Would you wear this cage in a game?

capebretoncanadien

Nov 29, 2008
Wow that is super ugly. No way would I ever wear it. Stick with the normal cage you'll get used to it after awhile.

Droid6

Feb 7, 2012
Norfolk, VA
Wow that is super ugly. No way would I ever wear it. Stick with the normal cage you'll get used to it after awhile.

I don't care about looks. I could never go back to a cage, if I don't stick with this I'll go back to my full visor and just deal with opening it between shifts to get air in there.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
Have you looked at a combo shield?

hockeymonkey_2192_18271158

Might be the best of both worlds for you. Although i don't know if the 50-60$ price tag is an issue or not

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
Yeah, that looks good but I dropped $50 on this one already.

hockeygiant_2193_71057171

Ok,

What i don't understand is that from the people I know who own combo shields they don't tend to fog up as quickly or at all compared to the full shields.

However, by comparing the two, the ventilation seems to be exactly the same.

I've had a cage, switched to a shield and hated it so i went back to a cage. When you a nasty high stick in the face. The paint marks on your shield is like Chinese water torture until you can buff it out :(

Droid6

Feb 7, 2012
Norfolk, VA
Ok,

What i don't understand is that from the people I know who own combo shields they don't tend to fog up as quickly or at all compared to the full shields.

However, by comparing the two, the ventilation seems to be exactly the same.

I've had a cage, switched to a shield and hated it so i went back to a cage. When you a nasty high stick in the face. The paint marks on your shield is like Chinese water torture until you can buff it out :(

Yeah, the ventilation seems the same in the picture but all that extra plastic really suffocates you when you're sitting on the bench. You're right about scuffs, I hate them and i feel the same way about the bars in my line of sight wearing a cage. I may just break down and drop some cash on the visor combo. I probably shouldn't even wear the cat eye cage, not because of injury but because I may not be able to go back after having all that visibility!

Droid6

Feb 7, 2012
Norfolk, VA
You asked if anyone would wear it, everyone says no and you seem to be getting a bit defensive.

I promise you I'm not and expected everyone to say no but I am a little surprised how many people care what a piece of gear looks like. If oven mitts made be play better and have more fun playing, I'd be wearing oven mitts out there.

capebretoncanadien

Nov 29, 2008
I don't care about looks. I could never go back to a cage, if I don't stick with this I'll go back to my full visor and just deal with opening it between shifts to get air in there.

Well to each their own.

I don't know how much time you've spent with a normal cage on but I find you don't even see the bars once you get used to them.

I feel bad for you cause you're going to take tons of abuse for that monstrosity if you do decide to go with it.

Preisst*

Jun 11, 2008
Western Canada
I wouldn't wear it but thats only cuz I don't wear any cage or visor. Other than that go for it. It would provide some protection if thats a concern, who cares what it looks like and who cares even less what others think about it.

Droid6

Feb 7, 2012
Norfolk, VA
I wouldn't wear it but thats only cuz I don't wear any cage or visor. Other than that go for it. It would provide some protection if thats a concern, who cares what it looks like and who cares even less what others think about it.

Thanks, I wish I had the courage/confidence to go without.

mhkehoe

Nov 18, 2010
It is incredibly ugly, but that didn't stop me from wearing the Itech/Bauer Recon fishbowl.

There is no chance I would wear that thing. It is better than nothing at all, but there are tons of holes in it that would allow a puck or stick through. I don't want to say it is worse than wearing nothing at all, but at least in that situation, you don't have any false sense of security and are always playing defensively.

The Bauer 9900 cage is fantastic (if you change your mind on wearing a cage), and has the best vision of any cage. I would even go as far as saying it is better than the fishbowl/combo with pucks in your feet (still not as good as visor obviously).

Problem I always had with any visor (full or half) is the ventilation. I get so much sweat in my eyes, and with a cage it happens far less.

Stickmata

Aug 30, 2011
I have seen guys wearing that cage on the ice. And I think it's almost worthless. I would never wear it. I'd rather lose a few teeth than one of my eyes.

Droid6

Feb 7, 2012
Norfolk, VA
I have seen guys wearing that cage on the ice. And I think it's almost worthless. I would never wear it. I'd rather lose a few teeth than one of my eyes.

A guy in my rec league didn't wear anything took a slap shot to the eye and lost it. That's a big reason I would never wear nothing, this thing will stop a puck to the eye, my concern would be taking a stick to the eye which would most likely result in some stitches but you never know. I think ultimately I'm going to go with one of the suggestions given here but I wish there was an option that suited me better. Maybe I'll buy a welder and design something better!

Droid6

Feb 7, 2012
Norfolk, VA
Something kind of funny.

360-fit.jpg

Would you really want Sidney Crosby as a spokesman for your high-end helmet?! If one of the best players in the world is out for a year from a concussion while wearing your helmet you should distribute new advertisements.

OneMoreAstronaut

Reduce chainsaw size
May 3, 2003
The bars seem so separated and unsupportive of each other that even if a puck can't technically fit through them, I have the feeling that if you took one in just the right place you'd have a few bent bars and one splattered eyeball.

Droid6

Feb 7, 2012
Norfolk, VA
The bars seem so separated and unsupportive of each other that even if a puck can't technically fit through them, I have the feeling that if you took one in just the right place you'd have a few bent bars and one splattered eyeball.

Let's hope they don't let Scott Gomez join the C league I play in!

Stickmata

Aug 30, 2011
A guy in my rec league didn't wear anything took a slap shot to the eye and lost it. That's a big reason I would never wear nothing, this thing will stop a puck to the eye, my concern would be taking a stick to the eye which would most likely result in some stitches but you never know. I think ultimately I'm going to go with one of the suggestions given here but I wish there was an option that suited me better. Maybe I'll buy a welder and design something better!

The likelihood of getting a stick in the face is way higher than getting a puck to the face. My experience is probably at least 10-1. I wear a long half shield, adjusted close to the face. I too tried the full shield and found it to be way too hot and I also found the vents at the top got in the way of my vision when I had my head down and tried to look up ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad