Friedman: 'Wouldn't be surprised if Flames are interested in OEL and Kuemper'

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
There will be a million decent goalies available this year because of the expansion draft and limited protections. I really would not want to give up a 1st for Kuemper.
If you listen to the Friedman broadcasts, you’ll learn that he’s not getting his info from AZ sources, he’s getting it from league sources. He’s complained that he can’t get anything out of AZ. And he’s absolutely emphatic that any Kuemper trade would return a first rounder at minimum. That’s what he’s got from talking to other teams.

Doesn’t mean Calgary or any other team will pay that price. But that’s the perceived value around the league.

Anyway, I don’t think Arizona will trade Kuemper. I think Tocchet wants the keep everyone together and try again. It seems to me he’s influencing heavily the GM search and will likely get the team to hire a like-minded candidate.

I’m a Coyotes fan who wants to trade every player over 25 on the roster. But I don’t expect the team to trade major pieces of the roster. With the lone exception of OEL. And that’s just because he and Tocchet don’t get along and have been like oil and water from the start.

I think Tocchet believes he needs someone who can score goals. And I think he believes he’s better off letting Kuemper get shelled and insodoing, hiding the loss of OEL.

I could see something like OEL+Stepan with retention for Monahan+Lucic with retention. Something like that. Where Tocchet thinks he getting goals.

Doesn’t seem like a great fit for Ottawa who gets even thinner at center, though.

Reactions: qqaz

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
that's nearly 13 million in salary, and 19 for Kuemper is fair-ish value, I suppose.

I'd guess they'd offer something along the lines of Hanifin+Ryan+19th+2021 2nd and maybe a prospect like Phillips or something, but that would basically be it for Flames moves this offseason.
Nothing that hurts us too much in that package. That's a lot of moving pieces though. I'd be very wary on OEL. That's a lot of years left for a guy who hasn't impressed me in any of my viewings of him the past 2 seasons. He's a lot like Hanifin or Nurse for me. The skill set is intriguing, but the on ice play leaves me wanting.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Nothing that hurts us too much in that package. That's a lot of moving pieces though. I'd be very wary on OEL. That's a lot of years left for a guy who hasn't impressed me in any of my viewings of him the past 2 seasons. He's a lot like Hanifin or Nurse for me. The skill set is intriguing, but the on ice play leaves me wanting.

My logic was positional downgrade for the Coyotes but they get younger and with big cap savings. Ryan can play and is only for a year, and they can recoup some of the futures they've lost. I don't know if it's enough though, they'll probably want a first for OEL as well if they're getting one for Kuemper.

He scares me a bit too. We've been talking about it on the Oiler board but there's no real consensus if we want to go for him or not. If last year was just a blip/Tocchet sucks, then it's a good bet he'll bounce back, but there's always the worry he's starting a downturn a la Subban.

Ledge And Dairy

If you listen to the Friedman broadcasts, you’ll learn that he’s not getting his info from AZ sources, he’s getting it from league sources. He’s complained that he can’t get anything out of AZ. And he’s absolutely emphatic that any Kuemper trade would return a first rounder at minimum. That’s what he’s got from talking to other teams.

Doesn’t mean Calgary or any other team will pay that price. But that’s the perceived value around the league.

Anyway, I don’t think Arizona will trade Kuemper. I think Tocchet wants the keep everyone together and try again. It seems to me he’s influencing heavily the GM search and will likely get the team to hire a like-minded candidate.

I’m a Coyotes fan who wants to trade every player over 25 on the roster. But I don’t expect the team to trade major pieces of the roster. With the lone exception of OEL. And that’s just because he and Tocchet don’t get along and have been like oil and water from the start.

I think Tocchet believes he needs someone who can score goals. And I think he believes he’s better off letting Kuemper get shelled and insodoing, hiding the loss of OEL.

I could see something like OEL+Stepan with retention for Monahan+Lucic with retention. Something like that. Where Tocchet thinks he getting goals.

Doesn’t seem like a great fit for Ottawa who gets even thinner at center, though.
No chance that would happen. First Lucic won't waive. Secondly, Monahan is not being moved for a 2/3C and another LD. That would be horrible asset management.

Tah246

Jun 24, 2015
Maybe something that looks like:

To Flames:
OEL
Kuemper
Rights to Hall

To Coyotes:
Gaudreau
Hanifin
Condition draft pick (based on hall signing)

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
Maybe something that looks like:

To Flames:
OEL
Kuemper
Rights to Hall

To Coyotes:
Gaudreau
Hanifin
Condition draft pick (based on hall signing)
Hall has said his main priority is winning, I highly doubt Calgary comes to mind when he considers his options.

Tah246

Jun 24, 2015
Hall has said his main priority is winning, I highly doubt Calgary comes to mind when he considers his options.

Maybe not but if he takes Kuemper with him that could change things quite a bit for him. All he did was praise his goaltending during the playoffs.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
The issue with the Flames is they aren't just a good goalie away from being a Cup contender. They have a lot of other needs.

Kuemper is certainly an upgrade for them, but I don't see him putting the Flames over the top. The only time you should deal a 1st is for a player that's really going to make your team a contender.

Ledge And Dairy

My logic was positional downgrade for the Coyotes but they get younger and with big cap savings. Ryan can play and is only for a year, and they can recoup some of the futures they've lost. I don't know if it's enough though, they'll probably want a first for OEL as well if they're getting one for Kuemper.

He scares me a bit too. We've been talking about it on the Oiler board but there's no real consensus if we want to go for him or not. If last year was just a blip/Tocchet sucks, then it's a good bet he'll bounce back, but there's always the worry he's starting a downturn a la Subban.
I think a team like NYR is more prep'd to go after a big name like OEL. Send some futures back as well as cap dumps. I personally would rather keep Hanifin between the 2. OEL is currently the better player but at twice the cap hit and 5 years older. Hanifin also lowkey had a great playoffs, lead (tied for the lead) the team in EV points. Since being partnered with Andersson instead of Hamonic there have been massive improvements in both synergy and overall gameplay.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Elliotte Friedman: Vegas' goalie situation, player tracking technology and Ekman-Larsson's future - Sportsnet.ca

Around the 18 minute mark from yesterday's show.

So what are you offering Flames fans?

Friedman is adament that Kuemper will return a first rounder at minimum.

Well, that seems like a stretch considering how many goalies are already on the market. I'm sure the Yotes would love that, since they're fresh out of 1st rounders for the next 2 years, but I don't see it in such a buyer's market.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Does Calgary have the assets to acquire OEL and Kuemper in 1 deal?
Coyotes would be looking for contracts that are relatively cheap for the player’s production. Johnny is exactly that guy. Plus, he’s a star, who is fun to watch.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Ughhh no...

Calgary needs another game-breaking forward to take pressure of Johnny. If they are going all in, they should be looking at signing Hall and, if they are giving up big future assets, acquiring a RW.

The only game they had a defensive collapse in the entire playoffs was the last game. Other than that 3 of the games they lost to Dallas were very tight.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Coyotes would be looking for contracts that are relatively cheap for the player’s production. Johnny is exactly that guy. Plus, he’s a star, who is fun to watch.

I was thinking more in terms of futures as that would require a ton of futures.But yes Johnny hockey could be part of a deal

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Colorado should be calling if those two are available, they have the young assets and cap space to make it happen. OEL-Makar pairing would be awesome.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Well, that seems like a stretch considering how many goalies are already on the market. I'm sure the Yotes would love that, since they're fresh out of 1st rounders for the next 2 years, but I don't see it in such a buyer's market.

Crowded market for sure but Kuemper has been the best goalie in the NHL since Jan 2019, both in GAA and SV%.

Bond

May 10, 2012
Gaudreau or Monahan involved in any trade for Kuemper/OEL is a no go.

Bond

May 10, 2012
His contract scares me as well. That is a lot of cap if he doesn't return to being a #1 which he hasn't looked like in a bit.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Rick Tocchet is a scam. Kuemper was facing 40-plus shots every playoff game. A lot of high danger ones too.

Are we not forgetting a couple seasons of .925 - .930 sv%?

Kuemper just isn’t that good and it will show if he gets traded to a team with less defensive structure.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I'm saying there isn't a defensive structure. Look at shot differentials in both the Nashville and Colorado playoff series. Just because Arizona doesn't play offensively doesn't mean they play defensively. Tocchet's entire system is illogical.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad