Would you want Joe back?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FTOREKBENCHTOSS

Mar 11, 2013
Hell yes bring Joe back if you can. Obviously its a hypothetical so no need to nitpick terms and anger towards the franchise.

He may not be a beast in the playoffs but then again i recall a certain playoff series last year with all the games being won by one goal. So it doesn't matter how many goals you get, just when you get them.

And as far as playoff stats go , there is the case of Krejci who has been a beast in the playoffs but is pretty ready to be traded at the drop of a hat around here.

ksp1957

Apr 11, 2006
South Shore
Joe 'Baby Huey' Thornton ? :laugh: You have GOT to be kidding me. We won a Cup with him playing for the Sharks where we would NEVER have won it with him on our team. Nice guy, good player, but not a winner. The Sharks can keep him.

MTaylorJ1

Sep 20, 2006
Joe 'Baby Huey' Thornton ? :laugh: You have GOT to be kidding me. We won a Cup with him playing for the Sharks where we would NEVER have won it with him on our team. Nice guy, good player, but not a winner. The Sharks can keep him.

That cup had a lot to do with Thomas and a great deal to do with Chara and Seidenberg. You can make some arguments (I don't buy them) that Thornton allowed them to sign Chara (whereas all I think it allowed them to do was bring in Savard), but could this team have won at least a cup with Thornton-Chara-Thomas/Rask? Absolutely.

FTOREKBENCHTOSS

Mar 11, 2013
I think Joe takes alot of the blame for an orgnaziation that at the time had plenty of issues that weren't all him.

That pretty much sums it all up nicely, He became the scapegoat for a lot of crap that was happening. I think there is a lot of anger attached to him because of what he was traded for as well. I think if the Bruins actually got pieces back in that trade that were actually fair alot of the Thornton hate would have been different.

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
I think Joe takes alot of the blame for an orgnaziation that at the time had plenty of issues that weren't all him.

For sure he does. But while his playoff stats are decent, they should be better for a guy with his skill set & size.

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
For sure he does. But while his playoff stats are decent, they should be better for a guy with his skill set & size.

Oh, I agree. I just think he gets more than he deserves. Especially for the blown 3-1 playoff series against Montreal. The guy shouldn't have been playing. Sean O'Donnel said as much IIRC in his book.
Too many people wanted to leave it all at Joe's feet.

Gordon Lightfoot

Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
Oh, I agree. I just think he gets more than he deserves. Especially for the blown 3-1 playoff series against Montreal. The guy shouldn't have been playing. Sean O'Donnel said as much IIRC in his book.
Too many people wanted to leave it all at Joe's feet.

True. And it only adds to the perception since the Sharks have been in contention for years and... I think the furthest they have advanced is the WC Finals.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Now you are talking,HE plays for Name on front jersey.

lol what? Wasn't he benched/nearly stripped of the C in the last couple years? His playoff numbers are no better than Joe's by the way and he put up a big 0 in last year's early exit. But hey I guess because he scores goals instead of gifting them to his teammates that means he cares more about the team than the other guy.

Gordon Lightfoot

Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
lol what? Wasn't he benched/nearly stripped of the C in the last couple years? His playoff numbers are no better than Joe's by the way and he put up a big 0 in last year's early exit. But hey I guess because he scores goals instead of gifting them to his teammates that means he cares more about the team than the other guy.

People have strange reasoning sometimes. I don't know how you can look at Thornton and Marleau and decide one of them plays for the team and the other plays for himself.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
If the Kelly injury is serious, would you want Joe Thornton back?

If he doesn't fit into the cap next year, just buy him out and he ends up costing about $7-8M for this season. Not that outrageous, considering that's not much more than he would have cost if he was here all year. Plus, it's not my money.

Seguin - Thornton - Lucic
Marchand - Bergeron - Peverley/Krejci
Horton - Peverley/Krejci - Paille

Ideally we would add another forward or the Kelly injury wouldn't be severe.

If San Jose starts to faulter more, I wonder what it would take to get him. San Jose could always resign him if the Bruins were to buy him out. What would you offer?

why on earth would he get bought out? if he doesnt fit the salary cap just trade him again.

i am pretty damn sure that if he goes on the market that there will be at least 5-6 teams that would jump all over him.

Toronto and Edmonton are two that I know of that want a big scoring top two line center. So the cost to acquire Joe would be high.

He has a very questionable track record of stepping it up at playoff time. You are suggesting this move would be aimed only at this season... these playoffs basically. It doesnt make much sense to pick someone up for the playoffs that has a long proven history of wiltering in preasure situations.

i think if i need a regular season top line center then for sure id take Joe back. he doesnt super suck at playoff time and hes pretty damn good in regular season. if i needed him then id make an offer.

we dont need a regular season top 2 line center though. Bergeron and Krecji both play a more well rounded game and Seguin is just itching to get his first extended trial in the middle too.

If you were talking about a proven playoff warrior like Messier or Yzerman or Sakic then absolutely you make room for a guy like that... Thornton isnt in that class of player and has never been in that class and will never be in that class.

Let Edmonton or Toronto pony up for him if he really does end up getting moved

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
To sum it up. I would take Joe back in a heart beat. But he left Boston by force of the media and Moc. He loved Boston, but was screwed over. The guy is a legit number one guy who can single handedly change a power play like savard did.

But I never see him accepting a move here until maybe his last hurrah in the league.

The playoff no sho argument is laughable. Thank god Thomas dragged our ***** to the cup finals otherwise our team would be known as a bunch of playoff chokers. 3 out of the last 4 years we should of made it to at least the conference finals but we lost to teams we should have beat handily. Hardly screams a team of playoff warriors.

the overrated

wicked overrated
Jul 13, 2006
Suburbia
To sum it up. I would take Joe back in a heart beat. But he left Boston by force of the media and Moc. He loved Boston, but was screwed over. The guy is a legit number one guy who can single handedly change a power play like savard did.

But I never see him accepting a move here until maybe his last hurrah in the league.

The playoff no sho argument is laughable. Thank god Thomas dragged our ***** to the cup finals otherwise our team would be known as a bunch of playoff chokers. 3 out of the last 4 years we should of made it to at least the conference finals but we lost to teams we should have beat handily. Hardly screams a team of playoff warriors.

Agreed. "Playoff choker" Joe Thornton had more points in 5 playoff games last year than Bergeron & Marchand did, combined, in a 7 game series.

And since going to the Sharks, he's had a better PPG average in the postseason than warriors such as Lucic, Bergeron, & Krejci.

patty59

Apr 6, 2008
Lethbridge, Alberta
...You serious, Clark?

images

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
Agreed. "Playoff choker" Joe Thornton had more points in 5 playoff games last year than Bergeron & Marchand did, combined, in a 7 game series.

And since going to the Sharks, he's had a better PPG average in the postseason than warriors such as Lucic, Bergeron, & Krejci.

Yet they have one more ring than he does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad