Dreger: Wouldn't be surprised if NJ/PHI picks are in play

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
I like Tanev, but his value to a rebuilding team like ours isn't as great as it would be to a contender.

Even if you took out the second round pick I still wouldn't do it. It's not that Tanev doesn't have value, but he's not at all what we need right now.

If it were Juolevi + #5 for #1 i'd at least give it some consideration, but even then i'd probably pass and still take Patrick. Honestly I don't perceive our two teams to be good trading partners at all, you guys are also rebuilding and our ask for #1 would include at least one core piece of your rebuild in addition to the 5th pick, the kind of trade you can't really afford to make.

Philadelphia is definitely the better trade candidate, they're closer to being a 'win now' team with Giroux, Voracek, Simmonds etc whereas we're likely waiting on guys like Zacha & McLeod to marinate for another year or two first.

Tanev + #5 for #2 definitely seems like a reasonable foundation for a trade, especially since they're a little lighter on RHD than we are as well.

With Provorov, Ghost, Sanheim, Morin, Hagg, Myers, etc the Flyers are not going to give up assets to add a defensemen as it simply makes no sense. Furthermore, I wouldn't trade 2 for Tanev and 5 from a pure value standpoint. If you are the Flyers you need to hope that Patrick or Hischier becomes a first line 70 point center eventually and they have a much better chance of getting that player with them versus someone at 5. The Flyers were given a gift with this pick, trading it away for decent returns and a package that doesn't make sense for what they need would be idiotic.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Yeah, this is just to drum up interest.

No one is going to overpay for the Devils' or Flyers' picks, and generally speaking there's no reason to move a Top 2 pick in a Top 2 heavy draft unless some team blows you out of the water with an offer.

Both New Jersey and Philadelphia need long-term, high-end answers at forward, and neither team is all that interested in a quality-for-quantity deal (especially the Flyers.) These draft picks give them a better chance of reaching that objective than an assortment of lesser assets.

Well said.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
Oh look. TSN tying to create a story about top picks in play leading up to a draft. I've heard this story before. Never seems to actually happen though...

Right? Plus there's no substance to him saying "wouldn't be surprised", that's clearly just his opinion.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Does Philly and New Jersey think they are getting some sort of superstar here.

It is highly likely the best player in this draft is picked from 3 to 10.

I would actually say it's more likely

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa

Noone has said that.

And if thats the case, that 3-10 is 'highly likely' to be better than 1-2, then please, stop proposing trades for them.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh

Idk man, the consensus top 2 are ranked that way for a reason. That's not to say they that someone else could end up being better, but the top 2 could easily become that Hall type of "very good player".

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Noone has said that.

And if thats the case, that 3-10 is 'highly likely' to be better than 1-2, then please, stop proposing trades for them.
EXACTLY. Trading these picks makes little to no sense for NJ or Philly. For them to even consider it would have to take a great (or at the very least very good) offer. All I hear from fans drafting with the next few picks (mostly Canucks and Avs fans) is that there is no superstar in this draft and yet they continue to try to come up with trade proposals to move up and get Nolan or Nico. Like the dude above said, stop speaking out of both sides of your mouth and making offers if it's going to be that way.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation

NOBODY has said that. However, both teams need a young, cost controlled number 1 center. There are two players who are thought to be head and shoulders above the rest in this draft and they both happen to play center. It makes little to no sense for either team to entertain trades offers, especially ones where they get a decent player and hav to move down a few spots which is big in this draft.

No, there is Matthews or McDavid in this draft. That being said, there are two guys who easily have 55-70 point potential as centers in this league and are a cut above the rest in this draft.

As far as your last comment goes, while possible, calling it likely is pure hyperbole.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
1 and 2 vs 345678910

Ill take those odds in this draft

Trading down doesn't give NJ or Philly the chance of 1-2 versus 3,4,5,6,7,8,9, and 10. It gives them the chance of 1-2 versus ONE of those picks a few spots down in a draft with two elite prospects and then a significant drop. Trading down makes no sense at all for either of these teams and yet the crappy offers continue to come rolling in from fans drafting after 2.

NJ and Philly fans aren't making the offers, so if you don't want to hear how crappy an offer is and/or that it doesn't make sense, stop making them.

Hictor Vedman*

Unregistered Hedman
Sep 30, 2014
Ottawa
Speculates that perhaps Arizona, Colorado, or Vancouver could call to gauge what the cost of moving up would be. Goes on to say that he believes it would cost a top prospect or 2nd round pick to slide down 2, 3, or 4 spots.
This happens every year. And every year, the teams with the original pick #1 and #2 don't move their picks, and pick the guy that they want.

I suppose you could warrant that this draft is special. The Devils have so much mother****ing cap space. It's practically a sea of cap space, with absolutely no one worthy of mention that they NEED to resign. And a new NHL team is joining the league, which means everybody gets a bit of cap relief in one way or another.

But I think it's a foregone conclusion that the Devils will be getting Nolan, and Philly will be extremely happy to draft Nico.

That'll be a fun Metropolitan rivalry to watch.

Roo Mad Bro

U havin a giggle m8?
Dec 6, 2010
PA

Someone is upset the Canucks didn't get a top 2 pick.

135ace

Mar 18, 2015
nucks fans: "we don't even want to pick top 2 we're so certain of this. what suckers for winning the lottery."

I was looking at the Tanev + 5OA proposals to move up and was dumbfounded. Doubt Dallas would even trade 3OA for that. If they want 1/2 OA they better add their 2018 1st.
But let's be serious, it's Benning we're talking about and Shero can probably fleece him and get something like Horvat, 5OA and 2018 1st.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Someone is upset the Canucks didn't get a top 2 pick.
That's all it is. Canucks and Avs are upset that they were the big losers in the lottery, and rightfully so. That being said, you can't have it both ways. They keep saying out loud (to try convince themselves) that having the 1st or 2nd pick in this year's is no big deal because there isn't a McDavid or Matthews. At the same time, they keep coming up with all of these trade proposals and scenarios to get one of those top two picks. Then when they get told it doesn't make sense for Jersey or Philly to move the picks short of an over payment, they resort back to "there's no Matthews or McDavid argument." Jersey and Philly are going to stay put at 1 and 2 and everyone else has to sift through the rest of the prospects who are a clear cut below Nico and Nolan, deal with it.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Noone has said that.

The best thing about NJ, Philly and Dallas winning the lottery was the looks on the faces of Sakic and Linden, and McPhee to some degree, who all looked like 3 year old kids who'd just been informed that Christmas was cancelled.

I don't see any way that any of the top three picks are dealt, unless someone makes a really silly offer.

Last edited:

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
I was looking at the Tanev + 5OA proposals to move up and was dumbfounded. Doubt Dallas would even trade 3OA for that. If they want 1/2 OA they better add their 2018 1st.
But let's be serious, it's Benning we're talking about and Shero can probably fleece him and get something like Horvat, 5OA and 2018 1st.

The proposal was Tanev, 5, and either pick 1 or 2 along with a 2nd round pick this year. This is an embarrassing offer, and even more embarrassing is the guy saying he was being generous with the offer.

Hictor Vedman*

Unregistered Hedman
Sep 30, 2014
Ottawa

No, they're aware they're getting a career AHLer and Vancouver will get the best player on the planet.

mercury

Mar 10, 2003
South Philly/SoCal
Visit site
I think this is a little bit of a disingenuous statement.

No one here is expecting a franchise level talent out of this pick. But both organizations need a Top 6C with upside. I won't speak for the Devils, but adding Tanev, who is a good player, to a pool of defensemen like Provorov, Morin, Sanheim, Ghost, Gudas, Myers, and Hagg is just overkill, and isnt good asset management.

Historically, the odds state that two of those players end up better than Tanev is now. We may get lucky and end up with three, but that would be a major coup. Also, dropping old, bad AMac for prime, good Tanev would open the window for Cup contention faster and keep it open at least as long.

Meanwhile, the Flyers center depth is Giroux, Filpulla, Couturier. With only Rubstov in the system with middle 6 upside. Nolan or Nico fills a need. Tanev doesn't.

That is pretty good center depth for now, and the #5 overall would be a good forward, anyway. And I think prime top-4 defenseman is a need, given that we are shedding dead weight and bringing up kids. Tanev would be an excellent glue guy as things progress. And we'd have the flexibility to move a d-man prospect if we feel we need to.

Last edited:

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
The proposal was Tanev, 5, and either pick 1 or 2 along with a 2nd round pick this year. This is an embarrassing offer, and even more embarrassing is the guy saying he was being generous with the offer.

It really isn't that embarrassing. We're seeing opposite ends of the spectrum here - you calling the offer embarrassing, and the other poster calling it generous.

It's not that unreasonable to believe that Tanev will be better than the #1/#2 player. For example, I would take Tanev over Murray any day. Age is the only real argument there.

So Tanev + 5th overall could easily have more value than #1/#2 overall, especially given this draft year and the lack of elite talent.

I see why parties on both sides would reject the offer though, based on positional strength and rebuilding teams that need younger players. But in a vacuum, the value really isn't far off.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad