Dreger: Wouldn't be surprised if NJ/PHI picks are in play

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Uhh, this offer is garbage and so is the logic. By your logic Vancouver should trade 5OA to NJ for Jon Merrill and a 2nd rounder. I mean this is a weak draft so it's very likely that Merrill ends up being better than whomever is picked at 5OA plus it's also possible that NJ's 2nd rounder ends up being better than 5OA...don't forget it's a weak draft...and it's very likely that somebody in the 2nd round will be better than 5OA...hell it's even possible that a 3rd rounder ends up being better than 5OA so you're really getting an amazing deal here. You should thank Shero if he offered you Merrill and a 2nd rounder...it's a pretty damn amazing deal for Vancouver as NJ's clearly overpaying.

You're stretching my reasoning to the point where it doesn't make sense. Not a compelling argument.

If Merrill was a top pairing dman, entering his prime, as a premier shutdown defenceman with good analytics on a terrible team, with 4 years left on a good cap hit, sure. The drop from #1/#2 overall to #5 overall is MUCH smaller than going from #5 overall to a 2nd round pick.

Are you even trying? Try applying some probability to your post.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
You're stretching my reasoning to the point where it doesn't make sense. Not a compelling argument.

If Merrill was a top pairing dman, entering his prime, as a premier shutdown defenceman with good analytics on a terrible team, with 4 years left on a good cap hit, sure. The drop from #1/#2 overall to #5 overall is MUCH smaller than going from #5 overall to a 2nd round pick.

Are you even trying? Try applying some probability to your post.

Merrill's absolute ceiling is a 2nd-3rd pairing defensive defenseman. He has no trade value.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Does Philly and New Jersey think they are getting some sort of superstar here.

It is highly likely the best player in this draft is picked from 3 to 10.

I would actually say it's more likely

While I agree with you this seems like a draft that somebody picked 3+ will end up being the best player 5 years from now doesn't change the fact that the likelyhood of the player being picked first will be better then the player being picked in any other given spot(so yeah while the guy picked 7th might end up the best player Patrick will end up better then the guys picked 5th, 6th, 8th and 9th)

goblix

May 11, 2013
People ranking Hischier and Patrick way too highly. The drop off from 1/2 to 3-5 is noticeable but it's not drastic. Not like Matthews/Laine/Puljujarvi or McDavid/Eichel from the past 2 years..

So yes you can ask for quite a bit but the asking for the moon is insane.
Before you say "well then we'll keep the pick" that's a great position but doesn't provide much to the conversation.

NJD should keep their pick, they have holes and should take a 2-3 year approach. IF there is any benefit on picking Patrick or Hischier it's that if they will likely contribute nicely to their team in their 2nd year.

Philly is in more of a win now approach, again those top 2 picks could likely play next year but it's not sure-fire bet. They could be liabilities or they simply may not produce. Which is why I could see Philly looking to move the pick for a "win now" type move.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
I'm still hoping to keep Kovy AND draft Patrick.

Hall-Zacha-Kovalchuk
Henrique-Patrick-Palmieri
Cammalleri-Zajac-Noesen
Wood-Blandisi-Bennett

I'm down with this.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
People ranking Hischier and Patrick way too highly. The drop off from 1/2 to 3-5 is noticeable but it's not drastic. Not like Matthews/Laine/Puljujarvi or McDavid/Eichel from the past 2 years..

Before you say "well then we'll keep the pick" that's a great position but doesn't provide much to the conversation.

NJD should keep their pick, they have holes and should take a 2-3 year approach. IF there is any benefit on picking Patrick or Hischier it's that if they will likely contribute nicely to their team in their 2nd year.

Philly is in more of a win now approach
, again those top 2 picks could likely play next year but it's not sure-fire bet. They could be liabilities or they simply may not produce. Which is why I could see Philly looking to move the pick for a "win now" type move.

We really aren't. And we're definitely not moving the pick to win now.

Hextall is the most patient GM we've had in maybe...ever. It's not happening.

Also: Who should be ranked 1 and 2 then if not Patrick or Hischier? There's no two that are a better consensus choice.

goblix

May 11, 2013
We really aren't. And we're definitely not moving the pick to win now.

Hextall is the most patient GM we've had in maybe...ever. It's not happening.

Also: Who should be ranked 1 and 2 then if not Patrick or Hischier? There's no two that are a better consensus choice.

Yeah those 2 are above the rest... no question about that. The question is by how much.
Honestly between the top 5-7 choices all of the picks are great talents the reason Patrick and Hischier stands out is because they look ready to make an impact on the NHL and are likely closer to make an impact than the rest.

On philly. Honestly I don't understand why they wouldn't be in a win now mode. They have a great young d-core and Giroux / Voracek in their primes, and barely missed the playoffs. That said I could see why they would just take the pick and let it ride until Patrick / Hiscier are ready to contribute. They can always make other trades to bolster what they need which is IMO a top 4 RHD more than anything.

On Patrick vs Hischier, I think Hischier is the better pick, nothing else but he's faster, more dynamic and is AHL eligible. :yo:

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
I am interested in him definitely.... don't think I'd give up the first pick though.

I mean 1st OA and 2nd OA is very close value-wise this year, honestly 3rd OA is also close because Heiskanen is a stud. Personally i have Hischier going #1, others have Patrick.

I think scouts were split 51%-49% when they were polled on who would go #1.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Yeah those 2 are above the rest... no question about that. The question is by how much.
Honestly between the top 5-7 choices all of the picks are great talents the reason Patrick and Hischier stands out is because they look ready to make an impact on the NHL and are likely closer to make an impact than the rest.

On philly. Honestly I don't understand why they wouldn't be in a win now mode. They have a great young d-core and Giroux / Voracek in their primes, and barely missed the playoffs. That said I could see why they would just take the pick and let it ride until Patrick / Hiscier are ready to contribute. They can always make other trades to bolster what they need which is IMO a top 4 RHD more than anything.

On Patrick vs Hischier, I think Hischier is the better pick, nothing else but he's faster, more dynamic and is AHL eligible. :yo:

Philly doesn't have a great young d core. They have a great prospect pool. There's a huge difference. We can realistically think to contend until they prove to be what we hope they will be. Until then, were a fringe playoff team at best. Phillys earliest probably chance of being good is like 2018-19.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Philly doesn't have a great young d core. They have a great prospect pool. There's a huge difference. We can realistically think to contend until they prove to be what we hope they will be. Until then, were a fringe playoff team at best. Phillys earliest probably chance of being good is like 2018-19.

Agreed. For some reason fans of other teams seem to think the Flyers are a lot closer than they actually are to be a legitimate playoff contender again. I personally think they are a good 2-3 years away.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002

Philly is in more of a win now approach, again those top 2 picks could likely play next year but it's not sure-fire bet. They could be liabilities or they simply may not produce. Which is why I could see Philly looking to move the pick for a "win now" type move.

Except Philly isn't in 'win now' mode. They will be breaking in 3 rookie Dmen this year, a couple rookie forwards and probably the 2OA pick. The goalies of the future are in Jr and Sweden still. There is no rush. The Flyers aren't trading the 2nd pick unless someone gives them a future package worth considering.

Tim Raines

Oct 26, 2015
Oh look. TSN tying to create a story about top picks in play leading up to a draft. I've heard this story before. Never seems to actually happen though...

Just be thankful the story isn't about the Leafs. That's all we can hope for these days with TSN and Sportsnet.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Just be thankful the story isn't about the Leafs. That's all we can hope for these days with TSN and Sportsnet.

Sssshhhhhh. Don't say the T word too loud, else the fans will come in to the thread and tell us how they wouldn't trade Nylander's jock strap for the #1 and #2 overall this year (Philly and NJ would obviously have to split the strap somehow).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad