Wouldn't be surprised if Kuznetsov wins Art Ross

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Kuznetsov had 83 points in 79 games. He wasn't even close to 90 points yet he is an Art Ross favorite?

If ANYONE had gotten to 109 points they would have won the Art Ross.

McDavid has 120 point potential. Kuznetsov just isn't in that conversation. Maybe let Kuznetsov get top 3 in scoring before suggesting he is in that tier.

You're ignoring Kuznetsov's playoff performance and the fact that Kuznetsov seems to be continuing to get better. Kuznetsov played at exactly a 109 point pace through 24 games of the playoffs.

Reactions: third man in

strictlyrandy

Sep 9, 2013
Colorado
Apparently Matthews is in that tier though despite never cracking 70 points or having a playoff performance anywhere remotely like Kuznetsov

Matthews is in that tier because he has the ppg to suggest he is. He's got the potential to be an Art Ross winner, injuries have held him back and kept us from seeing what a full season really looks like for him. Right now it's magic beans. Kuznetsov doesn't have the same potential Matthews does either fwiw.

Playoffs don't count when it comes to the Art Ross so I don't know why you're citing that as criteria that matters.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Matthews is in that tier because he has the ppg to suggest he is. He's got the potential to be an Art Ross winner, injuries have held him back and kept us from seeing what a full season really looks like for him. Right now it's magic beans. Kuznetsov doesn't have the same potential Matthews does either fwiw.

Playoffs don't count when it comes to the Art Ross so I don't know why you're citing that as criteria that matters.

Kuznetsov paced better than Matthews last year lmao.

Playoffs have shown that Kuznetsov has easily the same talent and game breaking ability Matthews has if not more at this point. He's easily a better skater and playmaker for one.

strictlyrandy

Sep 9, 2013
Colorado
You're ignoring Kuznetsov's playoff performance and the fact that Kuznetsov seems to be continuing to get better. Kuznetsov played at exactly a 109 point pace through 24 games of the playoffs.

Playoffs have absolutely nothing to do with the Art Ross.

A great playoff performance does not win regular season trophies the following season.

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
If playoff performances mattered for regular season awards how come Danny Briere didn't win an Art Ross?

I don't know if you expect a serious answer to such a preposterous statement, but here ya go.

In Briere's two best playoffs he got over a ppg the following season, including his career best 95 point season in 2007.

Anyway, if you think were arguing that Art Rosses are awarded for playoff performance, it's no wonder you're struggling to understand the argument.

strictlyrandy

Sep 9, 2013
Colorado
I don't know if you expect a serious answer to such a preposterous statement, but here ya go.

In Briere's two best playoffs he got over a ppg the following season, including his career best 95 point season in 2007.

Anyway, if you think were arguing that Art Rosses are awarded for playoff performance, it's no wonder you're struggling to understand the argument.

I argued that Kuznetsov isn't likely to win the Art Ross because I feel there's much better players ahead of him.

Someone started citing post season success as to why he will. I correctly and factually stated that post season success has nothing to do with regular season succes. Now here you are telling me I don't understand the argument when I'm not the one suggesting a 24 game sample size is indicative of regular season success.

Clearly you don't understand the argument and just want to get up on a soap box about how great Kuznetsov is.

Fwiw, Kuznetsov wouldn't have even been in top 2 scoring on the Avs last season and all of a sudden he's an Art Ross finalist.

third man in

Jul 27, 2007
Maryland

So Matthews has art ross potential because of ppg but Kuznetsov who was both ppg in the RS and the playoffs doesn't?

Showing game breaking ability in the playoffs apparently doesn't count to you because reasons. GD I hate this site sometimes.

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
I argued that Kuznetsov isn't likely to win the Art Ross because I feel there's much better players ahead of him.

Someone started citing post season success as to why he will. I correctly and factually stated that post season success has nothing to do with regular season succes. Now here you are telling me I don't understand the argument when I'm not the one suggesting a 24 game sample size is indicative of regular season success.

Clearly you don't understand the argument and just want to get up on a soap box about how great Kuznetsov is.

Fwiw, Kuznetsov wouldn't have even been in top 2 scoring on the Avs last season and all of a sudden he's an Art Ross finalist.

Again no one is arguing that he will. Keep building straw men all you want.

No one is saying he WILL win the art ross.

No one is saying he will win it BECAUSE he torched everyone in the playoffs.

The argument is: based on his last 80-110 games (including playoffs) the OP as well as myself and others here "would not be surprised if he wins the Art Ross".

You would be surprised because, in part, you think the playoffs has no correlation to regular season. Got it.

strictlyrandy

Sep 9, 2013
Colorado
So Matthews has art ross potential because of ppg but Kuznetsov who was both ppg in the RS and the playoffs doesn't?

Showing game breaking ability in the playoffs apparently doesn't count to you because reasons. GD I hate this site sometimes.

Game breaking ability is one thing. Using post season stats to predict and dictate regular season stats is incredibly silly yet you're adhering to it as if it's gospel.

Post season stats just don't win regular season awards yet I'm the one who is wrong in stating that. Weird. Maybe regular season success can predict who wins the Conn Smythe.

filinski77

Feb 12, 2017
I don't think he will win it at all, but it's outrageous to say he's not in that tier of players up there with Mac, Matthews, Giroux, Malkin etc.

His playoff scoring last year was the best since Malkin in 08/09, he has the ability to do it, that's for sure.

Reactions: Khomutov

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

It's still only 24 games though. The majority of the top 20 scorers other than Kuznetsov also had streaks of at least 32 points in 24 games last year (McDavid, Giroux, Kucherov, Malkin, MacKinnon, Hall, Kopitar, Crosby, Marchand, Gaudreau, Rantanen, and Panarin, with Barzal and Tavares one point off). The playoffs aren't really any harder to score anymore either. The average GPG in the playoffs last season was 2.95 compared to 2.97 in the regular season, and the Caps scored a whopping 3.58 GPG in the playoffs compared to 3.12 in the regular season.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Playoffs have absolutely nothing to do with the Art Ross.

A great playoff performance does not win regular season trophies the following season.

No one said it did.

However, that doesn't mean it's impossible for Kuznetsov to carry his success from last year's playoffs into this year's regular season. He already has 7 points in 3 games.

Reactions: third man in

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Guy has more skill than basically anyone else in the NHL. Insane raw skill.

He had 83 points last year. I think he bumps up to 90 this season if he plays 82 games. Maybe he gets more. But I think 90 is a real go.

He will have to fight with McDavid, Giroux, McKinnon, Kuch, and probably now Mathews. There are others too.

9 guys had more than 90 points last season. With the amount of skill in the league I think we see again 8-10 guys with more than 90 points this year. Kuzy may sneak in there. That PP is insane. Literally, I think the Caps looks better at this point (it's early I know) than they did last season. They may hit a wall though...
This.

Like seriously, the guy can and sometimes does cycle the puck himself. He did it last night. No passing options? Not a problem he will just literally skate the entire zone with ease until a lane opens up.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
Something something small sample size....

Something something what this site needs is more Kuznetsov threads.

Something something lol Caps fans....

Did I do this right?

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I think McDavid will win that one again if he's healthy and plays 82 games. He's just too damn good. We might see a few more players with close to 90-100+ points this season though which is always exciting.

Only thing that can stop McDavid IMO is injury and their PP being worse than last year.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
I think McDavid will win that one again if he's healthy and plays 82 games. He's just too damn good. We might see a few more players with close to 90-100+ points this season though which is always exciting.

Only thing that can stop McDavid IMO is injury and their PP being worse than last year.

McDavid is the best individual player. However, other players have far more support offensively. This is why McDavid only won the race by 6 points last year. Luck is also a factor here. Obviously McDavid is the favorite, but it's not outside the realm of possibility that another player, like possibly Kuznetsov, wins it.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
McDavid is the best individual player. However, other players have far more support offensively. This is why McDavid only won the race by 6 points last year. Luck is also a factor here. Obviously McDavid is the favorite, but it's not outside the realm of possibility that another player, like possibly Kuznetsov, wins it.

Oh, I would definitely bet on the field because there are so many good players in the league. I just feel like McDavid has proven (so far) that 95-100 points isn’t hard for him. For most of his competitors, a lot has to go right for them to hit that mark.

Not having support helps in some ways (more ice time, PP minutes etc) and hurts in some ways (always targeted, exhaustion due to more ice time).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad