Wouldn't it be smarter to get a good LW for...

HabsRockBruinsChoke

Jul 30, 2013
Galchenyuk?

We have Eller and DD locked up for at least 3 years... Plekanec for 2 years... it is likely that non of the 3 will lose their spots at center, and by keeping Galchenyuk at an unnatural position where he doesn't even produce a lot of goals/points is not being optimal of our player resources... especially for a couple of years (we're also most likely to extend plekanec)

Just saying, we are arguably the best team in the East right now (not trolling, boston didn't get any better by losing iginla and doing nothing else, NYR lost richards and stralman, pittsburgh is slowly declining and lost orpik, niskanen, and neal) so our golden chances at the cup will be this year or next year... why not maximize our chances by getting the best player for the job? and by that i'm talking about galchenyuk's spot in the 2nd line LW...

With his high value, even though his point productions aren't great, we can get something that can make an immediate impact... a reasonable straight-up trade for him would be Landeskog... something better would be Taylor Hall but you know the additional costs that would be involved in that (Galchenyuk + Tinordi + Moen + Bournival + a pick).

I just want our team to have players in their natural positions... and it would look nice!

Pacioretty - DD - Parenteau
Landeskog - Plekanec - Gallagher
Bourque - Eller - Sekac
Prust - Malhotra - Weise

That Habs Fan

Nov 29, 2008
Toronto
yes, let's trade Galchenyuk and keep Desharnais as our number 1 centre long term.

VeneratedGenerousBlackfish.gif

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Galchenyuk?

We have Eller and DD locked up for at least 3 years... Plekanec for 2 years... it is likely that non of the 3 will lose their spots at center, and by keeping Galchenyuk at an unnatural position where he doesn't even produce a lot of goals/points is not being optimal of our player resources... especially for a couple of years (we're also most likely to extend plekanec)

Just saying, we are arguably the best team in the East right now (not trolling, boston didn't get any better by losing iginla and doing nothing else, NYR lost richards and stralman, pittsburgh is slowly declining and lost orpik, niskanen, and neal) so our golden chances at the cup will be this year or next year... why not maximize our chances by getting the best player for the job? and by that i'm talking about galchenyuk's spot in the 2nd line LW...

With his high value, even though his point productions aren't great, we can get something that can make an immediate impact... a reasonable straight-up trade for him would be Landeskog... something better would be Taylor Hall but you know the additional costs that would be involved in that (Galchenyuk + Tinordi + Moen + Bournival + a pick).

I just want our team to have players in their natural positions... and it would look nice!

Pacioretty - DD - Parenteau
Landeskog - Plekanec - Gallagher
Bourque - Eller - Sekac
Prust - Malhotra - Weise

At first, I thought the thread was about getting a LW to play with Galchenyuk...

I really TIRED of seeing the bolded.
Like, DD and Pac could both play better hockey than they did at the beginning of the season (Pac not getting injured would help) and it would still lead to the exact same result than last season (Pac and DD not producing at all) when they were tried with Briere.

That line would need either sandpaper, size, or speed, attributes that PAP doesn't gring.

But yeah, I totally dislike the suggestion, as good as Landeskog is, and why exactly would the Avs looking to trade their capitain for something they don't really need?

angry pirate

Feb 9, 2009
I actually understand the OP's position, and it's not even completely without merit. It's not like OP is advocating trading Galchenyuk for scraps here. His two suggestions were to go after Star wingers.

That said, I'd rather keep him as a top 6er and if we need an upgrade look for another Vanek like trade at the deadline.

angry pirate

Feb 9, 2009
To continue that thought, it'll be interesting to see how Galchenyuk produces with a legitimate top 6 winger playing his opposite this year.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
I actually understand the OP's position, and it's not even completely without merit. It's not like OP is advocating trading Galchenyuk for scraps here. His two suggestions were to go after Star wingers.

That said, I'd rather keep him as a top 6er and if we need an upgrade look for another Vanek like trade at the deadline.

Me too, I get it.

But this proposition won't get any consideration on this board where 95% of all posters would run DD over in the street with their cars if their paths crossed.

The concept of trading a future star center for a now star winger is sensible. Star centers are worth more so a team desperate for a star center could possibly want to trade now for future. Maybe.

As for specific names.. I wouldn't dare propose any myself and don't know if any of the names proposed make sense.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Man, that thread title was so alluring.

Doesn't work for two simple reasons: one, Galchenyuk offers the possibility of filing in that No. 1 centre hole, an organization need for any team that desires to be a year-to-year contender. Whether he becomes one is for the future to decide, but I'll take my chances. Second, one has to consider most teams would not trade a top player for one that is still developing, particularly when said top player is almost as young and the captain of their team.

Last edited:

MaxLacoste

Jun 26, 2012
Montreal
I don't know why people says that LW is an unnatural position for him. He always played this position before joining the OHL. We have to wait with Galchenyuk. Trading him now is not a good idea. He will have more value in 3-4 years when he will be a legitimate 1st line center. And then, Montreal will not trade him.

Winter Eclipse

Nov 28, 2013
New York, NY
Me too, I get it.

But this proposition won't get any consideration on this board where 95% of all posters would run DD over in the street with their cars if their paths crossed.

Or some people don't understand how we can talk about trading a potential star center away while keeping DD as a #1

The concept of trading a future star center for a now star winger is sensible. Star centers are worth more so a team desperate for a star center could possibly want to trade now for future. Maybe.

If centers are so valuable, why not trade DD, a proven center, for a winger?

This is the square-circle people have trouble with: DD is good enough to be our #1C to the extent that we can trade away Galchenyuk...BUT, he's not good enough to fetch anything of value himself if traded. :huh:

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
I hope the next time you go to buy food at a restaurant it is overcooked.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad