Friedman: 'Wouldn't be surprised if Flames are interested in OEL and Kuemper'

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Why would Arizona trade Kuemper?

He was one of the main reasons why the Coyotes were even in a playoff spot this season.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
I would be wary of trading for Kuemper. I think is numbers are largely based on playing behind a very good defensive system.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I would be wary of trading for Kuemper. I think is numbers are largely based on playing behind a very good defensive system.

Rick Tocchet is a scam. Kuemper was facing 40-plus shots every playoff game. A lot of high danger ones too.

Reactions: NB613

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Elliotte Friedman: Vegas' goalie situation, player tracking technology and Ekman-Larsson's future - Sportsnet.ca

Around the 18 minute mark from yesterday's show.

So what are you offering Flames fans?

Friedman is adament that Kuemper will return a first rounder at minimum.

I don't see this, Oliver Ekman-Larsson's cap hit is too much and Darcy Kuemper is 30 years old. And this does not solve the Flames need for a #1 center and how will the cap work for the Flames?

This is just Elliotte Friedman throwing shit at the wall and see what sticks.

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016
The Flames don’t really have the assets to make that trade do they? Unless they trade a good young roster player.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Fair to say that if the Flames don't make a step next year that Treliving is done? So he may be a little more all-in this offseason?

I think it is fair to say that but one of big issues was that Ken King(RIP) was too involved in the on ice player personnel decsisions.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Hahahahaha! Did you watch any of their playoff games? They’re a tire fire defensively. Their entire defense revolves around closing their eyes and praying that Kuemper can stop 44 of 45 shots against.

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
If they are actually trying to do this, Arizona is Ottowa 2.0.

Look at OEL's salary for the next three years.

Kuemper's is also above his AAV, and without him, Arizona is a team... maybe...

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
The Flames don’t really have the assets to make that trade do they? Unless they trade a good young roster player.

that's nearly 13 million in salary, and 19 for Kuemper is fair-ish value, I suppose.

I'd guess they'd offer something along the lines of Hanifin+Ryan+19th+2021 2nd and maybe a prospect like Phillips or something, but that would basically be it for Flames moves this offseason.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
If they are actually trying to do this, Arizona is Ottowa 2.0.

Look at OEL's salary for the next three years.

Kuemper's is also above his AAV, and without him, Arizona is a team... maybe...
Arizona has no draft picks, no future, and no way out of mediocrity. They need to acquire younger assets and attempt to supplement what young talent they still have. The team as constructed will never contend.

So, having said all of that, what are their two best trade chips over 25? That’s right, OEL and Kuemper. It’s pretty easy to figure.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Kuemper is definitely not a product of the Coyotes. He's always been a very talented goaltender that's struggled more with the mental aspect of the position. He can stand on his head behind a bad defense and stop 40+ saves, or he could give up one and it'll cascade into four. As he's gotten older he's gotten more consistent, but he's still not 100% there, and might never be. He's still a better option than Rittich or Talbot in my opinion.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
There will be a million decent goalies available this year because of the expansion draft and limited protections. I really would not want to give up a 1st for Kuemper.

Reactions: DomBarr

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
There will be a million decent goalies available this year because of the expansion draft and limited protections. I really would not want to give up a 1st for Kuemper.
This there will be a team that will give up a 1st for him but it shouldn't be Calgary...high end goalie who is going to be looking for term and cash next season is not a need for the Flames

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad