Would you want Joe back?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RunFromTheBear

Jun 20, 2010
I just.... This place

Gotham City had The Dent Act. We need The Thornton Act here. Anyone found guilty of starting a Thornton thread goes to Black Gate prison or has to walk on thin ice.

It's a message board, we are here for discussion and entertainment.

I think he fits, doesn't matter if he is a former Bruin or not. His cap hit fits THIS YEAR, and he is an easy buy out if Jacobs wanted to spend the coin. I would be ecstatic if Jacobs was willing to do this to get a PPG player.

He would make the powerplay better...Seguin, Hamilton, Thornton, fill in the blanks on the other two spots.

If Kelly is going to be out for an extended period of time, it would be nice to add a center. You can never have too many centers, they can easily transition to the wing, not so easy if you need to transition a wing to center.

As for the playoffs:
Thornton = 87 points in 114 playoff games
Krejci/Bergeron combined = 89 points in 120 playoff games

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Um, like Joe, betcha he`d take on the identity of this team if he were brought on board immediately so yes

My biggest hesitation is, how would he be playing more of a complimentary role?

MTaylorJ1

Sep 20, 2006
Would I want him back? At the right price, absolutely. Foolish to even think otherwise.

Would he waive his NMC for Boston? Absolutely not.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

I think he fits, doesn't matter if he is a former Bruin or not. His cap hit fits THIS YEAR, and he is an easy buy out if Jacobs wanted to spend the coin. I would be ecstatic if Jacobs was willing to do this to get a PPG player.

He would make the powerplay better...Seguin, Hamilton, Thornton, fill in the blanks on the other two spots.

If Kelly is going to be out for an extended period of time, it would be nice to add a center. You can never have too many centers, they can easily transition to the wing, not so easy if you need to transition a wing to center.

As for the playoffs:

The big questions to ask are would he want to come back, and would the B's want him? To me, it's a very obvious answer on both fronts. They wouldn't want him back and he wouldn't want to come. It didn't end well last time, and I can't see him letting bygones be bygones. Case closed.

Love the actual numbers though. It's so funny when people call the guy a no show for the playoffs, and then you see the real stats and it doesn't hold up...:laugh:

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA

As for the playoffs:

Thanks for the scoop.

This has been done and done again. :deadhorse

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
What would it take to pry Crosby from Pittsburgh?

With Geno out of the lineup again, the Pens will likely be sellers :sarcasm:

OP, I get where you're coming from, and this is an academic setting where we throw ideas around and see what sticks, but it ain't happening.

RunFromTheBear

Jun 20, 2010
What would it take to pry Crosby from Pittsburgh?

With Geno out of the lineup again, the Pens will likely be sellers :sarcasm:

OP, I get where you're coming from, and this is an academic setting where we throw ideas around and see what sticks, but it ain't happening.

Besides the fact that Crosby doesn't fit it to the cap, would be impossible to buyout, the Penguins are arguably the second best team in the east, would take probably 5x the picks/prospects to get him, fits into his teams cap next year and is the face of the NHL, Crosby makes a lot of sense.

The only reason Thornton doesn't fit is because his name is Joe Thornton.

Are there any other players with:
- A PPG average
- High salary
- 1 year left on deal
- On a team that is in cap trouble for next year
- ***Out of a playoff spot*** I'm aware San Jose isnt at that point yet
- Would have no impact on the cap next year because we could buy them out
- Wouldn't take a massive haul of players/picks to acquire

I didn't say "oh let me go look for a former Bruins player", I looked for an impact player that we could possibly get at a discount for eating some cash, but wouldn't be a long term hinderence. He fits, he just happens to be Joe Thornton.

In all seriousness, are there any other guys out there like this?

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Well... Someone had to one up the sobotka thread... Well done

no way, I'm going to keep it going because I know how obsessed you are with him:laugh: (lets face it you can't post without referring to him) admit it you :heart:

was it the Scott hit, the hat trick, six goals in 5 games, Hitchcock calling him the Blues best forward to date, or the Suter bulldozer shot last week

or does he remind you of Stevie Heinze

make me some money will yah, I got some coin on you this month:naughty:

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
The only reason Thornton doesn't fit is because his name is Joe Thornton.

Are there any other players with:
- A PPG average
- High salary
- 1 year left on deal
- On a team that is in cap trouble for next year
- ***Out of a playoff spot*** I'm aware San Jose isnt at that point yet
Right, so why would they give up now?
- Would have no impact on the cap next year because we could buy them out
So could SJ. They could also buy someone else out or trade someone else to get cap complaint.
- Wouldn't take a massive haul of players/picks to acquire
How do you know?

\

Clode

patty59

Apr 6, 2008
Lethbridge, Alberta
This guy?

tinman_joe.jpg

Shoebottom

Bruin exiting lair
Aug 31, 2005
7 steps from my can
If the Kelly injury is serious, would you want Joe Thornton back?

If he doesn't fit into the cap next year, just buy him out and he ends up costing about $7-8M for this season. Not that outrageous, considering that's not much more than he would have cost if he was here all year. Plus, it's not my money.

Seguin - Thornton - Lucic
Marchand - Bergeron - Peverley/Krejci
Horton - Peverley/Krejci - Paille

Ideally we would add another forward or the Kelly injury wouldn't be severe.

If San Jose starts to faulter more, I wonder what it would take to get him. San Jose could always resign him if the Bruins were to buy him out. What would you offer?

Not that I want him back, but why do you have to buy him out? I'm sure you'd be able to find a team that wants him. Ever since the buy out rule came into effect, seems like all some posters want to do is buy out contacts.

Minny Shinny

Dec 23, 2011
probably at the airport

true.

Problem is, where can this discussion really lead?

HFmember1: Great numbers, help with our depth.
HFmember2: Yeah, but that NMC, he won't come back to Boston.
HFmember1: True.

Then what?

It's just that it's been discussed ad nauseaum and frankly...there's not much depth to any conversation about the topic anymore. People then get snarky because it simply gets tiresome to repeat it over and over again.

MTaylorJ1

Sep 20, 2006
It's funny, all the no heart and tin man comments. Joe was in the conference finals the same year we won the cup, on a team that not only didn't get historic goaltending, but goalies that put up a 3.00/.900.

Wonder how we'd think of all our bravehearted warrior skaters if our goalies managed that sort of production that year.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
what is with all the people saying "NO, he left on bad terms". WTF does that have to do with anything? There is literally nobody left from the management team that traded Joe. The only leftover part of the franchise from Joe's time here is Jacobs and I suspect Jacobs doesn't even know who Joe Thornton is, and Thornton wouldn't have an issue getting paid by him. The Chia/Neely/Julien regime has made this a totally different place to play so it is asinine to suggest that Thornton would have some kind of bad blood here in either direction.

Now this whole scenario is obviously wildly unrealistic simply because it's not the kind of move Chia would make, but hypothetically if we could have him back without giving up a roster player then yes I'd do it in a heartbeat. As others have said, Thornton as another piece of the puzzle instead of being THE piece of the puzzle would be a very useful player to have. He still puts up points, is good on the PP, can kill penalties, would instantly be our 2nd best faceoff guy (on a good faceoff team), is strong defensively, gives us extra size, and contrary to popular belief he has shown up in the playoffs for the last few years.

Oh yeah and take your pick as to who he lines up with...on a full-season pace he makes Seguin a 50 goal scorer. Or you could put him with Lucic/Horton for the new 700lb. line and have him make both guys 40 goal scorers. Joe is legit, but like anyone else who is traded away (aside from Bourque), people have to turn him into a pariah in order to accept the trade.

patty59

Apr 6, 2008
Lethbridge, Alberta
It's funny, all the no heart and tin man comments. Joe was in the conference finals the same year we won the cup, on a team that not only didn't get historic goaltending, but goalies that put up a 3.00/.900.

Wonder how we'd think of all our bravehearted warrior skaters if our goalies managed that sort of production that year.

Ya, you're right. Let's get him for his known playoff heroics. :sarcasm:

patty59

Apr 6, 2008
Lethbridge, Alberta
what is with all the people saying "NO, he left on bad terms". WTF does that have to do with anything? There is literally nobody left from the management team that traded Joe. The only leftover part of the franchise from Joe's time here is Jacobs and I suspect Jacobs doesn't even know who Joe Thornton is, and Thornton wouldn't have an issue getting paid by him. The Chia/Neely/Julien regime has made this a totally different place to play so it is asinine to suggest that Thornton would have some kind of bad blood here in either direction.

Now this whole scenario is obviously wildly unrealistic simply because it's not the kind of move Chia would make, but hypothetically if we could have him back without giving up a roster player then yes I'd do it in a heartbeat. As others have said, Thornton as another piece of the puzzle instead of being THE piece of the puzzle would be a very useful player to have. He still puts up points, is good on the PP, can kill penalties, would instantly be our 2nd best faceoff guy (on a good faceoff team), is strong defensively, gives us extra size, and contrary to popular belief he has shown up in the playoffs for the last few years.

Oh yeah and take your pick as to who he lines up with...on a full-season pace he makes Seguin a 50 goal scorer. Or you could put him with Lucic/Horton for the new 700lb. line and have him make both guys 40 goal scorers. Joe is legit, but like anyone else who is traded away (aside from Bourque), people have to turn him into a pariah in order to accept the trade.

A legit what, exactly? His playoff numbers dip 25% from his reg season numbers.

The ship has sailed.

the overrated

wicked overrated
Jul 13, 2006
Suburbia
Thornton's been nearly a PPG post-season player since going to San Jose ... it slays me that the "he's a no show in the playoffs" meme still exists. He hasn't been the best player, but he's not the "full Thornton" joke that KPD has run into the ground, either. Put him in a complimentary role, like he'd have in Boston, and his #'s would be more than good enough.

With that said, MTaylorJ1 took the words out of my mouth a bit earlier:

Would I want him back? At the right price, absolutely. Foolish to even think otherwise.

Would he waive his NMC for Boston? Absolutely not.

ProdigalFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 2, 2011
Mansfield, MA
Jeez, when I first saw this I thought you meant Corvo. ;)

Hey, the tattooed wonder is 3-6 and a +7, better than all our D except for Z and Dougie (although Dougie is a -3 right now)

:sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm:

The Dangly One

Dangle dangle goal
Jun 13, 2011
no way, I'm going to keep it going because I know how obsessed you are with him:laugh: (lets face it you can't post without referring to him) admit it you :heart:

was it the Scott hit, the hat trick, six goals in 5 games, Hitchcock calling him the Blues best forward to date, or the Suter bulldozer shot last week

or does he remind you of Stevie Heinze

make me some money will yah, I got some coin on you this month:naughty:

I'll let you sweat me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad