Wouldn't be surprised if Kuznetsov wins Art Ross

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
I don't know about Art Ross, but I would be shocked if he's not top 5 in the league. His trajectory is the moon right now. The first few seasons he had it was clear he was really adjusting to the North American style of hockey and at that time he had flashes of brilliance, but it was your prototypical Russian trying too flashy of a move or not understanding how to use his line mates. Even as recent as the middle of last year Kuzy was still making some of these mistakes where he was just trying to be too cute with the puck.

In the latter half of the season and the playoffs it seemed like it finally clicked. He understood when to break out the style, when to dump it off, when to take his shot, etc. Honestly with his vision and skill the sky is really the limit for him. On top of that he's just a really fun guy to watch. He doesn't take the game too seriously, he's a great teammate, and he's super laid back.

My favorite Kuzy off season thing is that when Jalen Ramsey of the Jacksonville Jaguars said he could make the NHL in 6 months it was met with a wave of anger and vitriol. Kuzy's response to that comment? "That'd be pretty cool to see."

The guy just can't be rattled.

JMUcapsfan07

Jan 29, 2010
NoVA
Good to see Kuzy picking up where he left off in the playoffs and cementing that he is a top player in the league.

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
For how long does he have to dominate the NHL until this thread becomes reasonable to the nay-sayers?

Before anyone answers with "small sample size"... It's not small, but your attention span may be.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I feel pretty confident in saying that Kuznetsov will never win the Art Ross in his career. Top 10 for sure but he won’t win.

third man in

Jul 27, 2007
Maryland
I feel pretty confident in saying that Kuznetsov will never win the Art Ross in his career. Top 10 for sure but he won’t win.
He's probably top 5 skill wise in the league.

He had 86 points last year and an even better playoffs.

He plays with maybe the best goal scorer in history.

The PP unit he plays on is probably the best in the league.

He very well may never win it. But you shouldn't be confident about it.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
For how long does he have to dominate the NHL until this thread becomes reasonable to the nay-sayers?

Before anyone answers with "small sample size"... It's not small, but your attention span may be.

I mean, the dude had fish first ever PPG+ season last year. I wouldn't exactly call it dominating before that point. And even last year he finished what? 15th in scoring?

He's a great player but he simply isnt on the level of McDavid or some of the other elite scorers yet.

Frosty415

Nov 27, 2009
415 to 519
He’s always had this potential, he gets underrated too much, probably because hes russian.

The real question is, can he catch Auston Matthews?

Firsov99

Feb 17, 2006
I mean, the dude had fish first ever PPG+ season last year. I wouldn't exactly call it dominating before that point. And even last year he finished what? 15th in scoring?

He's a great player but he simply isnt on the level of McDavid or some of the other elite scorers yet.
Before THAT point he didn’t play much on PP one unit. I am sure that this fact will be a surprise to many non-Caps fans. He didn’t even start on PP one last year, but luckily Trotz made the right decision on moving him up.

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016

So we're just going to ignore the playoffs? Were talking about 110+ games of dominance here.

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
Kuz is amazing, however these early threads only exist because CM has played 1 game. I'm pretty sure a lot of these threads wouldn't exist if the Oilers had played 2-3 games.

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
Guy has more skill than basically anyone else in the NHL. Insane raw skill.

He had 83 points last year. I think he bumps up to 90 this season if he plays 82 games. Maybe he gets more. But I think 90 is a real go.

He will have to fight with McDavid, Giroux, McKinnon, Kuch, and probably now Mathews. There are others too.

9 guys had more than 90 points last season. With the amount of skill in the league I think we see again 8-10 guys with more than 90 points this year. Kuzy may sneak in there. That PP is insane. Literally, I think the Caps looks better at this point (it's early I know) than they did last season. They may hit a wall though...

Reactions: third man in

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
Kuz is amazing, however these early threads only exist because CM has played 1 game. I'm pretty sure a lot of these threads wouldn't exist if the Oilers had played 2-3 games.

Again. You're the one basing this on a single game. Not the people arguing that he can continue to compete to be onee of the best players in the league.

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
Again. You're the one basing this on a single game. Not the people arguing that he can continue to compete to be onee of the best players in the league.
I'm not saying that he isn't one of the best players in the league (because he already is), I was just talking about the Art Ross

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
I'm not saying that he isn't one of the best players in the league (because he already is), I was just talking about the Art Ross

I'm just saying the thread pre dates your single game sample. No one is guaranting he wins it. People are just guaranting he loses it as if there is no track record to defend that possibility

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
Early in the season, but looks like he's picked up right where he left off from last playoffs. And being an integral part of a deadly PP will surely help as well.

Still think it's a healthy McD's to lose for the foreseeable future, but a lot players can make it interesting.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
I'd be surprised if he did. Cus that means all of McDavid, MacKinnon, Crosby, and Matthews sustained season ending injuries.

No. Kuznetsov could also just outscore them. Last year, the Art Ross winner, McDavid had 108 points. If Kuznetsov had gotten 109 points, he would have won. People are making the case that Kuznetsov has the potential to be a 110+ point player. He scored at that pace in the playoffs, which is generally considered harder to score in than the regular season, as the game is rougher and the competition is better.

Reactions: third man in

strictlyrandy

Sep 9, 2013
Colorado
No. Kuznetsov could also just outscore them. Last year, the Art Ross winner, McDavid had 108 points. If Kuznetsov had gotten 109 points, he would have won. People are making the case that Kuznetsov has the potential to be a 110+ point player.

Kuznetsov had 83 points in 79 games. He wasn't even close to 90 points yet he is an Art Ross favorite?

If ANYONE had gotten to 109 points they would have won the Art Ross.

McDavid has 120 point potential. Kuznetsov just isn't in that conversation. Maybe let Kuznetsov get top 3 in scoring before suggesting he is in that tier.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Kuznetsov had 83 points in 79 games. He wasn't even close to 90 points yet he is an Art Ross favorite?

If ANYONE had gotten to 109 points they would have won the Art Ross.

McDavid has 120 point potential. Kuznetsov just isn't in that conversation. Maybe let Kuznetsov get top 3 in scoring before suggesting he is in that tier.

Apparently Matthews is in that tier though despite never cracking 70 points or having a playoff performance anywhere remotely like Kuznetsov

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,217.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $400.00