Would you wear this cage in a game?

Scott Hall

The Bad Guy
Jul 11, 2008
Let's hope they don't let Scott Gomez join the C league I play in!

Lol, at the rate he's scoring, he just might be sent to a C-League to find his game.

As for your question, I used to play with a half shield visor, lost a tooth after a careless player got me in the face. I switched to a cage, hated it (especially since I play C, I find that it gets in my way for face-offs) - moved to the hybrid cage and shield combo and loved it. Aside from the extra weight on the helmet (dragging it forward and downward), I love it and my face has been safe - even took a puck off the mouth area of the combo cage and lived to tell about it :)

Preisst*

Jun 11, 2008
Western Canada
Thanks, I wish I had the courage/confidence to go without.

I grew up playing without a cage or visor and that is what I am accustomed to. I honestly do not feel at risk playing without one and I play a lot of hockey. I suspect if I grew up having to wear one I would think the same as you.

I have played with both a visor and a cage [in my last year of midget hockey they were made mandatory] and I could not stand either. Vision issues, fogging issues, gave me headaches, they drove me crazy. :cheers: to you finding something that works for you.

edit : lol I'm actually starting to get a headache again just thinking about wearing those frigging things

Last edited:

OpenIceHit42

May 27, 2011
STL
Not a chance bro. Your are going to be chirped like no tomorrow.

I know a guy that wears a cage but he cut the bars off right in front of his eyes for better vision. I wear a cage as well (went back and forth between visor/cage) and have no problems seeing.

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
Something kind of funny.

360-fit.jpg

Would you really want Sidney Crosby as a spokesman for your high-end helmet?! If one of the best players in the world is out for a year from a concussion while wearing your helmet you should distribute new advertisements.

".....kind of funny." This is not funny at all! Crosby's concussion/neck issues aren't related to what helmet he wore/wears.

Droid6

Feb 7, 2012
Norfolk, VA
".....kind of funny." This is not funny at all! Crosby's concussion/neck issues aren't related to what helmet he wore/wears.

Obviously you have no sense of irony. The guys been out for a year with a concussion and he's advertising a helmet, it's kind of funny.

Stickmata

Aug 30, 2011
Obviously you have no sense of irony. The guys been out for a year with a concussion and he's advertising a helmet, it's kind of funny.

Except the fact that helmets have little to nothing to do with protecting you from a concussion. Helmets are intended to prevent skull fractures and intercranial bleeding. They aren't intended to prevent concussions, nor can they have much of any impact on those injuries. As has been beaten to death on these boards, concussions are caused by the brain moving inside the skull. Helmets do very little to slow/lessen that movement.

Stickmata

Aug 30, 2011
My biggest gripe with any type of shield as mentioned earlier is scuffing, does anyone have any advice on getting the out. If I can get around that I think I may go for the combo.

Get a new shield, then get a helmet bag and keep your helmet in it every second it is not on your head. You'll find the number of scuffs on your shield will go down dramatically. I'm wearing a year and a half old Oakley half shield and it has one minor scuff on it because I keep it in a bag.

noobman

Nov 28, 2007
The visibility must be awesome but I wouldn't consider it very safe. You might as well not be wearing a facemask at that point.

Droid6

Feb 7, 2012
Norfolk, VA
Except the fact that helmets have little to nothing to do with protecting you from a concussion. Helmets are intended to prevent skull fractures and intercranial bleeding. They aren't intended to prevent concussions, nor can they have much of any impact on those injuries. As has been beaten to death on these boards, concussions are caused by the brain moving inside the skull. Helmets do very little to slow/lessen that movement.

I understand that, I believe he got hit in the jaw area when he suffered his first injury. Going by general perception I still find it kind of funny. I'm not very scientific with my sense of humor, if I was there wouldn't be much left. :D

Droid6

Feb 7, 2012
Norfolk, VA
Get a new shield, then get a helmet bag and keep your helmet in it every second it is not on your head. You'll find the number of scuffs on your shield will go down dramatically. I'm wearing a year and a half old Oakley half shield and it has one minor scuff on it because I keep it in a bag.

I think I'm going to check out some cages today, there are a few that are highly recommended, maybe I can get lucky and find one that I can bare. If not I'm going to go with the combo visor.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Go with the Bauer 9950 or whatever it's called now. It's about $60. That's nothing. That's 1/100th of my insurance deductible for instance. Or half of an urgent care copay. The bars are half 1/2 the size of cheap cages and the chrome is non-distracting. Wear it for two games and you'll have adjusted.

Congo

Sep 22, 2007
That thing isn't even shown on Rebellion Hockey's website, so I'm going to out on a limb and say I don't think it's for hockey. I think that's a lacrosse cage.

Just wear a normal cage. It will stop pucks, sticks and stick blade. The cage you want to wear is going to stop pucks and sticks, but a stick blade or butt end can still fly straight into your eye untouched. The "improved vision" of the fewer bars isn't worth losing an eye.

Skarjak

Sep 8, 2010
Toronto
Hey guys, would you wear this cage in a game?

Debordeaux-bulldog-wire-dog-muzzle_LRG.jpg

Awesome post.:laugh:

This mask is so bad you'll get chirped by your own team all game long.

I don't understand people who complain about lack of visibility with cages. I'm a goalie. My mask's bars are about twice as thick as the ones on your cage. I can see perfectly. You don't think that goalies are in a position where it's pretty critical to see well?

I think people just don't want to get used to the cage. I don't see it at all when I'm playing.

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
Awesome post.:laugh:

This mask is so bad you'll get chirped by your own team all game long.

I don't understand people who complain about lack of visibility with cages. I'm a goalie. My mask's bars are about twice as thick as the ones on your cage. I can see perfectly. You don't think that goalies are in a position where it's pretty critical to see well?

I think people just don't want to get used to the cage. I don't see it at all when I'm playing.

Yeah this. I recently switched from a certified cat-eye cage to a senior cat-eye and I haven't noticed any difference in my vision at all.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I'll give you the crap cages from 20 years ago with black bars 1/4" thick. Or any black cage for that matter. When I started up again as an adult, my buddy gave me his cage from the Bauer 1500 combo and I used it for one game and took it off. Just felt like looking through a screen door.

Bounced back and forth between nothing and a visor (because visors looked cool), but it kept fogging up and it was distorted and disorienting.

Got a decent Bauer cage and never had an issue. Didn't notice after about 5-10 minutes. And then upgraded to the 9900 cage after the original rusted out and it was even lighter and thinner.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Go with the Bauer 9950 or whatever it's called now. It's about $60. That's nothing. That's 1/100th of my insurance deductible for instance. Or half of an urgent care copay. The bars are half 1/2 the size of cheap cages and the chrome is non-distracting. Wear it for two games and you'll have adjusted.

You need better insurance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad