Dreger: Wouldn't be surprised if NJ/PHI picks are in play

ghdi

Feb 4, 2009
NJ
I have absolutely no doubt that Shero and Hextall are listening. They need to be, but all 5 of these teams need help that picks in this range provide.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Can't see the Devils moving down unless they pick up either a high quality C or LD prospect, preferably LD. Possibly a RW depending on who it is.

Obviously if they move down to take Heiskanen, then they'd prefer a C or RW.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Every year there's speculation because it drives views and discussion amongst fans. Very rarely does it ever happen because for a team to move down in the draft it has to make overwhelming sense, which in turn causes it to make almost no sense for the team moving up.

I highly doubt a team like Colorado would trade any of their prospects short of maybe someone like Chris Bigras in order to move up. Once Philly or NJ hears "4th Overall + Chris Bigras for 1st or 2nd Overall" they'll balk and say it requires Matt Duchene (absurd) or Tyson Jost (less absurd, but still not happening).

So... shall we just let this one go and give Dreger his views?

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
Vancouver and Colorado are run by complete morons. So i feel this has merit just on those grounds. More so that doing something this idiotic would be right up Benning's ally and would finally assist in the firing of him. It'd put Vancouver further back but it might just be whats needed for this idiot to be out of management.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
I can't see Philly moving theirs they have a young d core and one of those centers should set them up for a long time

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
It would seem unlikely, from the Flyers' point of view. They have one glaring organizational need: a prospective 1C to take over from Claude Giroux over the next few seasons. Their best chance in doing so lies with either Nolan Patrick or Nico Hischier. And I don't see another club dealing for 2nd overall pick with an even better 1C prospect.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Philly will be picking exactly what we need as an organization, so it's hard to believe we'd swap that pick UNLESS it was for a similar young 1C prospect/current player.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Vancouver and Colorado are run by complete morons. So i feel this has merit just on those grounds. More so that doing something this idiotic would be right up Benning's ally and would finally assist in the firing of him. It'd put Vancouver further back but it might just be whats needed for this idiot to be out of management.

Benning would have to offer something stupid like Virtanen + Juolevi with the #5 for the Devils to want to move back to #5 imo. Even then it's likely way too risky to move back that far, unless the Devils are targeting someone like Mittlestadt.

Colorado doesn't have the defense it needs to part with to switch with the Devils; they need defense just as badly as the Devils.. I guess they could entice the Flyers with a young forward, but not sure who is expendable for a prospect there.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Speculates that perhaps Arizona, Colorado, or Vancouver could call to gauge what the cost of moving up would be. Goes on to say that he believes it would cost a top prospect or 2nd round pick to slide down 2, 3, or 4 spots.

Any chance you misinterpreted what he said because there is no way either team is moving down 2 or 3 spots in a 2 person draft for only a 2nd round pick.

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
Philly makes more sense to me than NJ. The Devils should take Patrick.

I don't think either will, but the Devs would make more sense 100%. Philly needs a forward and has amazing D depth in the organization. Devs need D. IF they loved one of the defenders, they could trade back to 3 or 4. They won't, but they could.

Donuts

Nov 7, 2014
Both NJ and philly need a centre and if their GMs think a player like Glass or Mittlestadt will be on par or better than Nolan and Nico then they would trade down to get more assets

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
Devils are taking Patrick unless someone gives them a 1C for him.. so they will be taking Patrick.

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
Any chance you misinterpreted what he said because there is no way either team is moving down 2 or 3 spots in a 2 person draft for only a 2nd round pick.

Yeah and a top prospect isn't really equal to a 2rd pick.

I don't think either will, but the Devs would make more sense 100%. Philly needs a forward and has amazing D depth in the organization. Devs need D. IF they loved one of the defenders, they could trade back to 3 or 4. They won't, but they could.

Devils needs everything from a top center to a top D

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
If there's ever a time to seriously consider dealing the 1st or 2nd overall pick it's this draft.

Of course it all depends on the offer, like always. I don't see the Devils passing on a potential 1C though.

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
#2 for MacKinnon.

Avs take Heiskanen at 2 and whichever of Vilardi/Mittelstadt/Glass they have as the best future center at 4.

(No, I don't think this likely)

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
If there's ever a time to seriously consider dealing the 1st or 2nd overall pick it's this draft.

Of course it all depends on the offer, like always. I don't see the Devils passing on a potential 1C though.

That's not true though. Both NJD and Phi need #1C prospects. If the consensus 1 and 2 were D or W, then I'd agree with you.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

No one in the top 5 except for Philly has good enough D prospects to entice Devils to move down.

It would take either a really good forward prospect and the Devils taking Heiskanen or a really good defender and the Devils picking Vilardi/Mittlestadt for them to move down.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Oh look. TSN tying to create a story about top picks in play leading up to a draft. I've heard this story before. Never seems to actually happen though...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad