand how we can talk about trading a potential star center away while keeping DD as a #1

If centers are so valuable, why not trade DD, a proven center, for a winger?

This is the square-circle people have trouble with: DD is good enough to be our #1C to the extent that we can trade away Galchenyuk...BUT, he's not good enough to fetch anything of value himself if traded. :huh:

The reasoning is that as a team, the habs are ready to compete right now with a few minor changes and that Galchenyuk is not ready to assume a role as a star center right now, so we would trade him for a winger who can assume a more important role more easily since the position of winger is easier to play.

I'm not saying I agree with that, but it's not as crazy as people are trying to make it look.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
The reasoning is that as a team, the habs are ready to compete right now with a few minor changes and that Galchenyuk is not ready to assume a role as a star center right now, so we would trade him for a winger who can assume a more important role more easily since the position of winger is easier to play.

I'm not saying I agree with that, but it's not as crazy as people are trying to make it look.

...no, the majority is right here, it's batcrap crazy to trade Galchenyuk right now...

Winter Eclipse

Nov 28, 2013
New York, NY

So the plan hinges on trading away a player who isn't ready to assume a star role to a team that will trade us an established star winger in the hope that Galchenyuk will indeed develop into a star center? I see what you're saying, but I'd be very interested to hear some actual teams/names being thrown out.

Also, not sure that dumping Galchenyuk and adding a 1st line LW'er gets us past NY and then LA.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
So the plan hinges on trading away a player who isn't ready to assume a star role to a team that will trade us an established star winger in the hope that Galchenyuk will indeed develop into a star center? I see what you're saying, but I'd be very interested to hear some actual teams/names being thrown out.

Also, not sure that dumping Galchenyuk and adding a 1st line LW'er gets us past NY and then LA.

Maybe past NY, but I still think they get creamed by LA.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Galchenyuk?

We have Eller and DD locked up for at least 3 years... Plekanec for 2 years... it is likely that non of the 3 will lose their spots at center, and by keeping Galchenyuk at an unnatural position where he doesn't even produce a lot of goals/points is not being optimal of our player resources... especially for a couple of years (we're also most likely to extend plekanec)

I think it is total crap that Galchenyuk can't play LW. Guy Lafleur was a C in Junior but a RW in the NHL and it didn't stop him from piling up points.

Jacques Lemaire played over five years as a LW before getting his chance at C.

Galchenyuk needs PP time and more minutes. It matters not a whit if he plays LW. Fact is, if you can't win faceoffs and are not the best defensively, you should not get lots of minutes at C. But who cares? You just produce on the wing!

angry pirate

Feb 9, 2009

I'll throw some names our for the fun of it. Not saying they are 1-1's and I won't speculate on which sides may need to add etc.

Skinner
Nyquist
E.Kane
Huberdeau

Edit: again, I'm not advocating this. Just think it's at least worth discussing.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004

Well, that's what I got out of the premise of the thread. I can't really think of an actual example that makes sense though. Trade proposals aren't really my thing. It might be a theory that has no actual worthwhile application in context of the current market.

I think we weren't that far off against NYR. That 4th game loss in OT really hurt us. Galchenyuk hit a post in the 3rd period of that game. If he had put it in then it's 2-2 going back to Mtl and who knows ? ;)

But yeah, probably wouldn't have been enough to beat LA no matter who that winger is.

...no, the majority is right here, it's batcrap crazy to trade Galchenyuk right now...

No matter the return ? There are no context where trading Galchenyuk can be a good move ? Seems a bit much to me.

Unless your point is that Galchenyuk will never have lower trade value than he does now ? But then again, it's still all about the return.

That Habs Fan

Nov 29, 2008
Toronto
Tokarski looks pretty good and we have Fucale in the pipe, we should probably trade Price for someone like Lupul or VanReimsdyk.

Gotta strike while the iron is hot.

Winter Eclipse

Nov 28, 2013
New York, NY
Maybe past NY, but I still think they get creamed by LA.

Yeah, best case scenario this is what I see, too.

Edit: again, I'm not advocating this. Just think it's at least worth discussing.

:laugh: Yeah, I hear you, man.

I'll throw some names our for the fun of it. Not saying they are 1-1's and I won't speculate on which sides may need to add etc.

Skinner
Nyquist
E.Kane
Huberdeau

Nyquist is tempting I suppose, the rest I just don't see giving us that last "push" into legitimate Cup contention that would be worth trading away what Galchenyuk can potentially become.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
No one should be untouchable if the return is good. I doubt we get what we want for galchenyuk though. Realistically if you get a legit star for galchenyuk why wouldn't you but who would trade a prime aged star for him? They might as well keep their player.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
No one should be untouchable if the return is good. I doubt we get what we want for galchenyuk though. Realistically if you get a legit star for galchenyuk why wouldn't you but who would trade a prime aged star for him? They might as well keep their player.

I guess it would be a situation where a team really wants a star center and has an abundance of star wingers? And maybe they could be tight on cap space, and would rather have a potential star center on his ELC than a more proven more costly winger on his 2nd deal ?

Just thinking out loud..

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
Yeah, no. Too much potential to even entertain the idea of a trade. The scarred from trading McD is still too fresh.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
I guess it would be a situation where a team really wants a star center and has an abundance of star wingers? And maybe they could be tight on cap space, and would rather have a potential star center on his ELC than a more proven more costly winger on his 2nd deal ?

Just thinking out loud..

Maybe so but I mean there isn't really anyone that interests me. A prime aged Hossa? Yah. A Patrick Kane type? Sure. Jeff Carter has been an excellent winger as well(who can also play C) but ultimately just seems futile.

I can understand the purpose but realistically won't happen.

TimStrickland

Jul 30, 2011
hfboards.hockeysfuture.com
OP has no idea what he started.

dO6gg0s.gif

My reaction from poolside-
nicolascageconfusedemotions.gif

thom

Mar 6, 2012
1st Guy Lafleur was a rw in Junior not center-Bowman made him a center in his 1st 3 seasons nearly wrecking his career.

macavoy

May 27, 2009
Houston, Tx
Who would trade Galchenyuk for Getzlaf knowing that Getzlaf is under contract for the next X years and is a PPG+?

Basically that is what the OP is asking, except he wants a LW back instead of center.

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
Eliminate DD's competition!

After seeing a thread about PLekanec on the wing.

We have now a trade Galchenyuk thread.

Seriously. Some people still think having DD as a first center is a good idea to win the cup?

FFS, Koivu was better than DD, Plekanec was better than DD and we didn't win any cup. The problem was that our first center was too small. Now we got even smaller and what I see is:

First line: Pacioretty-DD-whoever

Like it's some kind of winning duo that could never be broken up and **** the rest. Do what you want but DO NOT MOVE DD away from that line. Move Plek to the wing, trade Eller, trade Galchenyuk, just don't touch our first line duo.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
1st Guy Lafleur was a rw in Junior not center-Bowman made him a center in his 1st 3 seasons nearly wrecking his career.

Wrong, Guy played mostly RW the first three years, often with Henri Richard as his Center in 72-73, and with the two Mahovliches in 73-74.

In this article

http://news.google.com/newspapers?n...CQwyAAAAIBAJ&sjid=u6EFAAAAIBAJ&pg=843,2036244

it is mentioned that for 1974-75, Bowman planned to move Lafleur back to centre where he had starred in Junior. In fact, Lafleur did start that year centering Murray Wilson and Bob Gainey, but ended up settling in back with Peter Mahovlich as his C, with Steve Shutt taking over at LW from Frank Mahovlich, who had moved over to the WHA in the off-season.

Lafleur finished his career playing RW 98% of the time, only occasionally playing C when double shifted. But the point was that even as a RW, he was a great playmaker and point getter, and just like Galchenyuk, was played on the wing because, among other reasons, he could not win faceoffs.

Last edited:

Big Lurk

Aug 2, 2013
Eliminate DD's competition!

After seeing a thread about PLekanec on the wing.

We have now a trade Galchenyuk thread.

Seriously. Some people still think having DD as a first center is a good idea to win the cup?

FFS, Koivu was better than DD, Plekanec was better than DD and we didn't win any cup. The problem was that our first center was too small. Now we got even smaller and what I see is:

First line: Pacioretty-DD-whoever

Like it's some kind of winning duo that could never be broken up and **** the rest. Do what you want but DO NOT MOVE DD away from that line. Move Plek to the wing, trade Eller, trade Galchenyuk, just don't touch our first line duo.

If you could read, you would know that the prospect of moving Plekanec to the wing was not to give DD the number one spot but to see if he could handle more defensive responsibilites, as well as evaluating Galchenyuks progress at center.

Reading is fundamental Matthew.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad