Would you trade Zetterberg if you can?

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
That Zetterberg recapture is not a big deal.

Let's say he is traded this season, goes for a contender and then retires. Red Wings will get a recapture penalty of 5.1million for 2 seasons.

So?

Replace him with Rasmussen ELC and it will cost the same 5.1M + 925k = 6.0M.

Basicly, trading Zetterberg will keep the salary cap things same, with or without him.

But he can land extra 1st rounders. That's a huge positive if he is dealt.

Also team will get weakened, so our our own 1st rounder will be higher.

It would be a rebuild-rebuild-rebuild move.

And it would be a way to guarantee that you play in an empty barn this year... in the first year of a new arena.

And while his play could/should easily be worth a couple firsts and a pretty good prospect... no team is gonna give you that in the currently youth-obsessed NHL for a guy in his late 30s with a creaky back.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
I'm not sure holding your franchise player hostage to the tank patrol is better than the wrath of recapture.

Then maybe that player shouldn't have a signed a 12-year deal? It's not going to be a problem anyway because Zetterberg won't ask for a trade.

That Zetterberg recapture is not a big deal. Let's say he is traded this season, goes for a contender and then retires. Red Wings will get a recapture penalty of 5.1million for 2 seasons.

So?

Replace him with Rasmussen ELC and it will cost the same 5.1M + 925k = 6.0M.

Basicly, trading Zetterberg will keep the salary cap things same, with or without him.

But he can land extra 1st rounders. That's a huge positive if he is dealt.

Also team will get weakened, so our our own 1st rounder will be higher.

It would be a rebuild-rebuild-rebuild move.

That's a good idea if you're a general manager looking to get fired.

Last edited:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
NHL for a guy in his late 30s with a creaky back.

This back thing is pretty funny. Something like 3-4 year old news?

Zetterberg has not missed a single game for almost 3 years. He has missed 5 games since the back surgery, at 2014-15 season, and that wasn't because of the back. He is our least injury-prone guy since 2015.

It's like calling for the Yellowstone super-volcano to blow up. Some day it will blow up! Just like Zertterberg back is gonna break for two pieces!

Reactions: avssuc

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border
Then maybe that player shouldn't have a signed a 12-year deal? It's not going to be a problem anyway because Zetterberg won't ask for a trade.

The extra pair of seasons at 1 million a piece were tacked on to lower the cap hit. Everyone knew it at the time and Zetterberg reportedly admitted it during the summer.

Just look at Hossa, his contract tanks to $1 mil per and he's done.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
And it would be a way to guarantee that you play in an empty barn this year... in the first year of a new arena.
They're already having attendance issues, and it's barely a month into the inaugural season. Fans are finally starting to hold these jokers accountable, so I don't know that having or not having Hank will make a huge difference.

And while his play could/should easily be worth a couple firsts and a pretty good prospect... no team is gonna give you that in the currently youth-obsessed NHL for a guy in his late 30s with a creaky back.
Agreed, but it only takes one goofball willing to overpay to make it happen (hypothetically).

Reactions: avssuc

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017

Since when?
Teams will almost overpay for a great player like Z.

StargateSG1

Nov 26, 2016
not for someone at age 37 who still has 3 years on his contract after this season with a 6 mil cap hit
How much would he be worth to Babcock for 2 playoff runs and next season.
Assuming he "retires" after.
You are getting stuck with recapture anyway, might as well have something to show for it, like Nylander, for example.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Of course this is Zetterberg’s call to make, so any argument for trading him is premised on him being open to it.

But worrying about his recapture is silly if you’re trading Z. If you’re trading Z, you’re going for a bare bones rebuild. What happens after these next 3.8 years doesn’t even need to factor in consideration of landing the second coming of Lidstrom because Z’s contract/recapture would expire the same time Dahlin or the like is up for renewal. You also have Nyquist, Howard, Ericsson, Kronwall, Green, Daley, and Mrazek off the books in 2.8 years at the latest. Again, if you’re trading Z, you’re fully embracing the rebuild - you aren’t going out and bidding on this 2019’s Mike Green or 2020’s Frans Nielsen or re-signing Jensen to a 5 year, $6M deal because he’s your nieces best friend’s boyfriend.

I also think the only teams interested in Zetterberg will be teams desperate to make use of their closing window of contending. To me, that's pretty much only St. Louis and Washington - two teams who have been in their prime for contending but have fallen short for a while now.

For Washington, I think you're looking at Zetterberg for Orpik + 1st, Orpik being the cap dump. I would offer retention on Zetterberg (up to $1.5M) and anyone from XO to Daley if I thought it would land us Bowey as well. I'd be willing to take on Eller as another cap dump to make a Zetterberg + defenseman swap work for a 1st and Bowey (along with Orpik and Eller as cap dumps).

For STL, I'd offer Z for a 1st or expand it to a retained Z and a retained Howard (Allen insurance) for a 1st and Dunn.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
You are getting stuck with recapture anyway, might as well have something to show for it, like Nylander, for example.

If you tried trading him to Babcock my guess is he would retire before reporting.

Even if Hank greenlights a trade, I would hope we wouldn't make him go back to working under a guy that from multiple reports over the years he is not fond of at all. I know he doesn't have a NTC, but he should be allowed to dictate the place he is going to if in fact he does ask to be traded.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017

I doubt Toronto gives up much from the roster.
But they'd probably deal Liljegren +

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
not for someone at age 37 who still has 3 years on his contract after this season with a 6 mil cap hit

Every team trading for Z knows that this year or next year is it.
After that, he either retires or goes on LTIR.
If he retires, that's Detroit's problem.
If he LTIRs, then the cap hit isn't such a headache. Even if it is, you can deal it to Arizona.

The Hossa situation indicates the cap penalty situation will likely be a lot less damaging for Detroit.

That takes away Detroit's fears of moving him.

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
Every team trading for Z knows that this year or next year is it.
After that, he either retires or goes on LTIR.
If he retires, that's Detroit's problem.
If he LTIRs, then the cap hit isn't such a headache. Even if it is, you can deal it to Arizona.

The Hossa situation indicates the cap penalty situation will likely be a lot less damaging for Detroit.

That takes away Detroit's fears of moving him.

You might be able to move him, but you're not going to get a team to overpay and deplete their prospect pool to get him

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
You might be able to move him, but you're not going to get a team to overpay and deplete their prospect pool to get him

It depends how seriously a team wants to go for the Cup.
That's what it always comes down to.
Remember in 2013 when the Penguins traded 2 2nd round picks for Doug f***ing Murray?

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
If a team like the rangers,leafs or habs traded for hank they might be able to get him to proling his career if he got some endorsement deals in one of those markets to supplement his nhl salary. Man could the habs ever use him for a couple years.

Beltv

Apr 13, 2017
If he were moved....what teams could realistically do it with the cap space? What teams have the spot for him and are serious contenders?

NYR could use a C
Chicago could probably use some depth on C/W
What about Anaheim? Ottawa?

I'd retain up to 2m depending on the package. At this point I would also be looking to move Green, Mrazek as well. Free up some space and letting the kids take over. Get a couple firsts plus our high end first. Would be a great year to do it...And I like our odds at being competitive again quick

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
There’s no way New York takes zetterberg.

Why not?

First of all, they have 1st rounders for 3 next drafts. They have the assets to buy him.

They have almost 3M of cap space, which will grow for 11M for the trade deadline. So they can fit him in.

CURRENT CAP SPACE
q.svg
: $2,948,036
DEADLINE CAP SPACE
q.svg
: $11,571,041
TODAYS CAP HIT
q.svg
: $72,416,111

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/rangers

Rangers will also have 23 million cap space for 2018-19 season.

C'mon, build that Swedish MAFIA with Lundqvist there.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Why not?

First of all, they have 1st rounders for 3 next drafts. They have the assets to buy him.

Because Z really doesn't move the needle for them and those assets would be better spent on someone younger, or just banking the cap space to go after someone like Atkinson, Tavares, or Turris over the summer.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Because Z really doesn't move the needle for them and those assets would be better spent on someone younger, or just banking the cap space to go after someone like Atkinson, Tavares, or Turris over the summer.
Which is why the general manager of a team is paid to determine when a window of contention has ended, and ideally get something in exchange for any remaining assets while they still have value.

I know all this is probably moot, since it would hinge on Zetterberg wanting to be traded in the first place, but it's still been incredibly frustrating - and a giant waste of an opportunity - to see everything falling apart in slow motion for so long, and a couple of 2nd/3rd rounders is all they have to show for it (thus far).

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Why not?

They have almost 3M of cap space, which will grow for 11M for the trade deadline. So they can fit him in.

CURRENT CAP SPACE
q.svg
: $2,948,036
DEADLINE CAP SPACE
q.svg
: $11,571,041
TODAYS CAP HIT
q.svg
: $72,416,111

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/rangers

Rangers will also have 23 million cap space for 2018-19 season.

C'mon, build that Swedish MAFIA with Lundqvist there.

They just traded a top 6 center to draft two really good 17 year old center prospects in the 1st round. They clearly shifted and are focusing on the future now.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
They just traded a top 6 center to draft two really good 17 year old center prospects in the 1st round. They clearly shifted and are focusing on the future now.
You know it's bad when even the Rangers are more proactive in rebuilding than you are.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Which is why the general manager of a team is paid to determine when a window of contention has ended, and ideally get something in exchange for any remaining assets while they still have value.

I know all this is probably moot, since it would hinge on Zetterberg wanting to be traded in the first place, but it's still been incredibly frustrating - and a giant waste of an opportunity - to see everything falling apart in slow motion for so long, and a couple of 2nd/3rd rounders is all they have to show for it (thus far).

I get ya, and I agree. The time to make those trades, though, were when Gator and Helm were in UFA years, maybe even Flip if you wanted to be really aggressive. Part of the reason I'm largely indifferent to a GM change is that I think we're locked into a lot of deals that won't be movable and there will only be so much a GM can do for the next few years. This is something I think we're going to have to ride out and hope for the best.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I get ya, and I agree. The time to make those trades, though, were when Gator and Helm were in UFA years, maybe even Flip if you wanted to be really aggressive. Part of the reason I'm largely indifferent to a GM change is that I think we're locked into a lot of deals that won't be movable and there will only be so much a GM can do for the next few years. This is something I think we're going to have to ride out and hope for the best.
Agree 99 percent. The other aspect is making sure the guy in charge doesn't continue to make those deals, extending the mess further down the road.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad