Would you trade Zetterberg if you can?

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
NHL made sure he won't be traded by implementing the recapture penalty. Unless there's a loophole to get out of that... then nope. Not a chance in the world.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
Only if he requests a trade. I'm guessing he would prefer LTIRetirement over a trade though

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
NHL made sure he won't be traded by implementing the recapture penalty. Unless there's a loophole to get out of that... then nope. Not a chance in the world.

Z's recapture just isn't overly relevant. He's not Shea Weber, and his hit isn't going to prevent us from resigning Mantha/Larkin. It's, at worst, $5m for one or two seasons (assuming he doesn't retire at the end of this year, in which case it's only $4m), and that's just not relevant on a team that would have obviously given up all playoff aspirations by trading him.

Kronwall would also come off entirely, in the final year (as would Franzen, which might be relevant depending on future injuries/LTIR issues).

The only reason you don't trade Z is because him retiring here is more important than any return you'd get (i.e. you don't trade him unless he asks to be traded, or preemptively OKs a trade). That said, if he asks, or is ok with going to a contender at the TDL, I trade him in a heartbeat. He shouldn't have to waste his last years trying to pour water from a thimble onto a garbage fire.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Meh, if Wings can trade him for a young NHL player who already performs like a $4 or $5 million player still on their entry-level contract for 2 years, then I'll be for it.

But I don't see that happening. basically that would be a Mitch Marner type.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Ask Z what he wants to do, if he is open to going to a contender before retiring I try to make it happen. If he wants to remain here I respect that.

Reactions: Cyborg Yzerberg

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
I would sure,would do the team more good to get some assets for him at this point since they aren't gonna be competing for anything anytime soon

but at the same time I realize that it's flat out not happening unless he asks for it,and i'm not too bothered by it because that's just the way things tend to be with guys like that(and not just on the Wings)

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Honestly, if he wanted to go try win another Cup, and we could get a first rounder for him, I do it. It would suck seeing him play elsewhere, but its a business, and trading Z at this point in his career for an asset is good business management. I wouldn't trade him for spare parts though, but I'd take a first. I hope this year's draft is as deep as some articles I am reading. Really hoping a contender tosses us a 1st for Green at the deadline.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
If he is gonna retire after this season, TRADE.

(And of course if we are out of the playoff hunt with +10 points at the deadline...)

His value is 2x 1st rounder.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I would never ask or want him to be traded, he deserves to retire here. Only way is if he wanted to win another cup in which case I would be fine with it, but that is the only way. I know we could get a decent return for him, but loyalty for a guy like him, is more important to me.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
If he is gonna retire after this season, TRADE.

(And of course if we are out of the playoff hunt with +10 points at the deadline...)

His value is 2x 1st rounder.
That might be his value to Detroit, but I don't see a single team in the league giving up two first rounders for Hank. One? Absolutely. A first and either a second or a third? Maybe. But two firsts is very steep, even if those firsts are in the last few picks of the round.

But hey, there's a sucker born every minute, so if you do find somebody who will give up that much, I'd do that deal any day of the week, even if the Wings end up getting burned on the recapture penalty. If the draft hype for 2018 and 2019 is even halfway accurate, two first rounders is a whole lot of ammo.

Not to mention, if they ever did pull that off, it's a given that they're trading Green as well, which collectively all but guarantees a top 5 pick. (Arizona is the only team I see giving a roster w/o Zetterberg and Green a run for their money for bottom of the standings, so 'worst case scenario' would be sliding from 2OA to 5 OA, if the lottery was as unlucky as possible.)

Last edited:

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
That might be his value to Detroit, but I don't see a single team in the league giving up two first rounders for Hank. One? Absolutely. A first and either a second or a third? Maybe. But two firsts is very steep, even if those firsts are in the last few picks of the round.

But hey, there's a sucker born every minute, so if you do find somebody who will give up that much, I'd do that deal any day of the week, even if the Wings end up getting burned on the recapture penalty. If the draft hype for 2018 and 2019 is even halfway accurate, two first rounders is a whole lot of ammo.
I think it's his value. Even for a rental of his caliber the price is high. Maybe not two actual firsts but definitely a first plus the value of a first in add ons. You just don't see centers of his ability become available.

TheMule93

May 26, 2015
Ontario
The one reason it will never happen is that if Holland traded Z it would mean he would be admitting to doing a rebuild. He's said countless times he doesn't want to rebuild, just retool.

Reactions: avssuc

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

But hey, there's a sucker born every minute, so if you do find somebody who will give up that much, I'd do that deal any day of the week
, even if the Wings end up getting burned on the recapture penalty. If the draft hype for 2018 and 2019 is even halfway accurate, two first rounders is a whole lot of ammo.

Not to mention, if they ever did pull that off, it's a given that they're trading Green as well, which collectively all but guarantees a top 5 pick. (Arizona is the only team I see giving a roster w/o Zetterberg and Green a run for their money for bottom of the standings, so 'worst case scenario' would be sliding from 2OA to 5 OA, if the lottery was as unlucky as possible.)

So you would trade Zetterberg for Jakub Kindl and Brendan Smith? That is what trading for very late firsts can get you. Even in a good draft, late firsts usually turn into just average NHLer's like Riley Sheahan.

TheMule93

May 26, 2015
Ontario
So you would trade Zetterberg for Jakub Kindl and Brendan Smith? That is what trading for very late firsts can get you. Even in a good draft, late firsts usually turn into just average NHLer's like Riley Sheahan.

That's better value than nothing, plus there's always the chance we draft someone better than that. We've been doing fairly well in the first round recently. Plus this draft is as deep as any I can remember.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad